Songkran 2020

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Songkran 2020

Post by Lost »

Well, this year is going to be interesting!

We're a month or so away and, all things considered, were there to be big water fights in Thailand (in the current climate) it would shed a very bad light on Thailand. It would look very bad indeed.

I've not known of a cancelled Songkran in my 30 years enjoying the tradition. And I can't see the country holding back on the day...

But, given the restrictive measures put in place all over by World governments, I would say that Songkran is cancelled this year. And that's a shame as its a real treat for locals and tourists alike.

(as a long term resident I also understand there'll be some folks thanking the gods if it was cancelled :laugh:)

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Songkran 2020

Post by HHTel »

It has already been cancelled nationwide a few days ago:
Thailand has cancelled all public Songkran celebrations in a move driven by local authorities throughout the country and designed to prevent the kingdom from the threat of the Convid 19 coronavirus infection. Local chiefs throughout the country including Pattaya and Phuket in the last 24 hours have confirmed the news. It follows the cancellation of the Full Moon Party yesterday and new quarantine orders applicable to passengers from 6 high-risk countries.
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news- ... -clean-up/

There are other links. This was the first I came across.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

^

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I bet Pattaya, along with all its sex tourists and prozzies, will be in full swing on the day. And the day after.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Songkran in Pattaya lasts for TEN days from the 9th thru the 19th. I believe they call it the 'Pattaya Festival'.

All official activities have been cancelled including Wan Lai, the highlight of the celebration.
Authorities admit that although they can cancel all official activities, they are unable to stop people throwing water at their own choice. Kao San Road, I'm sure will celebrate as usual. There'll be no big 'foam parties' and other sponsored events.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Now 25 to 28 July
106967434_4597368416943656_152895433979652370_o.jpg
(214.63 KiB) Downloaded 1228 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well there's a good chance of getting wet whether water is thrown or falls from the sky!
Monsoon season is well under way in July with rainfall increasing from June and further increasing towards the end of the monsoon season. August does see a drop in average rainfall before the highest seen in September of 400mm. The average rainfall this month is 300mm that will fall over 18 to 19 days.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Good ! The usual death toll has not yet been reached. Give a chance.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This 4 day substitute Songkran 2020 weekend, is a mass influx of Bangkok folks evident in town? It should have started yesterday, or even Thursday night.

I've yet to see any water throwing anywhere, so perhaps it's not on the agenda this year if people think that in some way it spreads Covid.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

From what I can gather, this holiday has upset a few. Although we've all known about it for some time, it was only made official Wednesday. The delayed announcement has upset quite a few, not giving them chance to plan.

Having said that, my son went to the Circle last night, and it was the busiest he has ever seen it, so yes, Thai places are certainly benefiting. However, I guess the higher prices by Farang type bars may be keeping them empty. My son was talking 70฿ for a large beer last night.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Looking around yesterday, I saw quite a few wearing Songkran shirts but I think that's as far as it will go. There'll be no water fights. But if local traders are getting a boost, then it's all good.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I've locked the doors, put the dogs out, see you all Tuesday
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

While out food shopping this morning we noticed that even the banks were open - they normally shut for any reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

migrant wrote:I've locked the doors, put the dogs out, see you all Tuesday
More quarantine then.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

My partner went to Tamarind market kast night she said it was so busy kids were crying to get out of there!!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

hhinner wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:59 pm
migrant wrote:I've locked the doors, put the dogs out, see you all Tuesday
More quarantine then.
But in style this time!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.