Goats, sheep believed killed by tiger

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Goats, sheep believed killed by tiger

Post by PeteC »

We may have a History Channel Monsterquest episode devoted to this? :shock:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-by-tiger

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: About 20 sheep and goats have been mauled and killed by a large animal, possibly a tiger, at a forest resort in Wang Nam Khieo district.

The owner of the View@Wang Nam Khieo resort, who asked not be be named, filed a complaint with Wang Nam Khieo police on Tuesday morning.

Fourteen of the animals were bitten and killed in a pen, and others mauled. Six other dead animals were left in front of the pen. Most had deep bites in their necks, heads and bodies.

The tracks of a large animal were found in the area.

The resort owner believed the sheep and goats had been attacked by a large predator, probably a tiger.

The police took the carcasses away for examination to confirm what killed them.

They called Khao Yai National Park officials in to help with the investigation.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Goats, sheep believed killed by tiger

Post by HHTel »

It would be quite unusual. Tigers, like most predators kill for food. It's not normal for them to kill for no reason, i.e. 'a killing spree'.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 pm It would be quite unusual. Tigers, like most predators kill for food. It's not normal for them to kill for no reason, i.e. 'a killing spree'.
Yes, I agree. It sounds more like a pack of dogs to me. My understanding that roaming packs (or off leash animals) are a scourge in rural Scotland and England, especially during the lambing season. They do indeed kill domestic livestock for sport.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:45 pm
HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 pm It would be quite unusual. Tigers, like most predators kill for food. It's not normal for them to kill for no reason, i.e. 'a killing spree'.
Yes, I agree. It sounds more like a pack of dogs to me. My understanding that roaming packs (or off leash animals) are a scourge in rural Scotland and England, especially during the lambing season. They do indeed kill domestic livestock for sport.
Yes, those Scots and English simply don't love their sheep the way we Welsh do.. :wink: :D

In all seriousness there are problems in the UK, but not on that scale - we certainly don't have packs of wild dogs running around (as does Thailand). I'd agree though that it doesn't sound a "predator".....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:42 pm
PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:45 pm
Yes, those Scots and English simply don't love their sheep the way we Welsh do.. :wink: :D

In all seriousness there are problems in the UK, but not on that scale - we certainly don't have packs of wild dogs running around (as does Thailand). I'd agree though that it doesn't sound a "predator".....
Wild dogs are a MAJOR problem in parts of Australia. Wild dogs, not Dingo's. There are areas where farmers have had to completely destock because of losses. The mongrel things kill for "sport", many time maiming an animal without actually killing it.

That report indicated that they saw "tracks". If they cannot tell the difference between a dog track and a tiger, then maybe they deserve to lose their animals. Not sure how they will be able to tell what did it from examining the dead animals, but my money is on dogs being responsible.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 pm Wild dogs are a MAJOR problem in parts of Australia. Wild dogs, not Dingo's. There are areas where farmers have had to completely destock because of losses. The mongrel things kill for "sport", many time maiming an animal without actually killing it.
A bit surprised at that to be honest, although I guess for us "non-Australians", the Dingo is the "default" when talking "wild dogs"....
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 pm That report indicated that they saw "tracks". If they cannot tell the difference between a dog track and a tiger, then maybe they deserve to lose their animals. Not sure how they will be able to tell what did it from examining the dead animals, but my money is on dogs being responsible.
Certainly agree with the tracks - seriously, how big would a dog be to have a tiger sized track?