Govt wants state media monopoly in times of crises

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Govt wants state media monopoly in times of crises

Post by buksida »

The government’s proposal to monopolize news coverage during times of national crises drew criticism on Monday from media personalities, who warn that the measure risks eroding press freedom even further.

Digital economy and society minister Buddhipongse Punnakanta, who also heads the government’s “anti-fake news center,” puts forward the idea during a Senate meeting today. He was responding to queries over allegations that the media reported sensitive information during a mass shooting which killed 29 people earlier this month.

But the president of a prominent media guild opposed the measure, saying a one-sided news coverage is counterproductive in times of crises.

“I think this idea is inappropriate,” Peerawat Chotithummo, president of Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, said in an interview. “If only state news agencies are allowed to report news when there’s a crisis, people will question its credibility.”

Thapanee Eadsrichai, a Channel 3 anchorwoman and founder of online news agency The Reporters, also called it a dangerous slippery slope.

“This idea violates freedom of the press,” Thapanee said. “Indeed, reporters can sometimes make errors, but this can be minimized by setting up a news center. If there’s no one to officially keep reporters updated with the latest developments, they will have to seek their own sources for information.”

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics ... al-crisis/

This was touched upon yesterday, junta propaganda and fake figures simply cant be trusted - its getting more like China here every day ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Govt wants state media monopoly in times of crises

Post by VincentD »

Has been the practice for a long time. Back in 1992, the coup shut off all the media channels - this was a lot easier as there was only the telly to worry about and no one had any idea of what was going on. Except that I was one of the few 'preferred' people who was allowed to have a 12 ' satellite dish in my front garden. I was able to move the dish to the indosat channel and watch what was actually happening. Perhaps I need to recommision the dish..
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

True, when the current junta took over all channels were replaced by NCPO broadcasts and a similar thing happened during the 2006 coup.

Got a spare dish? :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The scary part is that there are Thais who think it's a good thing for the Government to control everything, as that will keep the peace.