The 10 Largest Dog Breeds

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

https://ilovedogscute.com/dog-breeds/th ... dog-breeds

For the dog lovers out there..... and in line with the thread title, unfortunately the larger the dog, the shorter his life. :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: A dog's life: Scientists find new formula for canine age

Post by HHTel »

Top 10 dog breeds with the shortest lifespan
Mastiff: 8 years.
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog: 8 years. ...
Great Dane: 8.5 years. ...
Bullmastiff: 9 years. ...
Newfoundland: 9 years. ...
Saint Bernard: 9.5 years. ...
Rottweiler: 9.5 years. ...
Scottish Deerhound: 9.5 years. ...
All big dogs.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That may be the ideal. I've known a lot of Great Dane and St Bernard owners who too k great care (Diet, Exercise & Medical) and most went around 7 years.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....^ But breeding has a lot to do with it too. You really need to know the breeder and ancestry.

The longest lived dogs are your good ol' mutt soi dogs! :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The longest lived dogs are your good ol' mutt soi dogs
Unfortunately!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:28 pm
The longest lived dogs are your good ol' mutt soi dogs
Unfortunately!
The homeless of the dog world. Have mercy. :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And the 'farangs' provide the 'food banks' but never in their own area!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We have a Rottweiler. Fantastic dog, and many Thais are terrified of her. We inherited her when we moved here, and were told she was about 8 years old - we were the 3rd owner. We've lived here over 8 years now, so she is knocking on for 17. Definitely in her twilight years, but still nasty/grumpy with strangers.

Expecting the inevitable to be just around the corner, I started looking up Rottweiler facts, and I must say, they have put me off replacing here with another Rottweiler. They normally only live 8 to 10 years, and exceptionally 12 years. OK, ours has reached an exceptional age, and incurred some exceptional vet bills along the way, but she's still with us.

Not wanting more heartache after 8 years, I've decided upon a BIG rescue Soi pup next. It's unlikely it'll be as big as our Rottweiler, and Thais won't fear it quite as much, but why pay all of that money for a short lifed animal. Whatever we choose, it will love us as much.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm still off dogs after the passing of our two Golden retrievers. They both went early at around 8, and it was simply down to bad breeding.

This one really shook me up as I had become more attached to them than I thought. They were about the 15-16th dog I've had in my life and I've never been so distraught with any others.

So, for the duration, or at least for now, I don't want to go through those emotions again. I guess I need to find a dog(s) that will outlive me! :idea: ...and soon that won't be that hard to accomplish. :laugh:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My sister is on her 3rd pedigree poodle. The first two both lived for 20 years. This new one is still a puppy and my sister is now 70, and like you, Pete, she expects the dog 'Chocolate Drop ---- what!!' to outlive her. So now she worries about who will look after her dog when she's gone.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:01 pm unfortunately the larger the dog, the shorter his life. :(
Pretty much the same with humans IMHO.....
PeteC wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:59 pm I'm still off dogs after the passing of our two Golden retrievers. They both went early at around 8, and it was simply down to bad breeding.

This one really shook me up as I had become more attached to them than I thought. They were about the 15-16th dog I've had in my life and I've never been so distraught with any others.

So, for the duration, or at least for now, I don't want to go through those emotions again. I guess I need to find a dog(s) that will outlive me! :idea: ...and soon that won't be that hard to accomplish. :laugh:
Due to my work commitments/travel, our current "mutt" "Bob the Dog" (Robert in posh company) is the first dog I've personally had - the LHG being there to take care of him in my absence and visa-versa. I know we'll be devastated when he leaves us. He's in his late teens now, but still has his "pup moments" - although eating, sleeping and f@rting seem to be his favourite habits! :D

He's a mixed breed and I'm convinced this makes a stronger dog than the "Pure Breeds"/"Designer Breeds" very popular here in the UK (both with families & "Dog Nappers" alike :cuss: :banghead: ).

That said, the "non-dog food/tinned food diet" he's been fed seems to have served him well.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Re: The 10 Largest Dog Breeds

Post by PeteC »

What, tinned diet food for people? Weight Watchers? :D
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:47 pm What, tinned diet food for people? Weight Watchers? :D
Well, could be an idea...... albeit not one for me!! :wink: :D

But actually meant his diet has been cooked meat with veg and rice - he won't touch tinned dog food etc. The bugger even enjoys cooked fish :shock:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

We had a golden retriever lived till he was 11, passed away 2 years ago Still miss him every day. Will never get another dog to much pain when they go
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

" Dogs live just long enough to break your heart "