Fiber internet with 3BB Hua Hin

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Fiber internet with 3bb Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

My CAT6 cable finally arrived (over a week later than ordered from Lazyda).

The network adapter has now automatically detected a 1Gbps connection (it was set on 100Mbps with the CAT5) and I'm now getting speeds over 800 internally and 120 to the U.S. via the VPN which is usually set to Singapore though Hong Kong seems a bit faster.

Bye-bye TOT.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Where do you use the CAT6 cable? Between router and PC?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, a hardwired connection is usually faster and more stable than wifi and most desktop mainboards don't have wifi adapters built-in.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:10 pm Yes, a hardwired connection is usually faster and more stable than wifi and most desktop mainboards don't have wifi adapters built-in.
Echoes the advice I was given by the engineer who set up my internet connection when I moved in here (in the UK). I was using a laptop at the time, but he advised me to use a cable connection, particularly as my router was on the far side of the room.
This is the way
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Anyone else with 3bb connection problems lately

Post by Hahuahin »

Anyone else with 3bb connection problems lately? I have had it "cut off" 5 times last 4 weeks lasting 1 -3 hours and once all day. Never experienced similar! This is in soi 112.
Have asked 3bb why but get only a vague answer about issues in the area :?
hauahin
buksida

Re: Anyone else with 3bb connection problems lately

Post by buksida »

Nope - working like a charm, must be local.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Same here. They're usually pretty good at sorting out problems. Depends on the problem of course. One time a box had been struck by lightning and on another occasion, a snake had got into the works and caused some damage. Even so, 3BB can usually have it sorted within a day (and often within the hour) depending upon the situation.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Anyone else with 3bb connection problems lately

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Hahuahin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:06 am Anyone else with 3bb connection problems lately? I have had it "cut off" 5 times last 4 weeks lasting 1 -3 hours and once all day. Never experienced similar! This is in soi 112.
Have asked 3bb why but get only a vague answer about issues in the area :?
hauahin
I had an almost identical problem but with True, not 3BB. I'm in Soi 106 and True said it was a problem with internet cabling affecting the entire area. Maybe it was a common problem affecting different service providers?
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

buksida wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:27 am My CAT6 cable finally arrived (over a week later than ordered from Lazyda).

The network adapter has now automatically detected a 1Gbps connection (it was set on 100Mbps with the CAT5) and I'm now getting speeds over 800 internally and 120 to the U.S. via the VPN which is usually set to Singapore though Hong Kong seems a bit faster.

Bye-bye TOT.
Because of this I also ordered a CAT6 cable. With the old cable I had 95/90 for Thai servers and 30/5 for european servers. Now it is 500/240 for Thai servers, but no change, as expected, for european servers. 120/260 for Hong Kong servers. I have a fiber connection from TOT.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Finally got an explanation of the Internet problems in recent weeks from 3bb yesterday. Like most people observed we had some real thunderstorms and lightning strikes in various places in Hua Hin a few weeks ago where a number of electronic installations in several areas were destroyed. 3bb said yesterday that their "box" in the street by the apartment building was hit by the mentioned lightning but the Internet had still worked partly for several subscriptions of 3bb but that it was only after several users in recent weeks complained that this box was examined. The reason for this was that the apartment management had not informed 3bb about lightning strikes at the building, even though other installations were also destroyed in the same accident, including the electronic gate.
hahuahin
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Sounds like not direct lightning strikes but emp events caused by nearby lightning, and affecting some electronics more than others. Direct strikes would likely destroy whole comms cabinets.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Starting to experience the first slowdowns and hiccups with 3BB. Over the past month or so, the speed and latency have been nowhere near what it was in the beginning when we had it installed (its still streets ahead of TOT though).

Speed testing locally is still relatively fast, but from 3BB Bangkok to L.A. was just 10Mbps this morning. Luckily, turning the VPN on ramps the speed up to 300Mbps to the West Coast via Singapore so all is still good.

Maybe all this wind has been playing havoc with their cabling ... or maybe the junta is adding more bricks to the Great Firewall of Thailand. :idea: