Another Accessibility Rant

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Another Accessibility Rant

Post by Big Boy »

I took somebody in a wheelchair to the Tessebahn this morning. No problem I think - plenty of Disabled Parking. It wasn't until I reached the 5th floor of the shiny new Tessebahn Car Park that I found a Disabled space not occupied by motorcycles :cuss: .

Then parking was a problem. Because I need to drop my tailgate to remove the wheelchair, I had to drive in forwards, which I personally find much more difficult. Anyway, parked up, and wheelchair ready to roll. The route into the Tessebahn was trouble free, with ramps all the way until the entrance. At the entrance there is a step and a sort of sleeping policeman in quick succession to manoeuvre. Either obstacle individually wouldn't have been a problem, but one immediately after the other was a significant challenge for an inexperienced wheelchair novice like me. However, I got through. If the passenger had been alone, access would not be possible.

In the corridor, there were strategically placed chairs, which I had no option but to knock out of the way. They may prevent people escaping a temperature check, but in the event of a fire could be a challenge.

Getting into the air conditioned office was a major challenge. The door was on powerful springs and opened inwards (obviously to keep warm air out. However, trying to open and pass through the door with a wheelchair was not possible without scratching the door. Inside the office, the gangway was wheelchair width meaning the person already being served had to move to let us through. The wheelchair at the counter completely blocked the gangway.

Basically, a HUGE FAIL for Hua Hin Tessebahn.
:rant:
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Another Accessibility Rant

Post by handdrummer »

Welcome to the 19th. century and remember, never steal a loaf of bread.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Another Accessibility Rant

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I took somebody in a wheelchair to the Tessebahn this morning. No problem I think - plenty of Disabled Parking. It wasn't until I reached the 5th floor of the shiny new Tessebahn Car Park that I found a Disabled space not occupied by motorcycles :cuss: .

Then parking was a problem. Because I need to drop my tailgate to remove the wheelchair, I had to drive in forwards, which I personally find much more difficult. Anyway, parked up, and wheelchair ready to roll. The route into the Tessebahn was trouble free, with ramps all the way until the entrance. At the entrance there is a step and a sort of sleeping policeman in quick succession to manoeuvre. Either obstacle individually wouldn't have been a problem, but one immediately after the other was a significant challenge for an inexperienced wheelchair novice like me. However, I got through. If the passenger had been alone, access would not be possible.

In the corridor, there were strategically placed chairs, which I had no option but to knock out of the way. They may prevent people escaping a temperature check, but in the event of a fire could be a challenge.

Getting into the air conditioned office was a major challenge. The door was on powerful springs and opened inwards (obviously to keep warm air out. However, trying to open and pass through the door with a wheelchair was not possible without scratching the door. Inside the office, the gangway was wheelchair width meaning the person already being served had to move to let us through. The wheelchair at the counter completely blocked the gangway.

Good post. Disgraceful again

I hope you cut and pasted the appropriate sections of that post into a letter to the owners or operators of said car park and requested an on site meeting.

My point being that if you don't that nothing will ever happen, for sure.

I guarantee this would not happen in Japan

As for the motorbikes in the Disabled spots I'd have just kicked them over!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk