Thai Chana app

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Thai Chana app

Post by Big Boy »

Having experienced this first hand briefly today, I think this deserves a thread of its own. It is a Thai application being managed at the coal face by untrained Thais - what a recipe for disaster.
chana.jpg
chana.jpg (122.67 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
Mrs BB needed to visit her bank in Market Village this morning, so off we go. Before we left, I ensured we both had a QR Code Reader downloaded to our phones.

We parked in the car park, 3rd floor. Entrances to the mall were still restricted, but looked the same. Mrs BB tried to get past the guard, but he stopped her saying she had to scan the QR Code. I was prepared, and scanned the code before her - up comes a screen written in Thai. Mrs BB is scared of technology, so I had no option but to go home, or let a complete stranger hold my phone and tap away on my screen (who knows what disease might have been left?).

Mrs BB scanned, but got the message 'No Internet' - the guard told her to pass through anyway. Meanwhile, whilst dealing with us old codgers, about 12 people must have passed through behind us without scanning. I saw no proformas that could have been completed.

We were only going to the bank, but many shops had their own codes and the same routine had to be repeated everywhere.

On the way out, it says 'Scan Out' - I scanned but received another pile of Thai garbage, at which point I walked out. Mrs BB did not even try to use the App.

So, I used Thai Chana after phoning a friend, but haven't a clue what happened, and certainly didn't receive any advice regarding the concentration of people in the mall.
  • The system was being operated by morons, who had obviously not been trained in how it worked. Certainly they could not offer help to a non-Thai speaker.
  • Having to hand my phone to a 3rd party who could have been riddled with umpteen diseases was absolutely outrageous - I'm not sure how many social distancing rules that broke.
  • Yes I was just as much of a moron, but my excuse is the system was not in English.
  • The need for wi-fi was a shocker as well.
I can see this application falling into disrepute very quickly, with Thais walking straight past while the untrained staff are dealing with old codgers.

That was my very brief experience. Has anybody really used it in anger yet?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Re: Thai Chana app

Post by buksida »

I would have just said 'mai mee torasup' and filled a bunch of bullshit on any forms they handed over.

Far less stressful and they can't track you!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Chana

Post by caller »

Copied from longer post on Covid Hua Hin precautions:

Had to have the QR code thingy for Bluport yesterday, but that didn't work, so had to hand record my name, passport number, phone and time of entry. Something went down, but little to do with me.

Just to add, I did think the guys knew what they were doing with the code, but mine just kept coming up with an error message. Didn't notice the QR code in use anywhere else once in the store and at the ground floor car park entrances, one was for entry only and one was for exit only. When I left I wasn't required to do anything.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So Bluport is as bad then i.e. "I did think the guys knew what they were doing with the code"
I would have just said 'mai mee torasup' and filled a bunch of bullshit on any forms they handed over.
I guess if just one shop, not too bad, but if you want to browse several shops..............................

Whatever the guy entered onto my phone, was very quick, and he didn't ask me anything, so I doubt they knew who I was.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 pm Whatever the guy entered onto my phone, was very quick, and he didn't ask me anything, so I doubt they knew who I was.
Depending on what permissions the app is allowed, it will have access to your location (GPS), your phone number (which was registered with your passport/ID card), and potentially any files stored on the device. This access will remain all the time the app is installed regardless of whether you are in a shopping mall or not.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There is no app installed as far as I could see. I think you connect with the app and tell it you're there, and that you've left again. This is Thailand - maybe you are crediting them with too much intelligence. It seems a very basic thing which IMHO will fall into total disrepute in days.

I've checked, and unless a piece of hidden malware was installed, there is no app on my phone. I'm sure Somchai the security guard is expert at nobbling people's phones, and planting hidden malware in 10 seconds flat. I actually think he did no more than hit the key, bottom right to get me out of it.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

It is possible that the system is totally benevolent I guess. I was under the impression that it was an app, since the flyer says 'Thai Chana Application'.

The AOT tracker was definitely an app that had to be installed.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm I would have just said 'mai mee torasup' and filled a bunch of bullshit on any forms they handed over.

Far less stressful and they can't track you!
Absolutely! I will go along with a temperature check and free hand cleaner, but they can go sing for the rest of it. :guns:

A small shopping Mall in Bangkok that I went to this morning has a restricted entry, with an open exit. Took my temperature and then asked me to stand in a "foot bath"! The thing was dry just some type of grill to stand on.
There was a girl standing there waving around a big card with a Q code on it. She called out to me but I just kept hobbling on!

