Traffic Police Policing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Traffic Police Policing

Post by Big Boy »

I drove along a stretch of Petchkasem road at about 9:30 this morning, and I saw something very unusual. There was a single police officer at several u-turns, and they were doing proper police work, and it wasn't to line their own pockets. They were stood there between the North and South carriageways picking up misdemeanors as they passed e,g. no helmets, driving on the wrong side of the road etc. They weren't stopping people, simply blowing whistles/making hand gestures. No collection of tea money. I even saw them re-direct a Grab delivery motorcycle driving in the wrong direction, which was like a breath of fresh air - Grab delivery drivers are exempt from the highway code.

It was like a breath of fresh air. I don't know if it was a one off, but great to see some proactive policing. Maybe I'll have to wait another 8 years before I see it again :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Police Policing

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I drove along a stretch of Petchkasem road at about 9:30 this morning, and I saw something very unusual. There was a single police officer at several u-turns, and they were doing proper police work, and it wasn't to line their own pockets. They were stood there between the North and South carriageways picking up misdemeanors as they passed e,g. no helmets, driving on the wrong side of the road etc. They weren't stopping people, simply blowing whistles/making hand gestures. No collection of tea money. I even saw them re-direct a Grab delivery motorcycle driving in the wrong direction, which was like a breath of fresh air - Grab delivery drivers are exempt from the highway code.

It was like a breath of fresh air. I don't know if it was a one off, but great to see some proactive policing. Maybe I'll have to wait another 8 years before I see it again Image
Yes, very good to hear

"Grab delivery drivers are exempt from the highway code"

Absolute freaking maniacs who are the single biggest danger on the roads.... JMO

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Maybe they were people dressed up as policemen, bored with lock down!!!

Just joking!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:48 pm
Big Boy wrote:I drove along a stretch of Petchkasem road at about 9:30 this morning, and I saw something very unusual. There was a single police officer at several u-turns, and they were doing proper police work, and it wasn't to line their own pockets. They were stood there between the North and South carriageways picking up misdemeanors as they passed e,g. no helmets, driving on the wrong side of the road etc. They weren't stopping people, simply blowing whistles/making hand gestures. No collection of tea money. I even saw them re-direct a Grab delivery motorcycle driving in the wrong direction, which was like a breath of fresh air - Grab delivery drivers are exempt from the highway code.

It was like a breath of fresh air. I don't know if it was a one off, but great to see some proactive policing. Maybe I'll have to wait another 8 years before I see it again Image
Yes, very good to hear

"Grab delivery drivers are exempt from the highway code"

Absolute freaking maniacs who are the single biggest danger on the roads.... JMO

They are probably paid pro delivery, so they have to deliver fast and back as fast as possible, I agree they are a danger.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

By coincidence, a couple of days ago I spotted a Police pickup just up the road from our house. It had a Honda Wave (or similar) tied up in the back.

I found out today that the bike had been removed because it was too noisy!

Perhaps the K/stone Kops have turned over a new leaf - nah!
Last edited by Chazz14 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Chazz14 wrote:By coincidence, a couple of days ago I spoted a Police pickup just up the road from our house. It had a Honda Wave (or similar) tied up in the back.

I found out today that the bike had been removed because it was too noisy!

Perhaps the K/stone Kops have turned over a new leaf - nah!
Oh wow...
now this is music to my(aggravated) ears!

Really does my head in that we live in this so called 'green' anti pollution world and yet noise pollution is totally overlooked!

Non more so than in the land of dodgy exhaust pipes!

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Some years ago there was a crackdown on 'altered' m/bike exhausts. The bikes were confiscated and the exhausts removed. Photos in the press of dozens of illegal exhausts at HH Police Station. For the owners to reclaim their bikes, they had to buy and have fitted a legal exhaust. Pay the fine then they could retrieve their bikes.
They've always had sporadic 'crackdowns'. i.e. Underage riders, no more than two on a bike, both riders to have helmets, valid driving licences etc. I remember police cars driving around HH reminding everyone by loudspeaker of the m/bike rules. It lasted just 2 or 3 days then forgotten.
There is never any ongoing enforcement.
buksida

Post by buksida »

These sort of sporadic crackdowns or 'extra policing' seem to happen more in Hua Hin than elsewhere, and usually towards the end of the month when the tea fund is running dry. They have very little to do with noise reduction or improving road safety sadly.

If they really gave a hoot about road safety they would patrol the highways instead of just ignoring the carnage there.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Traffic Police Policing

Post by Big Boy »

That is the point - they were doing their job, no more, no less. I've lived here over 8 years, and the first time I've seen anything like this. No hint of revenue collection. It was so unusual, I had to say something.

I'd love to think it will continue. A great way to improve road safety. Everybody I saw given the distance bollocking, responded well, and immediately corrected their misdemeanor (all motorcycles).

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If only they’d do the same with the car weavers - outside lane, middle lane, near side lane and back out to the outside lane all within a few hundred metres, just to gain a few seconds and don’t worry about putting any lives at risk. Take away their license for a month!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

buksida wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 am These sort of sporadic crackdowns or 'extra policing' seem to happen more in Hua Hin than elsewhere, and usually towards the end of the month when the tea fund is running dry. They have very little to do with noise reduction or improving road safety sadly.

If they really have a hoot about road safety they would patrol the highways instead of just ignoring the carnage there.
I think the residents of Khon Kaen, Udon Thani and Korat to name a few would disagree.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am I think the residents of Khon Kaen, Udon Thani and Korat to name a few would disagree.
This is a Hua Hin forum so what happens in Issan is irrelevant, why argue for argument's sake? :roll: :banghead:

It is a fact that there are way more traffic police in Hua Hin than in Pranburi, Petchaburi, Prachuap, Bangsaphan, or even Chumphon, and as a result, there are way more roadblocks.

I think them actually doing their jobs for once was a one-off, but it would still be good to see them patrolling highways and pulling over the speed freaks rather than picking on the easy targets with scooters.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am If only they’d do the same with the car weavers - outside lane, middle lane, near side lane and back out to the outside lane all within a few hundred metres, just to gain a few seconds and don’t worry about putting any lives at risk. Take away their license for a month!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taking away their licence, IF they have one, will not achieve anything. Take away their vehicle for 28 days MAY get their attention. Then charge them storage fees before getting it back. :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 am I think them actually doing their jobs for once was a one-off,
Unfortunately, I have to agree, but it would be good if we were wrong.

In my sick mind, I was thinking some sort of punishment or initiation ceremony.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In the past, when I've seen a single police officer on junctions of Petchakasem Road, it's because they're waiting to block off the junctions to allow a convoy of visitors to the Royal Palace through.