Bangkok mansion, city’s oldest private residence

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Bamboo Grove

Bangkok mansion, city’s oldest private residence

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I can't recall this building, although I'm sure, I must have walked in the area.
Bangkok mansion, city’s oldest private residence, still owned by family that built it 200 years ago, who say ‘Selling it would be like selling out’
The roof leaks, floorboards are loose and pillars cracked in the 19th century Hokkien-style house that’s been in the Posayachinda family for eight generations
To the Sino-Thai family their riverside home is a burden but also a privilege. They turned down US$64 million for it, despite lacking the funds to renovate it.

The Posayachinda family will not sell their old house. Not even for a vast sum, although it has fallen into disrepair and they cannot afford to renovate it.
The Sino-Thai family’s spacious ancestral home in a quaint riverside neighbourhood of Bangkok is a photogenic edifice in the Hokkien style with Thai elements.
Made of teak wood and brick, the house is called the So Heng Tai Mansion after the family’s progenitor, who migrated to the kingdom of Siam from Fujian province in southern China two centuries ago. The itinerant merchant struck it rich and built a grand home in Bangkok on the Chao Phraya River sometime in the early 19th century.
More with photos

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-cul ... WfHN4kcBpY