Our Car Memories

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Our Car Memories

Post by Dannie Boy »

As suggested by Big Boy, I’m starting a thread where we can reminisce about our 4 wheel memories.

My first car was a 1961 VW Beetle - I bought it for the princely sum of £35 from a woman at work. It was only firing on 3 cylinders, but a friend was an apprentice mechanic who took (one of) the offending cylinder head off and took it to work where they reseated the valves and it was soon firing on all 4 cylinders. I even completely resprayed it using an Electrolux vacuum cleaner - it was a cylinder model that effectively had “suck” at one end and “blow” at the other (I came across different models later in life that could do the same)!!

I then progressed (in a backwards sense) to a 1957 Morris Minor - another great little car that provided lots of happy memories.

I don’t know if I was typical but I changed my cars on a fairly regular basis and they included another VW Bettle (1966 1300cc), 2 Vauxhall’s Vivas (an HB and HC) a Renault 12 (very comfortable seats) 2 VW Golfs (1976 and 1984 versions) 2 VW Camper Vans (so many great camping holidays with the kids, especially those to France), a Triumph Dolomite 1850 (another car with comfortable seats). My first Company car was a 1992 Rover 418 SLD with the D standing for diesel (in those days diesels bore a strong affiliation to Massey Ferguson)!! I then had a further number of diesels including two Audi A4’s and the best a BMW 320 D.

I worked overseas for quite a few years and drove a number of different cars including a very primitive small Suzuki in Pakistan, a Honda Accord in Saudi and a Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and VW Passat in the UAE. Since retiring to Thailand I’ve had two Pajero Sports.

I’ve missed out one or two along the way, but these are my main motoring memories - let’s hear about yours?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Our Car Memories

Post by handdrummer »

First car , age 16, was a 1949 Mercury. $200. When I came to a stop, the things mounted on the steering column, under the bonnet (I assume mostly Brits reading this) would fall out of position and I would have to jump out, lift the bonnet, lift the things back into place, run back to the car and drive off before the cars behind me starting honking. 2nd. car, still in high school, a 1949 Oldsmobile, 88 convertible, all power everything. Nothing worked. I had to lower and raise the top by hand and not let the windows go all the way down or I couldn't raise them. Top speed about 50 mph. Last car, senior yr. 49 Plymouth 2 seater with a huge trunk that could hold my drum kit and a full size string bass. $200. It had been owned by a couple of lesbians, painted pink on the outside with a purple Naugahyde dash board. One day, as I stepped out the car, I hit my foot on something. Looked down and saw a chrome cap screwed onto a pipe. I removed the cap and it became a straight through exhaust system, loud as a motorcycle, and boosted the speed. After that most of my cars were normal and lasted more than 1 yr.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

bonnet (I assume mostly Brits reading this)
with a huge trunk
You mean 'boot' of course.....lol!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

For me it is quite a boring collection:

Mk III Cortina 2.0
Mk IV Cortina 1.6
Hyundai Sonata
Hyundai Stella
Vauxhall Cavalier
Vauxhall Vectra
Ford Ranger

However, whilst in the UK, in the last 22 years I always had at least one <6 month old hire car outside my house, and sometimes up to 4 if the hire company was slow collecting. I don't think there's anything from Ford Cortina size upwards that I haven't had temporary charge of from time to time. I used to have some very sporty models when travelling to and from Heathrow, which was frequent.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:53 pm
bonnet (I assume mostly Brits reading this)
with a huge trunk
You mean 'boot' of course.....lol!
Ah yes, mea culpa. I knew something wasn't right when I typed "trunk." I should have asked my wife for the correct word. :blues:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Hyundai Stella..Please don't tell me it was powder blue :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I don't remember the official colour, but it was gold.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

My first was a clapped out mini "estate", purchased for £25 which I finally managed to get running long enough to drive to the scrap yard (my old man was not impressed with my "Passion Wagon" :oops: ).

Went on to a hand-me-down VW Passat 1.6 which was a great car despite my 2 elder brothers trying to drive it into the ground!
Onto the use of a company Ford Sierra Estate - which was a piece of utter cr@p.
Then a bit of a pause as I began working extensively overseas - so (basic) hire cars where needed, although did have some great experiences driving some wonderful cars owned by bosses, colleagues and friends (a Maserati and Ferrari included).
In China I had a (made-in-China :( ) Hyundai Santa Fe, which was actually a very smooth drive and ideally suited to Chinese roads/drivers. However, I've driven the Korean made models which were/are far superior.
Back in the UK: -
MG Midget - great "Summer Fun", but simply too much work and garage bills.... Not to mention took an age getting in and out with my buggered knees! :oops:
Mercedes 220 CDI AMG - Superb car.
Upgraded to Mercedes 250 CDI AMG - Again superb, just that little bit quicker...
Porsche Boxster 2.7 - An oldie, but great fun to drive, especially around the roads of the Wye Valley with the roof down! :thumb:

The above two being my current cars... I think the favorite for me would be the VW Passat as it was my first "real" car and I have some great memories of those times.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

My best ever drive (well, the most fun at least) was in Pakistan - an old Willys jeep on loan from a friend ('Lord' Tarry, where are you now?) while he was back in the UK for a few months. Perfectly suited for the roads and tracks out there. Driving off road I managed to snap off the long CB whip antenna... :oops:
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I bought my first car from my Dad, an old ford custom. When I went to college and met some people that knew cars they asked "How much did you pay for this?" I told them and they said "Man you got ripped off, you paid too much".

