Purchasing an Air Fryer

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Purchasing an Air Fryer

Post by handdrummer »

I'm thinking about buying an air fryer. Any opinions on what brand, model and where to purchase?
Big Boy

Re: Purchasing an Air Fryer

Post by Big Boy »

I bought from Lazada last week. I purchased the one they keep advertising on Thai TV. Only 2/3rds of the bargain TV price.
Absolutely marvellous for things like sausages and thin steaks. Mixed reaction with things like chips. OK for shoestring chips, but still battling with thicker home made chips.

Basically still experimenting with it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I know in F & C shops they double fry them. I tried this--my instructions said 25-30 mins. I cooked for 15min--let them rest for 15-20 mins then gave them another 15 and they were so crispy. At first I could not believe the instructions for some items--one tablespoonfull of fat--but its true. Cooks well, 1 minute clean up.
I think its like m'wave, you don't need a lot of bells and whisiles.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I had a Tefal Actifry when I was in UK (Cyprus too when I was living there). One of my first purchases when I re-located here (Hua Hin). Bought it from Powerbuy on Petchcasem Rd/Soi 88 junction. Around about 3K Baht but worth every Baht.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 am one tablespoonfull of fat--but its true.
I'm only a novice air fryer. I'm actually amazed to hear you even mention fat or oil, but this could well be where I'm going wrong. I've watched the full feature length advert on Thai TV several times. No mention of fat or oil, and a perfect meal every time, of course.

So, is this where I am going wrong?

[Edit] Although shoestring chips come out every bit as good as McDonalds or Burger King - neither of which I like.

Points 48; Position 20
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

BB.
My Actifry needs a teaspoonful of oil ( there is a small plastic measure include) and 30 minutes when I do Chips etc. I like Chicken wings, no need to add any oil because the skins have enough fat content anyway. Again 30 minutes ...... delicious.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you - I feel an experiment coming on for lunchtime :D

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think you have to experiment a bit. I have a Teflon Actifry Original, which I have had for a few years and it's great for bacon, sausages and the like, for which I don't use any oil at all, but you have to turn them a little bit quicker than normal to start with to stop them sticking. I add oil to pork and lamb chops to stop them going dry, especially pork chops, which are cut so thick here and can dry out, so that I now only buy them when I can find thinner cuts. It cooks oven ready chips well but each brand seems to take a different time to cook. I just keep an eye on them.

I have now taken delivery via my other half from Bkk, of a Phillips air fried substitute deep fat fryer thingy, which I haven't used yet. Real chips will be first on the list, I guess I will have to experiment with spud types. I am also looking forward to doing my own banana fritters!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:19 am Thank you - I feel an experiment coming on for lunchtime :D
I was impatient - it worked :D

Points 48; Position 20
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

:thumb:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:I bought from Lazada last week. I purchased the one they keep advertising on Thai TV. Only 2/3rds of the bargain TV price.
Absolutely marvellous for things like sausages and thin steaks. Mixed reaction with things like chips. OK for shoestring chips, but still battling with thicker home made chips.

Basically still experimenting with it.
I was hoping that at some point you might let slip the actual brand/model of your new fryer.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here's a photo of the box. Otto do an almost identical machine, also advertised extensively on Thai TV.
DSC01611.JPG
DSC01611.JPG (70.15 KiB) Viewed 1609 times

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

That's like the Phillips thingy I mentioned above. The Teflon one I have is much smaller in height, but much wider and cooks in a different way.
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Thanks BB. Lots of sellers on Lazada.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Gave up on our Actifry after consistently cr@p chips/fries - however reading some of the comments here, may have to dust it off and have another go.
:thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.