Koh Chang resort sues expat over bad review

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Koh Chang resort sues expat over bad review

Post by HHTel »

I'm actually on the side of the hotel on this one, and not some cheap Charlie, wanting (and getting) something for nothing. If the American wins the day, is that the precedent allowing everybody to take their own booze into bars and restaurants?
Many already do. It's not uncommon to see Thais taking their own Sam Song and buying just soda. Mostly Thais, but I have seen foreigners do the same on occasion. Some bars display notices stating that customers are not allowed to bring drinks from outside.
I was surprised when I first saw people bringing their own bottle but then found it to be quite common.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well, Tripadvisor tends to agree that getting arrested for posting a review is going too far ...
"TripAdvisor is opposed to the idea that a traveller can be prosecuted for expressing opinions. Thankfully, on a global basis, prosecutions like this are rare and hundreds of millions of travellers are able to express themselves freely without facing criminal charges."
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -up-debate
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I would agree under normal circumstances, but this guy broke the law, regardless of what we think of that law. He was given numerous opportunities to rectify the problem, but basically stuck 2 fingers up at them. He thought he was above law, and chose to call their bluff.

People are going to be afraid to tell the truth on sites like Trip Advisor in future.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 am People are going to be afraid to tell the truth on sites like Trip Advisor in future.
Only if they're in Thailand which has thousands of stupid laws that make very little sense elsewhere.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 am I would agree under normal circumstances, but this guy broke the law, regardless of what we think of that law.
Perhaps you should start being more careful when you complain about local shopping and services?? :shock:
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Reminds me of a Judas Priest song ... :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 am
Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 am I would agree under normal circumstances, but this guy broke the law, regardless of what we think of that law.
Perhaps you should start being more careful when you complain about local shopping and services?? :shock:
:agree:

I have toned down a lot since almost being taken down a similar path once.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

buksida wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:27 am Reminds me of a Judas Priest song ... :duck:

Wesley Barnes reminds me of a Green Day song :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Why did Richard Barrow host the hotels statement?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

He seems to thrive on freebies - probably looking for another free holiday. Best he leaves his gin in the room though :run:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I just don't get it.

A law that in most civilised countries is treated as a civil matter is treated criminally in this country.

That's it really.

Peasants, know your place. And that includes us farang serfs as well.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

The resort owner or company should kick out this Czech restaurant manager who's behavior is more harmful to the reputation of this resort than the comments of Wesley Barnes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:35 pm The resort owner or company should kick out this Czech restaurant manager who's behavior is more harmful to the reputation of this resort than the comments of Wesley Barnes.
So what was this alleged harmful behaviour? From what I have read, he withheld the corkage charge in an attempt to diffuse the situation. Maybe you should go to one of Hua Hin's 6,000฿ a night hotels for a meal, taking your own alcohol, and tell us how you get on. If they eventually drop any corkage charge, maybe you should write a stinking report about their service.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Give it a rest, BB! Are you angling for a freebie??
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: As a tea total (at least until Guinness returns) I wouldn't have a corkage problem, and Mr Barnes has inspected the rooms already. Yeah, I'd give it a go :D

Points 48; Position 20