Wheelchair Access

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Re: Wheelchair Access

Post by Big Boy »

This morning was what is becoming a rare post-Covid visit to Market Village for Mrs BB and I. I was so pleased when I saw the barriers ensuring disabled bays were being reserved for the disabled.
Park.jpg
(154.43 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
I wasn't so pleased when I realised I had to block the traffic while I got out to move the barrier myself.

Barrier removed, I got back into my car to reverse into the space, and there is a guard arguing with Mrs BB that we could only use the space if we had a baby on board. :banghead: :banghead:

A long story, cut short, but I did park in the disabled parking space. One very disgruntled security guard.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I can understand him not being able to read English...... but there are pictures. Unbelievable.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, my wife has a wheelchair and a stick + I have a stomach. :laugh: 3 out of 4 aint bad :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My wife, the wheelchair and I took a stroll around the Bluport and Market Village Christmas lights this evening. The wheelchair access at Bluport was demolished during recent 'improvements! Just as bad was Market Village - their wheelchair ramp is still there, but blocked by no entry barriers to keep Covid restricted to one way in and one way out.
FFS Market Village, you're keeping more than Covid out - my wife had a purse full of money, which I'm pleased to say is still in tact!

So disappointing. They put on a great show to attract visitors, and then alienate the disabled :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The laws in this country are sometimes so unbelievable, you have to laugh, or you'd cry.

He shamed a man for taking a disabled parking space. Then he got sued.

A disability rights advocate spent half a day in jail – in his wheelchair – after a court unexpectedly accepted a criminal case against him and held him in custody as his lawyers scrambled to raise bail.

His alleged crime: taking a photo of a car that he believed was improperly occupying a wheelchair user’s parking space. He was slapped with a libel lawsuit, raising fears that advocacy for disability rights, an endeavor rarely backed by laws, is about to get even more difficult.

Full Story: https://prachatai.com/english/node/9842

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It is absolutely disgusting, and this one just goes to show that it is inbred, and nothing to do with any "laws".

I have had it happen to me several times. On one occasion a young bitch driving a Mini Cooper assaulted me, dragged my keys out of the ignition resulting in a deep cut on my hand and blood spraying around. She called the cops and eventually I had to go the the police station, where an old cop told her to piss off!

Just recently I have had to front up at the police station because some young delivery driver parked his motorbike right across the doorway to my Condo entry. My shoppping cart hit it, tipping it over breaking a couple of bottles of beer that were stacked up on th rear seat. The igorant cop started yelling at me and waving his arms about. Would not listen to the fact that I am partky disabled and the place is private property.

There has recently been two disabled parking bays painted into the parking area of my Condo. The space has been completely taken over by 4 or 5 motorbikes. I have complained several times to the "manager", but she either cannot, or WILL NOT do anything about it.

It goes on and on. A couple of months ago I parked in a disabled bay at a shopping center. When I came back some arsehole had parked right across in front of me. Luckily there was a young bloke passing by who pushed it out of the way for me.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The space has been completely taken over by 4 or 5 motorbikes.
Sounds just like the disabled parking bays in the Tessebahn Car Park.
I parked in a disabled bay at a shopping center. When I came back some arsehole had parked right across in front of me.
Very common on the Ground Floor of Market Village. They seem to think parking there for just 10 to 15 minutes negates them moving to one of the empty parking bays 15 yards away.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We've all seen these disabled spots taken by able bodied people. You only have to look at MV on a weekend. There's security nearby to these spaces and I've even seen them moving the barrier and assisting a driver to park. The driver exiting the car being completely able bodied and nothing is said.

I was surprised that there's no law to backup the use of disabled spots.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:34 pm There's security nearby to these spaces and I've even seen them moving the barrier and assisting a driver to park.
:shock: :shock: Have you seen pigs fly as well? Lazy gits. :cuss: :cuss:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:34 pm We've all seen these disabled spots taken by able bodied people. You only have to look at MV on a weekend. There's security nearby to these spaces and I've even seen them moving the barrier and assisting a driver to park. The driver exiting the car being completely able bodied and nothing is said.

I was surprised that there's no law to backup the use of disabled spots.
Law wouldn't matter, as has been said here many times, there's no reinforcement. That, and Thais only obey the law if they think it applies to them and that's usually when there's a cop looking directly at them. No matter how many high-rise blocks of ugly concrete are erected, this is still a 3rd. world country and an uneducated populace. It won't change until China takes over.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:34 pm I was surprised that there's no law to backup the use of disabled spots.
On private land, I assume it's up to the owner to enforce their parking regs. That was the case in most places, certainly the UK, not sure about now?
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Of course you're right, caller. I'm not sure I've ever seen disabled spaces in public areas.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:30 pm Of course you're right, caller. I'm not sure I've ever seen disabled spaces in public areas.
I hadn't thought about that, but now you mention it, I don't think I have either.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Do motorway service stations count? If not, me neither.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What about railway station car parks? This photo from one of the new stations just South of Hua Hin.

car_park.jpg
car_park.jpg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 721 times

Points 48; Position 20