Wheelchair Access

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Re: Wheelchair Access

Post by PeteC »

^ That's an interesting one. Are those disabled spots for short term use, or anyone disabled who may then take a train to Bangkok returning days later?

I personally think they should be for short term use to conduct business at the station only.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've no idea, but I note the next station down the line (Khao Tao) has a very similar, if not identical, construct, and disabled places marked in the same places in the car park.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Progress of sorts at least somewhere in Thailand. Should put a small smile on BB's face. :cheers:

Bangkok airport shames driver for parking in disabled bay

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ba ... sabled-bay

Thai netizens hailed an officer from Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok after he shamed a driver who selfishly parked a car in a disabled parking bay.

Pictures of a white luxury Nissan 350Z in a disabled parking bay at Suvarnabhumi Airport were posted on Facebook by Chatree Sintateeyakorn yesterday. The pictures quickly went viral.

The sign left on the illegally parked car’s front window caught the imagination of Thai social media.

The sign said…

“This parking area is reserved for disabled or elderly people. From the CCTV camera, you are neither disabled nor elderly.”

The netizens praised Suvarnabhumi Airport’s officers for their swift action.

“Great! Other officers should follow this practice, especially in shopping malls and petrol stations.”

“The team should get a reward for this great work!”

“Who knows? The driver might be disabled, in the brain.”

“They are rich and take advantage of others as a habit.”

According to Khaosod, the 5 million baht car belongs to a couple who have travelled aboard.

The general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Kittipong Kittikachon, revealed to the media that there were three cars illegally parked in disabled parking bays. The airport has clamped a wheel and it will cost the driver 1,000 baht to get it unlocked.

Kittpong admitted the fines do not go far enough and will not bother the drivers. So, last week, the airport launched a new measure to shame drivers.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I saw that earlier, but didn't comment. The driver does not have to be disabled - just somebody on board. I was ticketed before for parking in a disabled bay (with correct badge) to pick up my father, who was legitimate, and it was the closest space to him. It may be genuine, and probably is, but to put it in the news before they are sure could get somebody into trouble. I thought Thai law prevented such naming and shaming.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The caption heading reminded me that on Tuesday I undertook (for me) an unusually long walk along the main road between the MG car showroom towards the AA insurance office - something I very rarely do, but what struck me was how un-wheelchair friendly it is - the state of the paving is atrocious, so anybody like BB trying to push his wife, it would be virtually impossible. Having just returned from 5 months in the UK, the difference is incredible.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You are 100% correct Dannie Boy. We totally avoid the town centre these days. Before going anywhere, I have to think about car parking and wheelchair access. I can think of 3 car parks - the temple, under the hotel and the mud car park. Try pushing a wheelchair more than 30 yards from any of them.

I even changed my dentist because of the state of the pavements between the car parking and the dentist. Thailand has a long way to go to become wheelchair friendly.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:08 pm I saw that earlier, but didn't comment. The driver does not have to be disabled - just somebody on board. I was ticketed before for parking in a disabled bay (with correct badge) to pick up my father, who was legitimate, and it was the closest space to him. It may be genuine, and probably is, but to put it in the news before they are sure could get somebody into trouble. I thought Thai law prevented such naming and shaming.
Take my word for it, somebody disabled will NOT be getting in and out of a Nissan 350Z!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Be sure, TIT - if it saves face, they will find somebody they were meeting off a plane.

Don't get me wrong, I agree its almost certainly genuine, and I find such actions appalling. However, if they can afford CCTV and have people watching TV screens in a cosy office, maybe they could consider wardens wandering around to stop the offence before it happens.

Even our Hua Hin shopping malls put annoying barriers across the disabled parking spots with security guards watching to make sure the spaces aren't being abused. Paint on the car park alone isn't going to stop anybody.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I am usually the first to sing the praises of the lake at Khao Tao. However, they failed miserably today in the wheelchair accessibility stakes.

There's a ceremony at the lake this evening where people will be given the opportunity to put fish in to the lake in memorial of Rama 9 to mark the anniversary of his passing.

A nice gesture, but how was I expected to push Mrs BB's wheelchair through the blue barricades? The path was blocked far too early.

1.jpg
1.jpg (285.39 KiB) Viewed 978 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (309.39 KiB) Viewed 978 times

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Once again, that would require thinking and it ain't gonna happen.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:Once again, that would require thinking and it ain't gonna happen.
Not thinking - consideration, which is not something the disabled get a lot of here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:14 pm
handdrummer wrote:Once again, that would require thinking and it ain't gonna happen.
Not thinking - consideration, which is not something the disabled get a lot of here.
True, and consideration does require thinking. One needs to be taught how to think and be considerate, beyond the immediate family, from an early age
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No disabled parking at Market Village today :cuss:

They are re-doing the disabled parking slots - all at the same time :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

TIT. We already know that there's no such thing as 'planning' in the Thai psyche.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:12 pm TIT. We already know that there's no such thing as 'planning' in the Thai psyche.
Planning requires thinking, and that's not available.