Thai fruit: serious effort, sublime reward

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Thai fruit: serious effort, sublime reward

Post by PeteC »

A rather long article with photos best viewed at link:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ime-reward

All across Bangkok, fruit juice is dripping off chins, dribbling down arms and splashing onto the city’s pavements.

This is peak fruit season, when the rising mercury concentrates the sugars in the tropical bounty that is native to Southeast Asia.

The region’s fruits are like no other. There is a fruit encased in prickly armour that smells of a deep, dank rot. There is a fruit that emits a sticky sap when peeled and another that stains fingernails mauve for those craving its succulent flesh.......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai fruit: serious effort, sublime reward

Post by STEVE G »

Definitely growing fruit in Thailand is easy, my Father was an avid gardener and I remember the effort he used to put into growing fruit, I have banana trees in Thailand and it's actually harder to stop them taking over your garden than it is to grow them!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was in a house a few years ago and it was a major project to get rid of banana trees. Two attempts using industrial diggers almost brought them under control. The roots tend to travel afar and lo and behold up shoots another banana tree. Once you have them, it's very difficult to get rid.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:57 am Definitely growing fruit in Thailand is easy, my Father was an avid gardener and I remember the effort he used to put into growing fruit, I have banana trees in Thailand and it's actually harder to stop them taking over your garden than it is to grow them!
I agree, we have banana trees all over the place. Also papayas, mangos, pomegranates, passion fruit, pomelos, limes and custard apples which all just seem to proliferate. We have so much fruit we can hardly give it away.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote:
STEVE G wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:57 am Definitely growing fruit in Thailand is easy, my Father was an avid gardener and I remember the effort he used to put into growing fruit, I have banana trees in Thailand and it's actually harder to stop them taking over your garden than it is to grow them!
I agree, we have banana trees all over the place. Also papayas, mangos, pomegranates, passion fruit, pomelos, limes and custard apples which all just seem to proliferate. We have so much fruit we can hardly give it away.
Where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 pm White do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hua Hin. Oh and I forgot, we also have a load of coconut trees. Those we don't have to give away, there's actually a guy who comes round and buys them from us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 pm Where do you live?
Hua Hin.
What Dannie Boy means is can you give us your address so we can come round and help ourselves? Just to save you the bother, you understand... :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:44 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 pm Where do you live?
Hua Hin.
What Dannie Boy means is can you give us your address so we can come round and help ourselves? Just to save you the bother, you understand... :laugh: :cheers:
Yes thanks DM that indeed is what I was suggesting :cheers:
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Well, when I say that we can hardly give it away, that's really just a turn of phrase. We actually have plenty of neighbours and relatives that we give it to. Sorry, guys.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:46 pm Well, when I say that we can hardly give it away, that's really just a turn of phrase. We actually have plenty of neighbours and relatives that we give it to. Sorry, guys.
It’s ok I was only joking - although I would never turn my nose up to some free fruit, giving any surplus to your neighbours is the right thing to do.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thai netizens angry over first New York Times article they’ve read in 10 years
Thai social media users took to multiple online platforms this week to express their displeasure over a New York Times article about fruit.

The article, written by New York Times Southeast Asia Bureau Chief Hannah Beech, detailed the arduous task of peeling and preparing indigenous fruits for consumption.

The article, titled “Eating Thai Fruit Demands Serious Effort but Delivers Sublime Reward,” promises substantial juicy rewards once the herculean tasks were completed.

Thai citizens however were angered over the orientalist nature of the article with some going so far as to call the article racist.

“I cannot believe that the great New York Times would be so crass about our culture,” said Somchai Namsakul.

When asked if he had read any other article in the Times recently about the region, Somchai shrugged and said he had run out of free articles.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/14979/the- ... -10-years/

I suppose Thais have the copyright on fruit now ... :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:02 pm I suppose Thais have the copyright on fruit now ... :roll:
She wrote an article yesterday about activists disappearing. Wonder if they'll like that?
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ I read that too. I suppose that the Thai twittersphere will have to be circumspect as providing a link would fall foul of certain sensitivities.