When I saw my Dad next I told him and he said " Yes, I know, next time do your homework and know the value".

Never refunded any of it either
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The 2 most interesting vehicles I have driven.
The fisrt was a 1931 Benlley, with a gate gearbo, it was a pig to drive through Bromley in the rush hour. but on the open road it was lovely.
The second was in the army in Germany, our regiment had a 1934 scammell recovery truck, top speed 20 mph, it took 2 of us to turn the steering wheel on tight corners, I only drove once, got out off driving it again.
The worst I have owned was an old Ford popular, the windowscreen wipers were pneumatic, therefore every time you drove up a hill they would slow down. I was stationed in Blandford, in the morning it was up a steep hill to get to the camp. The wipers used to stop, so to see where you were going you stuck your head out of the window. That happened to me twice, after the second time I got rid of it.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 pm The worst I have owned was an old Ford popular, the windowscreen wipers were pneumatic, therefore every time you drove up a hill they would slow down. I was stationed in Blandford, in the morning it was up a steep hill to get to the camp. The wipers used to stop, so to see where you were going you stuck your head out of the window. That happened to me twice, after the second time I got rid of it.
You know you're getting old when all these distant memories start coming back to you...

In the early 60s my father had an old Ford Consul Mk II. The driver's door was kept shut by a piece of wood, and the pneumatic wipers got so bad they needed manual help. A piece of string tied round the nearside wiper fed through the little triangular window to be tugged by the 7-year-old me sat in the passenger seat. Oh joy, I loved it!

January 1976, age 18, driving my Austin Cambridge from Dieppe (off the ferry) down to south of Bordeaux overnight. About 500 miles. It started snowing after a couple of hours, and then the wipers packed up. Couldn't see a bloody thing. Stopped at a hotel, but couldn't afford it. Tried to sleep in the car but was freezing to death. I ended up putting some underpants over my head and driving with my head out the window at about 10 miles an hour... :laugh: I can laugh now, but it wasn't funny at the time!

Have you ever tried to find a windscreen wiper motor for an Austin Cambridge in France...?

However, that takes me on to one of the best cars I've ever driven, lent to me by a very kind and trusting lady at the school I was working at. A Citroen DS - can't remember which one, but of course it had the futuristic hydropneumatic suspension system. I felt like a king!

The worst car I've ever driven was undoubtedly a Ford Prefect. Aged 17 my mate and I were working as commis waiters at a hotel in Eastbourne over the Christmas/New Year period. My father had an accident and I had to go home urgently, so I borrowed my friend's Prefect. Three gears ( :shock: ) and syncromesh in 2nd and 3rd only. That was no problem until the mile-long really steep hill en route. I couldn't get it into first without stopping! Took me about half an hour to get to the top...
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:09 pm I bought my first car from my Dad, an old ford custom. When I went to college and met some people that knew cars they asked "How much did you pay for this?" I told them and they said "Man you got ripped off, you paid too much".

When I saw my Dad next I told him and he said " Yes, I know, next time do your homework and know the value".

Never refunded any of it either
:lach: :lach: Were our fathers related?!!
lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 pm The fisrt was a 1931 Benlley, with a gate gearbo, it was a pig to drive through Bromley in the rush hour. but on the open road it was lovely.
Have been driven (certainly not allowed to drive) in a 1939 MX Overdrive - incredibly lucky, incredible car and far beyond my bank balance (+/- £800k I think). The photo is from the net - not the one I experienced, just different colour. Incredible! :thumb: Dream is to have the Bentley Continental GT Convertible.... Probably couldn't afford to fill it up though!! :roll:
MX-Over.jpg
MX-Over.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 pm The 2 most interesting vehicles I have driven.
The fisrt was a 1931 Benlley, with a gate gearbo, it was a pig to drive through Bromley in the rush hour. but on the open road it was lovely.
The second was in the army in Germany, our regiment had a 1934 scammell recovery truck, top speed 20 mph, it took 2 of us to turn the steering wheel on tight corners, I only drove once, got out off driving it again.
The worst I have owned was an old Ford popular, the windowscreen wipers were pneumatic, therefore every time you drove up a hill they would slow down. I was stationed in Blandford, in the morning it was up a steep hill to get to the camp. The wipers used to stop, so to see where you were going you stuck your head out of the window. That happened to me twice, after the second time I got rid of it.
Reminds me of a similar type of incident - my fathers first car was a 1937 Morris 10 and had the same pneumatic wipers and also pneumatic indicators that would pop out from the left or right side of the car - only sometimes they would get stuck and dad would shout out “give the inside of the car a good thump” to help push it out.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I never bought new cars I go to the local auction have a look around, chat to the auctioneer who I knew. The best buy I ever made was a Hillman avenger, it cost me £125 back in the eighties, had it 7 months it passed brke down on the m25 about a year later, the AA took it home and I flogged to the scrap dealer for £35 With the mot £110 for 18 mionths driving.
The other one that sticks in my mid, I bout a volvo 240 for £200 insured it for £800 drove of my drive the next morning my view was obstucted by a van, I pulled slowly out and this idoit was speeding and s wrote it off. Clamed off his insrance and they paid me £600 not bad nice profit in 24 hours..
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.