New passport - Thai driving license not expired

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

New passport - Thai driving license not expired

Post by Hahuahin »

Hi!

I thought I had updated everywhere I needed with my new passport but then I had forgot my driving license :oops:
Anyone been in similar situation? I don't want to drive around with a driving license which maybe or maybe not will be accepted in case of police check or worse an accident. Besides the Thai driving license comes in handy now and then as ID and also when visiting the in-laws upcountry and then occasionally rent car where bot license and passport have to be provided.
Anyone know how to proceed, do I need to take a new test and all what that include :?

In advance thanks for any input.
hahuahin
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: New passport - Thai driving license not expired

Post by Nereus »

Hahuahin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:53 pm Hi!

I thought I had updated everywhere I needed with my new passport but then I had forgot my driving license :oops:
Anyone been in similar situation? I don't want to drive around with a driving license which maybe or maybe not will be accepted in case of police check or worse an accident. Besides the Thai driving license comes in handy now and then as ID and also when visiting the in-laws upcountry and then occasionally rent car where bot license and passport have to be provided.
Anyone know how to proceed, do I need to take a new test and all what that include :?
In advance thanks for any input.
hahuahin
Its a bit confusing just what you are asking. If you mean that your drivers licence still has your old passport number on it, then just forget about it. :?

Firstly, if the police ask to see your drivers licence it is highly unlikely that they will also ask for your passport. If you do end up in a situation where both documents are looked at, then where you had your old details transferred to a new passport it will show the old passport number.

When you apply for a new drivers licence or renewal, your new passport number will be used.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Well I can understand its confusing. Btw, I see your points in your reply but for me it seems untidy/incorrectly to not have the new passport number on driving license so the plain question should maybe be like: Will the transport office issue me a new plastic card with new passport number but other data on the card as on the existing license included expire date without going through the renewal process?
hahuahin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hahuahin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:12 pm Well I can understand its confusing. Btw, I see your points in your reply but for me it seems untidy/incorrectly to not have the new passport number on driving license so the plain question should maybe be like: Will the transport office issue me a new plastic card with new passport number but other data on the card as on the existing license included expire date without going through the renewal process?
hahuahin
The answer is yes, there is a small fee (I can’t remember exactly but maybe 200 Baht) but no test to be retaken.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:32 am
Hahuahin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:12 pm Well I can understand its confusing. Btw, I see your points in your reply but for me it seems untidy/incorrectly to not have the new passport number on driving license so the plain question should maybe be like: Will the transport office issue me a new plastic card with new passport number but other data on the card as on the existing license included expire date without going through the renewal process?
hahuahin
The answer is yes, there is a small fee (I can’t remember exactly but maybe 200 Baht) but no test to be retaken.
Thanks that would be great and even if Nereus probably is right when say not bother I would be more comfortable with getting it correct. Is it the transport office in Pranburi which is best bet then and do you know if I need (new) another Certificate of Residence before heading there so I can confirm where I live?
hahuahin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Sorry I can’t remember for certain but don’t recollect anything being required other than your current driving license and obviously your new passport, probably a good idea to take your old one as well - I did my change at Cha Am but hopefully (not always the case) they are all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think people are over reacting. Nowhere on your licence does it say 'Passport Number'. It's just ID number and they currently use your passport number. You would still have your old passport which matches the 'ID number'. I don't see the problem.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:21 pm I think people are over reacting. Nowhere on your licence does it say 'Passport Number'. It's just ID number and they currently use your passport number. You would still have your old passport which matches the 'ID number'. I don't see the problem.
My "new type" licence has my passport number on it, plus another number in bigger letters. Or are you still hung over?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But does it say 'Passport Number' or just 'ID Number'? If ID number it would still match with your old passport.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:But does it say 'Passport Number' or just 'ID Number'? If ID number it would still match with your old passport.
Maybe it’s a new change - my driving license was issued in 2018 and shows ID followed by my passport number

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:08 pm But does it say 'Passport Number' or just 'ID Number'? If ID number it would still match with your old passport.
Go and have another G&T! Where it has my CURRENT passport number there is a couple of Thai words followed by ID: and my current passport number.

Near the top, in BIG numbers is: 6200****. Under which, written in ENGLISH: Issue date 23 November 2007 Expiry date
16 November 2025.

Like I posted, this is a "new type" licence issued last November. Now the 4 digits after 6200.... MAY be part of my original passport, but it is defiantly NOT my complete old passport number. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

I have the same issue, new passport old number on the license. It actually says 'ID no' though and not 'passport number' (even though it is my pp number displayed) so I'm not going to bother buggering about trying to get a new license just to update this, will do it when it expires. Though I do realize the OP's concerns considering how anal HH traffic police can be.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

My passport is due to expire in a few months and for sure my new one will have a different number. But if you look at the pages where all the old info was transferred (by immigration), into the new passport, it shows the old passport number. So the info is easily traceable.

But I stick by my original post that it is NOT required to have you current passport number on your current MDL. Since when have two different Thai government departments exchanged information?

The Land Transport Department issues a licence on the basis of what your ID number is when issued, not some unforeseeable date in the future. At least with my MDL the card number shown has NO relationship to my previous passport either!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nereus, I'm agreeing with you ffs. Even immigration (neighbour) says that there's no need to update your driving licence. The licence doesn't become invalid and even if the old pp number on your licence was used, there is a record at immigration showing the new one.
Of course the Transport Office will change it for you if you like. They get 200 baht for the effort, but it's not necessary.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 pm Sorry I can’t remember for certain but don’t recollect anything being required other than your current driving license and obviously your new passport, probably a good idea to take your old one as well - I did my change at Cha Am but hopefully (not always the case) they are all the same.

Okay thanks, will take a visit to Immigration anyway to get a residence certificate to make sure I not need to go twice to transport office.
hahuahin