Mustard

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Re: Mustard

Post by Phyton »

HHTel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm Many supermarket 'own label' products are actually made by brand names. I'm sure a search will discover who makes the supermarket's mustard.
Sure, the supermarket do not produce these products. But i like the taste of my preferrred product. And this is sometimes not easy to get, the manufacturer may have a different recipe for the supermarket brand.

My wife and me do a lot of "blind testing". When you try something, and you don´t know brand/name and price....sometimes it is a real surprise what choose for the better taste for us.
Greets,
Phyton
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Reminds me of all the 'Brand X' adverts in years gone by.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Giving this thread a nudge.

I was in Nanny's this morning and happened to see Duerr's English mustard on the shelf. Tastes better than Coleman's IMO.

They also stock Duerr's Manchester marmalade which really now replaces my old favourite La Vieja Fabrica Seville Orange which Tesco Lotus seem to have foregone these days.
Attachments
5000214013563.jpg
5000214013563.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 942 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:24 pm Giving this thread a nudge.

I was in Nanny's this morning and happened to see Duerr's English mustard on the shelf. Tastes better than Coleman's IMO.

They also stock Duerr's Manchester marmalade which really now replaces my old favourite La Vieja Fabrica Seville Orange which Tesco Lotus seem to have foregone these days.
Prices?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

The Marmalade is 99baht, the price sticker on the mustard has fallen off so can't tell you other than it wasn't expensive. Prices on Laz range from 75 to 99 baht so there's your marker. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:54 pm The Marmalade is 99baht, the price sticker on the mustard has fallen off so can't tell you other than it wasn't expensive. Prices on Laz range from 75 to 99 baht so there's your marker. :cheers:
:cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Tinned English mustard powder - searching...

Post by 404cameljockey »

not colmans mustard.jpeg
not colmans mustard.jpeg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 784 times

I love all mustards but need Colman's English Mustard with some foods (a hot pasty in the hand and a pint is a good example). Shopee offer the pictured, which I might even get desperate enough to try!

Has anyone seen tins of powdered Colman's in shops in Hua Hin? I don't even see it on Lazada or Shopee. I prefer to mix it myself for a real kick, and a jar anyway has lost its magic by the time I've used half of it.

For info, Masterfoods Hot English mustard is pretty good premade if you can't find Colman's in a jar, might even be a bit hotter and the taste is good. I've seen Masterfoods in shops in Hua Hin before.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Tinned English mustard powder - searching...

Post by Nereus »

https://shop.villamarket.com/product/7559

If you open the search window with mustard there is a whole list on a drop down menu.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:59 pm https://shop.villamarket.com/product/7559

If you open the search window with mustard there is a whole list on a drop down menu.
Brilliant, thank you! I never think to search VM, Lotus, etc. online. You've saved me some petrol. :thumb:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote:
not colmans mustard.jpeg

I love all mustards but need Colman's English Mustard with some foods (a hot pasty in the hand and a pint is a good example). Shopee offer the pictured, which I might even get desperate enough to try!

Has anyone seen tins of powdered Colman's in shops in Hua Hin? I don't even see it on Lazada or Shopee. I prefer to mix it myself for a real kick, and a jar anyway has lost its magic by the time I've used half of it.

For info, Masterfoods Hot English mustard is pretty good premade if you can't find Colman's in a jar, might even be a bit hotter and the taste is good. I've seen Masterfoods in shops in Hua Hin before.
I looked on Lazada and found it amongst a range of mustards.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.my6Il

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:08 pm
I looked on Lazada and found it amongst a range of mustards.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.my6Il

I do too today. WTF...

I only Googled it before, and Lazada wasn't in the results other than for in a jar. I guess I'm learning that my shopping skills aren't a patch on those of my late wife, or other HHF members. In future I'll search directly on shops' own websites before bothering you guys....

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Australias Masterfoods Hot English mustard is now my go to choice. We had this conversation before, but Colmans from a jar here, just doesn't seem as hot as I remember it from the UK. Maybe because I eat so much hot, spicy food here, that it's taste is diminished.

But when a kid, mustards in a jar didn't exist, there was only the powdered version, which you could make as hot as you wanted. It would be good to get some feedback to learn if it travels well.

phpvcktmVPM.jpg
phpvcktmVPM.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

One thing I've noticed with British mustard is that it has a taste (and heat) of horseradish. They must put it in so the heat you are getting is not just from mustard seed.....IMO.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:One thing I've noticed with British mustard is that it has a taste (and heat) of horseradish. They must put it in so the heat you are getting is not just from mustard seed.....IMO.
Everything (well almost) you need to know about mustard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_(condiment)

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, another link says that Coleman's has no horseradish in it. The heat is all from mustard seeds. :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source