Ketchup & Chili Sauce

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Ketchup & Chili Sauce

Post by PeteC »

Mustard is far ahead of Mayonnaise in forum reader interest, and now time to talk about Ketchup & Chili Sauce.

Ketchup is ketchup and I don't think there is much to say about it. Heinz brand has been the leader for a century or so I believe and that is what most people use. However, there is a good Thai brand if you get a chance to try it named Roza. To me it tastes richer with tomato flavour. If by chance you ever order take out from Pizza Company, Roza ketchup packets are usually included. A good way to try a little before buying any.

ff0af1ff0c9a352adf30945d549c6c79554d4aca-large.jpg
ff0af1ff0c9a352adf30945d549c6c79554d4aca-large.jpg (71.75 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Chili Sauce

There is a huge selection out there and I'll just touch on a few.

The world leader no doubt that you see on tables worldwide is Tabasco, the most famous being McIlhenny Company of Avery Island, Louisiana. People put it in and on everything from Bloody Marys to scrambled eggs, to ice cream. There are many flavours and intensities of Tabasco now.

155OKHDv_400x400.jpg
155OKHDv_400x400.jpg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 864 times

The Thai favourite is Sriracha Sauce, named after and made in what was once a very small town located between Chonburi City and Pattaya. The small town is now a small city. The name "Sriracha Sauce" has now been copied by many companies but there is only one original, Sriracha Panich. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 864 times

There are dozens of other Asian chili sauces, some of which are:

1. Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Sauce
2. Huy Fong Fresh Chili Garlic Sauce
3. Bushwick Kitchen Weak Knees Gochujang Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce
4. Kumana Avocado Sauce
5. Lee Kum Kee Chiu Chow Chili Oil
6. Kikkoman Hon Tsuyu Soup Base Koidashi
7. Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
8. Mina Harissa Spicy Traditional Moroccan Red Pepper Sauce
9. Lee Kum Kee LKK Chili Bean Sauce
10. Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Sauce
11. Chile Crunch
12. Frank’s RedHot Sweet Chili Sauce
13. Chi Chi Pepper
14. Sriraja Panich Sriraja Chili Sauce
15. Ole Mission Guajillo Chile Powder
16. Gramas Sweet Chili Sauce
17. Gochujang Korean Chili Sauce
18. Lee Kum Kee Lkk Chili Oil
19. S&B La-Yu Chili Oil With Chili Pepper
20. Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Chili Sauce
21. Mad Dog 357 Reaper Sriracha Sauce
22. Chili Beak – Artisanal Spicy Roasted Siomai Chili Oil Sauce

You can click on each one of the above for the story at: https://www.mychineserecipes.com/top-be ... e-reviews/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Ketchup & Chili Sauce

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:08 am However, there is a good Thai brand if you get a chance to try it named Roza. To me it tastes richer with tomato flavour.
It's Roza for Baan Big Boy every time. Definitely prefer it to the Heinz.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Ketchup....I never used, that's for Yanks. Ketchup, Mayo or Mustard: NEVER HEINZ that's the worst.
Spicy sauces, home made, for ready chili sauce Roza is OK.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I find nearly all the Thai chili sauces far too sweet. The selection overseas is way better, but of course you'll pay a premium for them here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Pizza Company sells US style pizzas and ketchup belongs to that kind of junk food. Nothing to do with a real Italian Pizza eaten without ketchup.
About Heinz, belongs to John Kerry family, a politician.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

europtimiste wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:41 am Pizza Company sells US style pizzas and ketchup belongs to that kind of junk food. Nothing to do with a real Italian Pizza eaten without ketchup.
Absolutely no one in the US eats pizza with ketchup. I don’t know why Pizza Company gives out those packets. It must be a Thai thing.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

As for Tabasco, if I have to, it’s the garlic version. Very nice. My preference, however, is Crystal hot sauce. Tastes like a more subdued version of Tabasco. I see that it is available at the Bluport market and I will buy a bottle as soon as I get through these two small bottles of Tabasco. As for Sriracha sauce, I do prefer the one put out by Huy Fong. I would have to say that it has taken over the #1 condiment spot in the US. It is absolutely everywhere. I spring for it at Tops, but I have also developed a taste for the Panich. Just finished a small bottle of it five minutes ago, in fact.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:15 am
PeteC wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:08 am However, there is a good Thai brand if you get a chance to try it named Roza. To me it tastes richer with tomato flavour.
It's Roza for Baan Big Boy every time. Definitely prefer it to the Heinz.
And one of the cheapest brands. And very much cheaper than Heinz (around a third of the price I believe)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This forum is getting like an issue of Which Magazine!!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I enjoy ketchup with certain things, mainly burgers and hot dogs, never with pizza. I'm more fussy about chilli sauce, this is my favourite, Lingham's, which originates from Malaysia and in the UK was sold by Sainsburys. I love the 'old' English on the label. I wish I could find it here.

Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:06 pm
europtimiste wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:41 am Pizza Company sells US style pizzas and ketchup belongs to that kind of junk food. Nothing to do with a real Italian Pizza eaten without ketchup.
Absolutely no one in the US eats pizza with ketchup. I don’t know why Pizza Company gives out those packets. It must be a Thai thing.
That’s to dip your chips in :duck:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nobody in my family uses ketchup with pizza. Consequently we have a drawer full of sachets of ketchup and chilli sauce.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:06 pm
That’s to dip your chips in :duck:
I’m a Seattle boy through and through, so you will most likely find me looking for some tartar sauce for my fries. The ONLY time I can think of using ketchup might be for mixing with mayo to make a sauce similar to Big Mac sauce. That is also called Fry Sauce in certain parts of the US. I think New Mexico or somewhere down there claims to have invented it or something. I have to say, it is pretty damn good with crinkle-cut fries.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:29 pm This forum is getting like an issue of Which Magazine!!!
It's a diversion, any kind of diversion is good to get away from talking about the fcuking virus. I may post about canned fish next?! :idea:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

PeteC wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:41 pm
HHTel wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:29 pm This forum is getting like an issue of Which Magazine!!!
It's a diversion, any kind of diversion is good to get away from talking about the fcuking virus. I may post about canned fish next?! :idea:
Or maybe the great "Henderson's Relish Is Way Better Than Worcester Sauce" debate lol