A Covid-19 experience

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: A Covid-19 experience

Post by Lost »

The toilet seat thing has been pushed quite a lot in the west. Diagrams and the like showing the amount of dirty particle spread when a toilet is flushed without the seat down.

Not sure of its purpose when living alone in quarantine, mind. Suppose it doesn't get on the bathroom walls etc for the next arrival.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

huahin4ever wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm Or you have had Covid 19 illness and taken one vaccine shot 3 months after the infection. Only this shot required if you have had Covid, so now I have to wait 2.5 months since I have just finished 3 weeks with Covid 19!!
Up to you HH4ever but if you feel like it please give us details of how you caught it and what you went through? Glad to see you're on the mend. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What does the medical community know about this disease recurring in terms of those who never really get seriously sick, recover, and the virus is gone from their system per testing.

Are there cases where they caught it again and if so, how long afterwards?

I guess another question is if the immunity you obtain from having it is better and longer than the immunity you get from vaccination?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There are a number of documented cases of a second infection. Fortunately they are rare (at the moment) and the second infection is more often than not of a different variant.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

There have been cases where people who had recovered from CoVid-19, were re-infected but they have been fairly rare. If does seem to happen more often with the Delta variant however.

More worrying (to most people, including many medical experts) is the prevalence of "long Covid" where people recover from the initial infection but then suffer long term after effects). According to figures in the UK, there were already around a million people suffering from long Covid at the beginning of June. It seems to affect people who had mild infections and were never hospitalised just as much as those who had to go to hospital.

The immunity people get from an infection varies. It seems to depend how bad the infection was. The worse the infection, the higher the level of antibodies - although of course being seriously ill with Covid can be highly life-threatening and can leave you with serious health deficits, so it's hardly the recommended way of getting immunity.

Being infected can sometimes give you about the same level of protection as one dose of the vaccine but according to everything I've read, not as much as two doses. However some recent studies appear to show that being infected, then getting a single vaccine dose (of almost any kind) gives an even higher level of protection than two doses of the vaccine. Again, not recommended of course, just something to be aware of.

When you think about it this makes sense - studies show you can get a Covid infection from as little as a few thousand viral particles, whereas the vaccines typically deliver literally billions of particles that mimic the virus, invoking in almost all cases, a much more robust immune response than an infection.

It's also the case that being infected only seems to protect you against the specific variant you encountered whereas most of the vaccines (especially the Western ones) give fairly good protection against all the variants - except the Beta (South Africa) variant.

Disclaimer: This is based on many, many different articles I've read about CoViD - I'm not going to quote them all as it would take too long but I believe it's mostly accurate.

If other people have better info, please feel free to chip in.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:24 pm There have been cases where people who had recovered from CoVid-19, were re-infected but they have been fairly rare. If does seem to happen more often with the Delta variant however.

More worrying (to most people, including many medical experts) is the prevalence of "long Covid" where people recover from the initial infection but then suffer long term after effects). According to figures in the UK, there were already around a million people suffering from long Covid at the beginning of June. It seems to affect people who had mild infections and were never hospitalised just as much as those who had to go to hospital.

The immunity people get from an infection varies. It seems to depend how bad the infection was. The worse the infection, the higher the level of antibodies - although of course being seriously ill with Covid can be highly life-threatening and can leave you with serious health deficits, so it's hardly the recommended way of getting immunity.

Being infected can sometimes give you about the same level of protection as one dose of the vaccine but according to everything I've read, not as much as two doses. However some recent studies appear to show that being infected, then getting a single vaccine dose (of almost any kind) gives an even higher level of protection than two doses of the vaccine. Again, not recommended of course, just something to be aware of.

When you think about it this makes sense - studies show you can get a Covid infection from as little as a few thousand viral particles, whereas the vaccines typically deliver literally billions of particles that mimic the virus, invoking in almost all cases, a much more robust immune response than an infection.

It's also the case that being infected only seems to protect you against the specific variant you encountered whereas most of the vaccines (especially the Western ones) give fairly good protection against all the variants - except the Beta (South Africa) variant.

Disclaimer: This is based on many, many different articles I've read about CoViD - I'm not going to quote them all as it would take too long but I believe it's mostly accurate.

If other people have better info, please feel free to chip in.
Very interesting information thanks
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm bumping this one to see if huahin4ever wants to give us some insight. It's been 2.5 months. Last try on this one, hope you're well. :cheers:

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 am
huahin4ever wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm Or you have had Covid 19 illness and taken one vaccine shot 3 months after the infection. Only this shot required if you have had Covid, so now I have to wait 2.5 months since I have just finished 3 weeks with Covid 19!!
Up to you HH4ever but if you feel like it please give us details of how you caught it and what you went through? Glad to see you're on the mend. :cheers:
PeteC

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by PeteC »

I'm interested if anyone knows a foreigner who has tested positive, and was spirited off to a field hospital? What was their experience?

Or, did they return home and self quarantine which any clear thinking, responsible individual could do without difficulty. I would think they really wouldn't want foreigners in their warehouse type field hospitals where communication and dietary needs could prove difficult.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I got it most likely on my travel to work from Thailand to West Africa. Never really could pin-point exact where I got it so it was either on the flights or in the airports.

I was negative before departure and negative on arrival, but during quarantine 5 days later I felt something like a cold brewing. Tested the same day and I was positive.

Enden up in isolation and was positive for 24 days. Was quite sick for 4 days with affected lungs etc. but didn't need to be hospitalised.

I have more or less recovered now, but suspect maybe I have some long covid since I can feel slight numbness in joints and muscles.

YNWA

YNWA
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

huahin4ever wrote:I got it most likely on my travel to work from Thailand to West Africa. Never really could pin-point exact where I got it so it was either on the flights or in the airports.

I was negative before departure and negative on arrival, but during quarantine 5 days later I felt something like a cold brewing. Tested the same day and I was positive.

Enden up in isolation and was positive for 24 days. Was quite sick for 4 days with affected lungs etc. but didn't need to be hospitalised.

I have more or less recovered now, but suspect maybe I have some long covid since I can feel slight numbness in joints and muscles.

YNWA
Hi, could I ask if you were given any medication, or perhaps, self medicated? Thanks.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I got different things as antibiotics, calcium, vitamin C, but nothing special really.

YNWA

YNWA
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Thanks.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Guess I'll be part of the statistics tomorrow. Tested positive via ATK this morning. Only very mild symptoms - bit of a sore throat and runny nose is all.

Went to HHH, they gave me paracetamol, anti-histamines, cough medicine, Oral rehydration salts, Fah Talai Jone and told me to self-isolate for 10 days.

I wouldn't care but they charged me 300 Baht for the medicine and we already had all of it at home, except for the particular brand of ORS they gave me (though we have others).
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't think I would go report anywhere if I tested positive and had minor symptoms. Is it the law that people have to?

You get into these government data bases and your life may never be your own again for months or longer IMO. :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Post by hhinner »

GroveHillWanderer wrote:Guess I'll be part of the statistics tomorrow. Tested positive via ATK this morning. Only very mild symptoms - bit of a sore throat and runny nose is all.

Went to HHH, they gave me paracetamol, anti-histamines, cough medicine, Oral rehydration salts, Fah Talai Jone and told me to self-isolate for 10 days.

I wouldn't care but they charged me 300 Baht for the medicine and we already had all of it at home, except for the particular brand of ORS they gave me (though we have others).
What? No Favipiravir? Image