Student protests in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Student protests in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

The police chief has said there will be an inquiry and also a tactical adjustment after criticism from the public last night. He has ordered the removal of the shipping containers at Din Daeng intersection and told riot police not to enter communities

https://tna.mcot.net/crime-763169
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:09 pm
HHTel wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:35 am
The only way to change a society is through the ballot box
Would agree in most other democracies. However Cha-cha-cha drafted the constitution in such a way that he can't lose. The senate for example are appointed, not elected, by himself.
Yes, the ballot box and elections mean nothing here. We have army coups, judicial coups (removing pm's), staged coups, forced disappearances and exile.

There is no peaceful way to make change.

Handrunner. The Wai comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. It's meaning was that they would no longer bow to the elites, as taught.
I understand that, that's why I said, there's no law that you have to wai.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:04 pmI understand that, that's why I said, there's no law that you have to wai.
No, I don't think you do understand.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:55 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:04 pmI understand that, that's why I said, there's no law that you have to wai.
No, I don't think you do understand.
What do you think it is that I don't understand? Don't just leave as an I'm right, you're wrong, I win situation.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

It was meant in a non literal sense. As in todays youths are rebelling against the old norm of accepting without argument everything they are told by the elites.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

sateeb wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:56 am It was meant in a non literal sense. As in todays youths are rebelling against the old norm of accepting without argument everything they are told by the elites.
Thank you, that's clearer.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks Sateeb and apologies HD.

And with perfect timing, here's an article from Khaosod that put's the Bangkok Post to shame. With the disaffected working class youth, currently protesting, explaining exactly why they are.

As a Thai I used to know once said to me about the 'know their place' segment of society, 'if you have no tomorrow, why worry about what happens today' or words to that effect.

It's a tribal thing.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/ ... rotesters/
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 pm Thanks Sateeb and apologies HD.

And with perfect timing, here's an article from Khaosod that put's the Bangkok Post to shame. With the disaffected working class youth, currently protesting, explaining exactly why they are.

As a Thai I used to know once said to me about the 'know their place' segment of society, 'if you have no tomorrow, why worry about what happens today' or words to that effect.

It's a tribal thing.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/ ... rotesters/
Apology accepted, thank you.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/ ... rotesters

Re this article; there are some parallels in the US. The poor, in many places, mostly the rural South and large cities, cannot get a quality education that would prepare them to find well paid jobs because it's hared to find teachers who will work in dangerous neighborhoods and the incentive to learn is missing. It's easier and more lucrative, prestigious and safer to be part of a gang and enter the drug and sex and crime trade.

They know that the police are their enemy. Even if not involved in those activities Black and Brown people are more likely than White or Asian people to be stopped by the police. All of that feeds into their mentality and they figure, what's the use.

Then there's the disintegration of the family and the lack of spiritual roots. Though that's less of a problem in Thailand.

I feel fortunate not to be growing up poor today. It was hard enough in my time but, at least, education was available and you had to be wanted by a gang to be able to join. They didn't go looking for recruits. Respect for elders was still the norm. Come the 1960's and it was all she wrote.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The major issue here is the wealth gap, which according to some reports last year is the greatest in the world in Thailand, and certainly the worst in ASEAN.

When ruling generals and oligarchs such as Mr. CP continue to make obscene profits while the country around them collapses and the people are suffering and going hungry, they're going to get pissed off. These rafts of draconian laws and the woefully inadequate education system are designed to keep the majority on the bottom while the elite gets fatter.

The police are the enemy here because they serve the state (and themselves), not the people.

protests.jpg
protests.jpg (95.98 KiB) Viewed 527 times

There are some good photos on the Khaosod social feeds, very little as usual in the other two English language rags, and nothing on junta-controlled TV channels.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

New police requirement for reporters working after curfew "onerous," says FCCT
The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand (FCCT) expressed its concerns after the Thai police threatened to arrest journalists covering protests after the 21.00 curfew and issued a list of preconditions for journalists to be allowed to work after curfew which some will be unable to meet.

For coverage after curfew, the police are requiring journalists to present a letter requesting coverage after curfew stamped by the Metropolitan Police, a press card issued by the Public Relations Department, and a letter of assignment from their news agency asking for post-curfew reporting.

https://prachatai.com/english/node/9460

Pretty obvious why they've kept extending the curfew ... f-all to do with covid.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

This offers good insight into who is protesting and why - its gone way beyond a bunch of hi-so inter students now ...

UNDERSTANDING THE VARIOUS THAI PROTEST GROUPS
The monarchy-reform and anti-government protests have come to a point over the past weeks where groups diverged and took a different path in an attempt to achieve their goals.

Here are the strengths and weaknesses of various opposition protest groups descending onto the streets of Bangkok and advice if you fancy joining or merely observing them in action.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/ ... st-groups/

They all want the same thing essentially - to see the end of the dictatorship, and have a say in their future.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ This report makes it seem like the Thalugas protesters (at Din Daeng) are just kids out to be violent just for the sake of it.

I read a report the other day (it might have been Thai Enquirer, Thisrupt, maybe even Khao Sod, I don't remember) which actually included interviews with some of the protesters. Many are from deprived / poor backgrounds. Some have lost parents to Covid when there were no hospital places available to those at the bottom of Thai society. Others are working to support family who have lost jobs due to Covid closures (working during the day then protesting after work). There are those who have nothing left to lose having been abandoned by the state.

None of the protest groups are going to stop when covid is "over". Possibly (probably?) their ranks will swell when (if) restrictions are lifted.
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:51 am None of the protest groups are going to stop when covid is "over". Possibly (probably?) their ranks will swell when (if) restrictions are lifted.
This is exactly why the junta will be very reluctant to lift the curfew/restrictions/SoE - it has absolutely nothing to do with covid control.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Trying to come up with a new TAT slogan to encourage tourists to come when there's a permanent curfew.