Customs clearance red channel at Suvarnabhumi

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Bringing a watch from the UK

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:49 am
Pagey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:19 am A friend is bringing me a new watch in it's box from the UK next week as it's currently unavailable over here.

He's now a bit worried about getting stopped at customs, is it likely? Has anyone been stopped carrying 'luxury' goods or similar?
All of the posts that I’ve read recently, including travelling into Thailand on the 2nd October have not indicated any increase in Customs checking so the chances of getting stopped are fairly low - but just in case, does it have to be brought in a box?
He could wear it.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Customs clearance red channel at Suvarnabhumi

Post by Pagey »

I have told him to wear it but if ever I want to resell it the original box and papers increase the resale value and prove it's provennace that it was bought from an authorised dealer.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hopefully they won’t charge customs duty on an empty box!! :duck:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pagey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:11 am I have told him to wear it but if ever I want to resell it the original box and papers increase the resale value and prove it's provennace that it was bought from an authorised dealer.
Put the box and papers in your luggage and the watch in the hand luggage. I once brought two new new watches and one pre-owned with me from the UK and had then in my hand luggage, got stopped at LHR and showed receipts for the first two. At Thailand just walked through. If it's only one box, you could simply post it instead.

I am not sure box and papers increase the resale value for most brands, just a few mid and high level watches. But will certainly stop any low ball offers in their absence.

Curious about the brand. Just about all major brands are available here and at much less VAT than the UK/EU. I regularly visit watch centres in Bkk and have bought several watches here, enjoying discounts on new watches that would never be offered in the UK.
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Mrs M and I came in to Swampy at 11pm last night from a connection in Korea. The plane (A360, 380?? 2 floors) was full of Koreans. We were delayed getting to immigration even though we were one of the first ones off (bus class). By the time we did get to immigration the foreign lines were back down the ramp and into the terminal. The Thai passport line took us 5 minutes and by the time we got to carriage 18 our bags were down.

Since each of 4 massive suitcases were full of stuff you aren't supposed to bring back (mostly Mrs M but 3 large cigar packages per case) I'd say the scanning people were asleep. As we walked past the customs by the exit there were 3 people too busy talking to care about work (thanks!!).

All told from plane landing to getting in our prearranged ride maybe 45 minutes. The fastest through except for the time I came back in the first plane when Thailand was finally open after covid (that time they were pushing us through).

So 305 cigars to smoke before depending on customs again.

The only cases I've read about the customs scanning catching someone was tourists from China bringing in jewelry, etc. Maybe they weren't interested in cigars and the Missus various foods and plants.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.