The Greatest Sportsmen & Sportswomen

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Re: The Greatest Sportsmen & Sportswomen

Post by HarryVardon »

I agree there is a little nostalgia but the top players of the past would still have been better than the current top players given the equipment changes and changes to diet and fitness.In the seventies Jack Nicklaus was playing at the Open at St. Andrews and needed a birdie on the last hole to win. He had a wooden driver and a ball far worse than players use today. He took his jumper off to give him more freedom and hit his drive over the green and into the rough a yard from the clubhouse. I have never seen any modern player hit a ball so far even with their supersonic equipment and supersonic fitness. If Nicklaus was 25 now he would be untouchable as a player. I once finished up in a bunker at Royal Lythan. Near my ball was a plaque saying that Bobby Jones had hit a shot from that bunker onto the green and thus won the British Open. The bunker was more than 200 yards from the green and Bobby Jones was using a wooden shaft club and a ball not much better than a feathery. Don't tell me these players weren't as good as Tiger Woods or any other of the modern generation.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

One person today deserves a mention, 600 test wickets, the only other bowlers that have achieved this are spin bowlers.
Jimmy Anderson is a seam bowler, a remarkable feat.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, one I watched today...

Simply don't know whether to laugh or cry these days...

Make your mind up...... :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It brought a smile to my face!!