Ketchup & Chili Sauce

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Ketchup & Chili Sauce

Post by STEVE G »

For anyone who has ever lived in industrial areas of Germany, or served there with the armed forces, there is Currywust sauce, a mix of tomato ketchup and curry powder. This is one of those ideas that is so bad, it actually works, particularly late at night after the consumption of lager.
It was apparently invented after the war when some British troops gave a tin of curry powder to a Berlin snack vendor.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

For me, the ketchup you get in Thailand is more like "orange sugar" and not anything like the real tomato ketchup you get in the States. Even the bottles labeled as Heinz are not at all like the Heinz in the US.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's because it's made differently in the US.
Heinz Ketchup Has Different Ingredients in the U.S. Than It Does in the U.K.
The Food Babe explains that in the US, ketchup is made with high fructose corn syrup, as well as GMOs and natural flavoring, which is a recipe for addiction. “Think of this next time you’re dipping your fries in and can’t stop,” she says.

The craziest thing about this, however, is that in the UK, Heinz ketchup doesn’t have any of these ingredients.

Made with just a few ingredients (all pronounceable)—tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, spices and herb extracts—ketchup is actually a relatively healthy product if you get it over there!

The US, however, contains tomato concentrate, distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, and natural flavoring.

But what gives? Why does the US get this more unhealthy version while the UK gets ketchup you don’t actually have to feel guilty about eating?
https://tiphero.com/heinz-ketchup-different-ingredients
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Americans have been fed this mess all their lives and are accustomed and addicted to it. Also, it's cheaper to make and doesn't depend on crop yields and their fluctuating prices. Fortunately, there are many other choices available. They cost more but not that much more and in the end, it's cheaper than being slowly poisoned.
Ms Tigger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ms Tigger »

Lea & Perrins used to do a "Breakfast Sauce" which went particularly well with bacon and eggs, you can get close to it by mixing ketchup and Worcester sauce together. I remember currywurst from my days in Germany also.
It's funny how the same brand of ketchup is so different depending on which country you're in, you would have thought it was a one size fits all, but evidently not!
It's all good :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Ms Tigger wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:41 pm ...you would have thought it was a one size fits all, but evidently not!
Tsk :tsk: there are at least 57 varieties...
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:lach: :lach: :lach:

Just add a couple of zeros because now there are over 5,700 products!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:56 pm
Ms Tigger wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:41 pm ...you would have thought it was a one size fits all, but evidently not!
Tsk :tsk: there are at least 57 varieties...
And to prove it.....
B794F428-C48C-4490-95D9-175DD8EDBC2D.jpeg
B794F428-C48C-4490-95D9-175DD8EDBC2D.jpeg (36.92 KiB) Viewed 515 times
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I had a dog called Heinz for that very reason.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Back in the day, I used to think that a 'Heinz Variety' was a genuine breed of dog........ then I grew up.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

STEVE G wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:08 pm For anyone who has ever lived in industrial areas of Germany, or served there with the armed forces, there is Currywust sauce, a mix of tomato ketchup and curry powder. This is one of those ideas that is so bad, it actually works, particularly late at night after the consumption of lager.
It was apparently invented after the war when some British troops gave a tin of curry powder to a Berlin snack vendor.
A homemade sauce for Currywurst is made from tomatoes, honey, vinegar, Tabasco, strained paprika powder, rose hot, curry, Worcester sauce. But no Ketchup.

If you use ketchup for it, you can't cook - or you have no time to cook, just for quick and dirty. :laugh:
Greets,
Phyton
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

This seems to sum up Currywurst..... And yes, there is Ketchup.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/best-germ ... urrywurst/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I knew nothing about this sauce so I looked it up to satisfy my curiosity. It seems it was originally made with ketchup by Herter Heuwer in 1949. Today you can find a 100 recipes for making it, some with ketchup and some without. It does sound tasty and I'm looking to give it a try. I may take one of the recipes and make my own.
Currywurst has been a German institution since its invention in Berlin in 1949 by Herta Heuwer. She lived in the British military sector of Berlin after World War II where some soldiers had given her some ketchup, curry powder and Worcestershire sauce that they brought with them from the UK. She went to work experimenting on a sauce that would provide much needed contrast to the limited post-war rations the people were accustomed to living on, a flavorful spicy sauce poured over Bratwursts hot off the grill that she would patent two years later.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

And the most Placese where you can get a good tasty Currywurst have a little secrets......to put in.
Most use canned tomatoes these are sweet by nature, and Ketchup is full with sugar, so i use Ketchup very rarely, for Sauce cocktail for example.

In the link from @pharvey you see different German Wurst. Be carefully with "Weisswurst".
We have white sausages this you can use for Currywurst or fried it, roast or barbeque etc. But the baverian Weisswurst is very different, this is basicly used for steamed, and eat with sweet mustard and Brezel.

And a baverian Weisswurst with Currysauce would not taste delicous (for me), but Brits eat Lamb with mintapricotsauce as well, so you can try it... :thumb:
:laugh:
Greets,
Phyton
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Phyton wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:41 pm
STEVE G wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:08 pm For anyone who has ever lived in industrial areas of Germany, or served there with the armed forces, there is Currywust sauce, a mix of tomato ketchup and curry powder. This is one of those ideas that is so bad, it actually works, particularly late at night after the consumption of lager.
A homemade sauce for Currywurst is made from tomatoes, honey, vinegar, Tabasco, strained paprika powder, rose hot, curry, Worcester sauce. But no Ketchup.

If you use ketchup for it, you can't cook - or you have no time to cook, just for quick and dirty. :laugh:
You're right, I can't cook! I've only ever eaten it from snack food stalls on the streets on the way home from the pub.