Tom's travels - Hua Hin after dark

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Big Boy

Re: Tom's travels - Hua Hin after dark

Post by Big Boy »

uncle tom wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm Father Ted's

1) There are six seats at the bar and a TV on the wall behind, But only two people can get an unobstructed view of the TV due to the nine massive and ugly beer taps on the bar.

- Every brewer the world over makes oval badges for T bars. Get rid of those monsters and install three, triple gang, low level T bars instead, that people (and the staff) can see over.
I've just come from Father Teds, and 2 things came to mind:
  • Are you vertically challenged? I'm not sizeist, and this is a genuine question. Nobody in my party (including 2 x 5' Thai ladies) were inconvenienced by the beer taps, and agreed they could have watched TV from a bar stool.
  • This is quite a large bar, with numerous TVc all capable of showing a multitude of different channels. If you wanted to watch TV, why did you sit at the bar?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I've just come from Father Teds, and 2 things came to mind:
Are you vertically challenged? I'm not sizeist, and this is a genuine question. Nobody in my party (including 2 x 5' Thai ladies) were inconvenienced by the beer taps, and agreed they could have watched TV from a bar stool.
This is quite a large bar, with numerous TVc all capable of showing a multitude of different channels. If you wanted to watch TV, why did you sit at the bar?
No - I'm over 6ft - but sitting at that bar I realised that there are only two seats where those monstrous (and grubby) beer taps don't cut across your view of the screen.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Roma restaurant

Location: Heading east down Selakam, take the left fork at Limelight bar, about 50m down on the right hand side.

When I reviewed the neighboring Da Capo restaurant there was a comment from europtimiste that New Roma was better.

Forgetting that he had said 'new' I decided to check the 'old' Roma next door to Da Capo.

Tables in this restaurant are a little smaller and more closely packed than in Da Capo, but for those who are averse to tobacco smoke there are no ashtrays here (but I didn't see a 'no smoking' sign either)

The table cloth arrangement is similar, albeit a different colour scheme. The glassware was 'bar standard'; rather than the slightly superior offering next door.

The staff were pleasant and 100% Thai..

If you opened a Thai restaurant in the UK, staffed it with British staff and then sent a Thai in to review it, there's a very high chance that they'd spot something wrong.

Thus it is that when you staff a western restaurant in Thailand with 100% Thai staff, mistakes are likely to happen.

Both my pasta (tagliatelle) and my companion's spaghetti were slightly under-cooked, making them heavy going. Neither of us finished. Everything else however was fine.

Pricing in this restaurant appears to be roughly in line with the neighbouring Da Capo, so whilst it might be the case that New Roma is better, old Roma (at this visit at least..) ain't!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Year of the rat

I was woken at an indecently early hour yesterday by a string of firecrackers close to my room.

The succession of intermittent crackers going off reminded me of a business trip to China I made about 20 years ago, which happened to coincide with the most auspicious day of the year to get married. There were wedding parties everywhere, and then, late in the evening, and continuing into the small hours, I heard cracker strings going off near and far.

I was told a traditional Chinese wedding party doesn't end until the groom has deflowered his bride, and that upon hearing her virgin scream, crackers are lit and the guests disperse. I imagine that with modern high rise hotels in cities that can be a little tricky to arrange, but the crackers still signal the end of the party.

Throughout the day yesterday there were the little burnt offering of fake money with massive denominations (usually drawn on the Bank of Hell) along with paper gold leaf, paper ingots and other items of supposed value made of paper.

There were also the food offerings, some small, some lavish - everyone does their own thing at their own time.

And then there were the dragon dances - some long dragons and some little baby ones carried by young children, along with the discordant drum and cymbals, the drum mounted on wheels.

Most of the girls in Bintabaht wore red - or something red - last night, to welcome the dragons into their bars. Where a visit was not expected, they dressed as usual.

In the bar I was sitting, the mamasan handed her girls red envelopes - a red envelope is for money. They wouldn't show me how she had given them, but they didn't seem overwhelmed - I suspect the gift is more symbolic than anything else.

A strange cocktail of tradition and informality.
JayTee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JayTee »

>>In the bar I was sitting, the mamasan handed her girls red envelopes - a red envelope is for money. They wouldn't show me how she had given them, but they didn't seem overwhelmed - I suspect the gift is more symbolic than anything else.<<
Also depends on whom you're handing the red pkts (ang-pows) to.
If at a temple or to peers, receiving and exchanging these are for luck but for those that are in 'trades' where money or tips (and those at the 'receiving' end) is dependent for a living and expectations are on 'gracious' generousity, giving it and saying that it's symbolic or luck won't cut it:)
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

When working in China the annual bonus was given in cash in a red envelope and was just between you and your employers. Tax man was not involved.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Green Onion

Location: Opposite the police station, Soi 61, about 50m from the traffic lights on the south side.

The full name of this establishment is Green Onion BBQ and Craft Beer Bar. Originally run by an American, it closed in mid 2018 before being taken over a year ago by it's current owner, a retired civil engineer from Wolverhampton, who retained the name.

It being mid afternoon, I only dropped in for a few beers (60 for a small Leo, happy hour rate) but looked at the menu whilst there. This is quite varied, but majors on BBQ items such as ribs and pulled pork. The pricing seemed a bit steep, but when I chatted with the owner, Brian, I realised just how invested he was in his food offerings. After a lifetime as a wage slave building motorways and power stations, he is now doing what he is really passionate about.

The seating is functional but hard - some cushions would not go amiss.

A gourmet cafe - different, and worth checking out.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Last night I took a stroll down Soi 80.

The Hut - is open again, but at 8pm had only one girl on parade.

I had it in mind to sample a Soi 80 eatery and wandered into Angie's Bistro. Although there were two tables spare, the manager explained that he'd just had a rush of people sit down and service would take 45 minutes. Appreciating his candour, I promised to return another day.

Further down the Soi I smelt the distinctive smell of liver and onions. It made me hungry, but where was it coming from? The cafe formally known as Victoria 2 and now re-christened Grumpys was the obvious suspect, but that was shut.

As I tried to work it out, a pro-active lady waving a sign coaxed me to settle for a 60 baht beer and I sat on the bar's street front bench with a Finnish flag alongside. Looking up I clocked the bar was called euro bar

The bar had five ladies milling around, but with an average age of well over 40. One of them, although probably just over 40, had fine features and a stunning slim figure. She must have been very sought after when she was younger, and still a fair catch for anyone seeking an older lady.

Across the road was a Thai cafe, no English name but a keenly priced menu that had some vague English translations. I was about to order when I learned they were closing for the night.

Pizzas were being ferried up and down the Soi, from where was not quite clear, but one of the bar girls hailed the lady delivering them and a menu appeared. A Hawaiian cost me 240 and arrived at the bar in about ten minutes. The pizza itself was good, but I was a bit concerned about the hygiene of the charred and deeply knife scarred wooden block on which it was served.

Where did that smell of liver and onions come from.?
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I had arranged to take the manager of a Poonsuk Rd massage shop out for a drink after she finished work.

Arriving at 11pm she told me that one of the girls had a late customer and she wouldn't be able to lock up for another half hour, so I walked down the road.

OMG bar

Location: Poonsuk Rd. Heading north from the Bintablock area, this is the last bar you come to. Located on the west side of the road about 30m north of Selakam.

Drab and slightly scruffy bar. Few staff and the girl behind the bar looked bored and disinterested. Prices high end - 90/100 for small beers, 180 for wine.

After one drink I went next door.

Stone bar

Brighter and more cheerful bar, with a friendly girl behind the bar, but the 'talent' on parade was third rate. I soon realised that this bar was in the same ownership as the one next door and had the same high prices.

After one more drink I went to find my date and we went to Nees Tiki - far more convivial (and cheaper)

Basically, if you're cruising for female company and something catches your eye in either of these bars, then venture in. Otherwise, keep walking - there are better and cheaper places to get a drink.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

One year ago, with a friend we had very pleasant time at OMG bar. Asking the meaning a girl told us OMG= Old Man Good.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

europtimiste wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:30 pm One year ago, with a friend we had very pleasant time at OMG bar. Asking the meaning a girl told us OMG= Old Man Good.
You have a friend???
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

migrant wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:35 pm
europtimiste wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:30 pm One year ago, with a friend we had very pleasant time at OMG bar. Asking the meaning a girl told us OMG= Old Man Good.
You have a friend???
Soi dog.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Migrant and Nereus, two typical ahls. from this forum.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

You bring all the negativity on yourself, europtimiste, and apparently on purpose.

3 posters, an overview (ok, my overview! :laugh: ):
Migrant: American, accountant, retired, recent(ish) arrival, not a bad word to say (usually)
Nereus: Aussie, retired, long-term resident, helicopter pilot, engineer, Landrover expert, can be a grumpy old sod
europtimiste: well, 'nuff said really, and because of your attitude nobody cares...
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

dtaai-maai wrote:Nereus: Aussie, retired, long-term resident, helicopter pilot, engineer, Landrover expert, can be a grumpy old sod
I resemble that. :tsk:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!