GM to withdraw from Thailand this year

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

GM to withdraw from Thailand this year

Post by PeteC »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... -this-year

General Motors (GM) announced it will stop selling Chevrolet vehicles in Thailand and sell its Rayong plant by the end of this year.

"Low plant utilisation [and low] forecast domestic and export volumes impacted the business case significantly," Andy Dunstan, GM president for strategic markets, alliances and distributors, said on Monday.

GM will continue to support existing Chevrolet customers for ongoing aftersales, warranty and repair work through its authorised service outlets.

GM Southeast Asia president Hector Villarreal said GM would provide its employees with better severance packages than those required under Thai labour law.

GM plans to sell its manufacturing plant in Rayong province to China's Great Wall Motors (GWM) by year's end.

"The acquisition of GM's Thai Rayong plant will help the business development of Great Wall Motors in Thailand and the Asean market. Great Wall Motors will expand through the entire Asean region with Thailand at the centre, and export its products to other Asean countries as well as Australia," GWM global strategy vice president Liu Xiangshang said.

GM entered Thailand in January 2000, later establishing two manufacturing facilities at Rayong's WHA Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate -- a vehicle assembly plant with annual production capacity for 180,000 units and a powertrain plant with annual capacity for 120,000 units -- with a combined investment of US$1.4 billion.

GM has 1,900 employees in the country, with 1,200 at manufacturing sites.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: GM to withdraw from Thailand this year

Post by Nereus »

Not just Thailand. It seems that GM are completely pulling out of manufacturing right hand drive cars.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... d349601d0e

https://www.caradvice.com.au/827459/hol ... -globally/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Aside from people losing their jobs, it's no great loss. GM doesn't make a great car and certainly not worth the prices they charge.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote:Aside from people losing their jobs, it's no great loss. GM doesn't make a great car and certainly not worth the prices they charge.
The Captiva is a lot cheaper than the equivalent from Toyota, Ford, Mitsubishi or Nissan - not saying it’s as good, but it’s certainly a lot cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Were they not merely rebranded Daewoos.I expect they will be even cheaper for a while but then once gone the parts will all be imported and become expensive.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:33 pm
handdrummer wrote:Aside from people losing their jobs, it's no great loss. GM doesn't make a great car and certainly not worth the prices they charge.
The Captiva is a lot cheaper than the equivalent from Toyota, Ford, Mitsubishi or Nissan - not saying it’s as good, but it’s certainly a lot cheaper

And some “lucky” People have managed to get a new Captiva at half price according to the Bangkok Post https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ea ... cheap-cars
buksida

Post by buksida »

Right, we just called the Hua Hin show room to ask about the 500k SUV worth over a million. Apparently its cash payment only and they're already "mot laew".

Who said Thailand was a poor country. Somehow I can't see queues of people ready to throw down 12,500 quid in cash for a discounted car in the UK. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I disagree - I’m sure if a brand of car was suddenly half price, the queues would be very long indeed.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't know many people with that amount of spare cash laying around - but then maybe I mix with the wrong crowds. :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And mark my words. Just wait until a couple of years, or even less, down the track and there are problems with some of the cars and no dealers. The same people that are tripping over themselves now will be jumping up and down, complaining to the government that they have been treated unfairly!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

They talk about hundreds of cars being sold at the 50% price, so out of a population of well over 60 million, it only needs a tiny percentage to hit those numbers - the opportunity of a “bargain” will soon get those with the money out and down to the showrooms, albeit as Nereus says, a few years down the road they may regret their decision

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Consumer groups warn Chevrolet buyers of risks

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... s-of-risks

Consumer advocacy groups have reminded prospective buyers of risks of buying Chevrolet cars after the US manufacturer announced its decision to pull out of Thailand.

The Foundation for Consumers and Office of the Independent Committee for Consumer Protection on Thursday said buyers should be wary of uncertainty as General Motors will pull its operation out of the country by the end of this year.

"Consumers risk being stranded with no after-sales services such as maintenance, spare parts supply and the quality guarantee of the product. They could face problems since the operator has announced the decision to end the production, distribution and all businesses in the country," said Paiboon Chuangthong, chairman of the Office of the Independent Committee for Consumer Protection.

The warning followed GM Thailand's campaign that gives an almost 50% discount as the carmaker wants to clear 5,000 vehicles in its stock before the closure.

Buyers rush to GM showrooms on Monday to snap up cars, especially the flagship Captiva SUV that sold like hot cakes.

The two consumer groups called on GM Thailand to continue after-sales services for at least four years to show its responsibility for the products sold to consumers.

Thailand has 300,000 Chevrolet cars registered in the country, with Captiva being the most popular model.

GM Thailand posted a message on its Facebook account saying its services would continue as usual for the time being, without specifying when they would scrap them.

In addition to consumers, owners and used-car dealers who have the brand in stock are worried about their future.

Pichit Phra-amphorn, who owns a Chevrolet pickup truck, said he suddenly started worrying about the availability of spare parts and other maintenances. "I think I will have to pay more for them," he said, adding he would not sell his vehicle due to its quality.

Suwit Thongmaeng, a mechanic in Chai Nat's Muang district, said Chevy owners should not overreact as independent factories could produce spare parts of the cars after the GM departure.

"It's the nature of the spare parts industry. Where there's demand, factories will produce parts to supply the market," he said.

Used-car dealers were also fretting about the brand in their stock as lenders will unlikely lend buyers when the manufacturer ceases the operation.

Boonthanom Phisoot, the president of the used-car dealers in Chiang Mai, urged the government to help Chevrolet owners to boost confidence for buyers.

Some second-hand car dealers will be indebted if they have stocked Chevrolet cars, he said.

Ekkawat Promviharn, a dealer for used cars in Chai Nat, said he planned to sell Chevrolet at cost or to offer credit to buyers.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

A friend in Australia told me that Holden, a GM product, I think, closed their plant with out warning. GM closed plants in the US last year. They'll probably just make trucks & Depends.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The Captiva's are all sold out.

Now wait for them to appear on the 2nd hand market as loans can't be met etc.

I feel for those who bought one at full price just recently. They will take a big hit.

Expect discounts off other models in due course.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:03 pm Now wait for them to appear on the 2nd hand market ...
... at ridiculously high prices.
This is the way