The APP that they have set up in Australia just works on Bluetooth, and only then if you are within a regulated distance.
It just records your phone number for 2 weeks, and if anybody shows up positive within that time the authorities can call you. Too bloody simple for these experts that know everything.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they even cocked the bit about it being an app up :laugh: .

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... uestioned/

........Does Tracking App Work?

Sunday was the first day malls were allowed to reopen and the curfew pushed back from 10pm to 11pm. Visitors are required to register their information before they can enter shops and malls.

At shops, customers must line up and scan a QR code, then check in and provide their phone number. This process must be repeated for every shop they visit. They are also encouraged to register again on the way out.

Officials said the customers must give their information so that they can be traced in the event of an outbreak.

A total of 2,002,897 people reportedly registered with the app as of Monday.

But a CEO of Kapook news website said people can fill in bogus phone numbers without any consequences, raising concerns that the application will not work as intended.

Poramate Minsiri, who posted about *** his findings online, urged the government to rely on LINE or Facebook logins instead of asking for phone numbers."

*** https://www.facebook.com/kapook/posts/10158274119576678
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 pm So Bluport is as bad then i.e. "I did think the guys knew what they were doing with the code"
No BB, I really did believe they knew what they were doing.

As I have the Line app, that is what is used to point at the QR code, don't ask me why, and as I had to go to Bluport again today, to collect some stuff my other half had sent down to me, I had to go through the whole process again. As before the code doesn't work on my phone, no idea why, so as per yesterday, I filled in some gibberish on the sheet to be used as a replacement (which had loads of entries) and once in, that's it (so far), as I didn't see the code nonsense in use anywhere else.

But leaving was different from yesterday. At the exit they had boards with the code up and as before, it didn't work. But this time the guy who was working there spoke some English and he directed me to press here, press there on my phone and then I came to an area to add my phone number. I was so surprised by this that I actually entered my real number! I then pressed what I assumed was a 'submit' button and that was it - I was free to leave - lol!
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I don't have a smart phone and I just ignored all that BS and went in, bought what I needed and walked out of the store. The clerks don't care. It's probably different in Bangkok where they have watchers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:11 pm
Big Boy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 pm So Bluport is as bad then i.e. "I did think the guys knew what they were doing with the code"
No BB, I really did believe they knew what they were doing.

As I have the Line app, that is what is used to point at the QR code, don't ask me why, and as I had to go to Bluport again today, to collect some stuff my other half had sent down to me, I had to go through the whole process again. As before the code doesn't work on my phone, no idea why, so as per yesterday, I filled in some gibberish on the sheet to be used as a replacement (which had loads of entries) and once in, that's it (so far), as I didn't see the code nonsense in use anywhere else.

But leaving was different from yesterday. At the exit they had boards with the code up and as before, it didn't work. But this time the guy who was working there spoke some English and he directed me to press here, press there on my phone and then I came to an area to add my phone number. I was so surprised by this that I actually entered my real number! I then pressed what I assumed was a 'submit' button and that was it - I was free to leave - lol!
Be honest, the system is crap. It is so tail wagging the dog. If I had designed or passed stuff like that for the MOD, I'd have been out on my ear, queuing at the dole office. Even if the guys knew what they were doing, it just takes one (knowingly or unknowingly) infected person to enter behind the old codger brigade as I witnessed today, and the whole thing is FCUK'd. Why did they let handdrummer in (nothing personal against handdrummer)? How many others were 'with their wives? I'm meant to get valuable feedback on how many people are inside, not how many wives are inside who might have a husband tagging along. What about kids?

Labour intensive, untrained (or can't be bothered) staff - a recipe for failure. I analysed/tested IT systems half of my working life, and this one stinks.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

We went to Big C today and they were using the QR code. I used my phone and my wife didn't bother. Any QR capable scanning app on the phone will do as it just directs to a web site. The web page asks for your phone number and you just tap for going in and then going out when leaving. I didn't actually notice if the number of customers inside was displayed or not. The QR code is specific to the place your entering / leaving, so it's simply an entry/exit to/from a place by a given phone number. Very simple.

If you don't have 3g/4g/5g it's a paper transaction.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Please don't get me wrong, the intentions are very good. For something this important, if it isn't 100%, it is useless.

People are dodging the code. In my instance, I could not read Thai. My wife did not have internet. The enforcer, enforced Jack Shit.
handrummer was with his wife, so didn't bother. hhinner's wife didn't bother. The whole thing is a joke.

With minimal effort, we have found too many loops to make this very important piece of technology worthless/

Points 51; Position 21