Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Post by Big Boy »

I've started a new thread because I don't want this to distract information about the spread of this virus. This thread should contain precautions that can be taken against infection only.

I've been chatting with friends this morning, and the subject of the Wuhan virus came up, and what precautions people will take to minimise risk.

I must admit, I hadn't really considered any special precautions - just rely on the medics finding a treatment as soon as possible e.g.:
  • I went out last night and sat in a bar,
  • I travelled both ways by public taxi.
  • Mrs BB is currently at Hua Hin Hospital having a check-up (where worse?)
  • I will be at Market Village later, shopping.
  • Tomorrow, I intend attending 2 Chinese New Year events.
Basically, I hadn't intended changing anything - life would continue as normal.

My friends on the other hand:
  • Have cancelled a visit into Hua Hin tonight to see us because there will be too many people in town for New Year celebrations.
  • Will be confining themselves to home as much as possible.
  • Will restrict themselves to Makro (rarely crowded) for shopping.
I'm wondering what precautions others are taking to avoid infection (FFS they don't even know how the virus is being passed on). Are most people sticking their head in the sand as I have been? Please feel free tell me if I'm being stupid, but if you do, advise what precautions I should be taking.

I accept I'm being blase about infection at the moment, and would appreciate advice on what we should all be doing.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Wuhan Virus Precautions

Post by thecolonel »

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/do ... ak-evolves

You've probably seen......

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Not doing anything different at all at the moment. The exception is avoiding Pattaya and the masses of tourists this weekend as explained in the other thread. We would do that virus or no virus anyway unless something special going on.

I've got some face masks on order but that is because of the air pollution everywhere, not this virus.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I will not be going to any crowded place for the next few weeks. How infective this virus is is a mystery, but to go anywhere where there may be Chinese visitors would be insane. Drinks on the patio with a few friends is the way to go.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This thread is dedicated to serious matters associated with this virus. Please keep it that way.

All nonsense posts deleted.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Sneezing in a recklessly unhygienic manner(and places) is a very serious matter directly related to this topic

OK maybe I hammed it up a bit.. but my point was genuine!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A post I made suggesting that a Thai Wai rather than a handshake was a preferred method of greeting even though the World Health Org recomended that handshakes are inappropriate.
Crafack
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Crafack »

I believe that keeping a general good hygiene is the best way to go:
  • Wash your hands throughly after being out & about.
  • Don't wipe your eyes/nose/face with your hands if they are not newly washed.
  • Avoid touching surfaces like handrails, door handles and the like if possible.
  • Use your hip to push open swinging doors.
  • Avoid getting caught in the middle of a bunch of chinese tourists, if possible (always a good advice :D )
If you or anyone you know insist on using alcogel or any other kind of hand sanitizer, remember that it won't do you any good unless you rub your hands with it for at least 30 seconds. If the product is gone before the time is up, you didn't use enough.

/Crafack
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

[Mod Edit] Irrelevant post removed.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Agree with Crafack, personal hygiene may help prevent the virus'.

I was in Singapore during the SARS outbreak and the cleaners in all shopping malls, MRT stations and offices were continually going up and down escalators and stair handrails with disinfectant cloths.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

I personally are not very social and like it that way and have never seen the great need for sitting down with acquittances or strangers for drinking either coffee or beer and discuss world problems and do not plan to change the way Iam the coming weeks/months.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

The LHG (especially) and I are hugely concerned, with having family & friends in China - mostly Chongqing. Stories that not only face masks, but also eye and ear protection should be worn don't help. You can't avoid touching handles, handrails etc., etc., so a good idea is always to carry a small alcohol sanitizer.

We're also sending face masks across - can you believe prices for them in China (where and if available) have quadrupled at a minimum - these pr*cks have no soul. They want to make an extra few even in this time of need and couldn't give a flying monkey for their fellow countrymen.... SAD!! :roll: :banghead:

Our nephew who works for Air China (worrying enough) and tells us that face masks are provided, but these are cheapest of the cheap useless pieces of tissue - what can you expect?

I would say common sense with regards to sanitation and wear a face mask - then again, will that really stop anything? Worrying times quite frankly.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Precautions advised by the WHO, CDC etc include the following:

Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness, such as coughing and sneezing.

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.

If you're the one feeling sick, cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, and disinfect the objects and surfaces you touch.

Some medical authorities are saying that wearing a mask may help to prevent the spread of the disease, although it is not guaranteed to provide 100% protection.

The most commonly worn, cheap and disposable masks, known as the surgical masks, will limit - but not eliminate - the chance of inhaling large infectious particles circulating near the face, according to an assistant professor at Emory University School of Medicine.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Doctors agree that in time, most people will recover without treatment. People at risk are older people who have underlying health issues, like heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes. (That's the same demographic who is most at risk of dying from illnesses like the flu.)

The current fatality of 3% is considered over stated based on the assumption that because the majority only have mild symptoms, there are many who have not reported sick. If everyone with the virus was counted then the recorded fatality rate would drop.

It appears that normal healthy people will get symptoms of different severity but should recover without treatment.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Even if the 3% figure is the true fatality rate (and as @HHTel says, it's probably overstated) it still gives a 97% survival rate. Doctors in France, where they've confirmed 3 cases, are characterizing it as being less serious than either SARS or MERS - based not just on those cases but on information from colleagues worldwide.