Vegetable Seedlings and Seeds

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Vegetable Seedlings and Seeds

Post by bigston »

Ive noticed quite a few garden plant shops along the main roads, and as yet have not been able to get up to Vanasom, which looks like a Biggie...
do many / any of these places sell vegetable seedlings in punnets / small pots.
do they sell seeds.

If i had posted from Australia to Thailand, some sealed packets of seeds , would they make it to the receivers address.
Thanks for any info, advice.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Vegetable Seedlings and Seeds

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 am Ive noticed quite a few garden plant shops along the main roads, and as yet have not been able to get up to Vanasom, which looks like a Biggie...
do many / any of these places sell vegetable seedlings in punnets / small pots.
do they sell seeds.

If i had posted from Australia to Thailand, some sealed packets of seeds , would they make it to the receivers address.
Thanks for any info, advice.
I’ve never seen vegetable seedlings for sale - that doesn’t mean they don’t exist but they are not common that’s for sure. I’ve brought seeds with me from the UK and had limited success - even seeds like tomato and cucumber that enjoy a hot temperature have been very hit and miss, particularly cucumbers.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, have ordered chili seeds from Oz before on eBay and they arrive no problems - can take a while though.

It will be a challenge growing anything that isn't native to Thailand due to the bugs and the climate.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thai Wasadu has a small selection of seeds. Have successfully grown a couple of types of tomatoes, although very small yield.

My daughter took several varieties of chilli seeds back to the UK and she tells me they are growing fine on her window sill (indoors)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not sure if the number is still correct, but the young fellow that owns the plant shop at the corner of Soi 19(?) went to school in Australia and speaks good English. "Tor", 086 765 7638. If he does not have any then I am sure he will know who does.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Lots of seeds available on Lazada. I bought Carolina Reaper seeds and Roselle(Hibiscus) seeds.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I've bought seeds at Golden Place, the one near The Baguette.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

What sort of quantities are you after?
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks for the suggestions of places and people who might stock seeds etc
We grow a range of veggies here in Aus each spring / summer season, primarily from Seedlings, and with good growing conditions over there hope to do the same year round..
I did rather hope to find an outlet for established Seedlings, rather than having to raise from seed,
maybe this concept is alien over there, hopefully not..
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Probably the only seedlings I have come across here in punnets are ornamentals and annuals such as petunias. Haven't come across any suppliers around Hua Hin Cha am that deal in seedlings for veggies during our travels. If you do decide to bring some seeds from Oz would suggest that you consider varieties that are suitable for tropical conditions rather than those varieties that are grown in the southern states. Pacific Seeds, a company I had commercial dealings with previously as part of our agribusiness may be able to advise you further with respect to suitable varieties (They also have a branch here and supply into Thailand.) The Gatton Agricultural College may also be a reasonable source of information also (Quite a few undergrad/post grad Ag students there from Thailand too!)
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thank Bluesky
we have a reputable seed provider here called Diggers, ive been in touch with them re what might and might not work over there.
The other info is appreciated and i'll follow up, if needed.
Im just amazed that with so many " imports " that surely would have grown things at their previous home, wherever, that some demand would be out there for seedlings,
or i guess no one bothers, a bit sad,
and the locals grow everything from seed...
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The only place I have seen seedlings is at the nurseries next to Or Tor Gor market in Chatuchak. These are basically for the hobbyists who are getting into hydroponics and are not cheap.
I think the main reason you don't see seedlings is because it is a lot easier to go to a local wet market and buy fresh veggies, and that a lot of the people don't have the place nor the patience to grow the veggies. The people who do have the place and the patience probably grow on a commercial scale anyway.
Most seeds come from a few local suppliers and are typically local varieties. I've tried imported seeds but they don't do well.
I've also dabbled in hydroponics (built my own) but that has been mothballed as I have other things to do and the time I do have left is spent trying to keep the garden in check..
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am Thank Bluesky
we have a reputable seed provider here called Diggers, ive been in touch with them re what might and might not work over there.
The other info is appreciated and i'll follow up, if needed.
Im just amazed that with so many " imports " that surely would have grown things at their previous home, wherever, that some demand would be out there for seedlings,
or i guess no one bothers, a bit sad,
and the locals grow everything from seed...
There are numerous outlets for seeds and all of them will be suitable for the local climate. It’s worth experimenting with a few of your imported seeds as some will no doubt be ok, but beware anything that requires more moderate temperatures. As for seedlings, if you do ever find anywhere selling 5hem then please report it here as I’m sure I and others will be interested.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

One thing I see all over that Thais grow is some kind of pole bean, or at least that's what I call them. Tall green vines climbing up a wall or some kind of pole structure, yielding these long green beans they eat uncooked with things like somtum and many other dishes.

I would imagine steamed or boiled with spices added of your choice they would make a good cooked vegetable at dinner.

It seems they can grow just about anywhere, even cracks in sidewalks up against housing estate walls! :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I use to cook them Asian style fried with pounded dried prawn and chili, adding some whole peanuts and chopped pickled radish for texture. It was only when I came to Thailand that I learnt how to eat and appreciate them raw.. :)
วินเชนท์