Help please: Fuel for hurricane lamps / lamp oil

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Help please: Fuel for hurricane lamps / lamp oil

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hi, cold ain't it? :shock:

I'm using hurricane lamps for light and heat in my garden (and because they look good), but finding good quality fuel escapes me.

I bought a bottle from a mom 'n' pop shop, half full (400cl of contents) but with a proper seal. A clear spirit but burns with a yellow flame and very sooty if I don't trim the wick right down, so it's little use. 70 Baht a pop. I think now it might be kerosene, horrible stuff.

The fuel that came with the lamps burns with a bright whitish flame, very nice.

Pics are attached (I hope).

I could buy online but Lazada is very confusing, liquid paraffin / while oil mineral oil / white gas, and so on, and I don't even trust the descriptions after I translate them.

And no guarantee that it will be clean and clear, and burn clear and bright.

Any local purchasing ideas please, guys and girls?

Thanks.

buksida

Re: Help please: Fuel for hurricane lamps / lamp oil

Post by buksida »

We get a lot of power outages so also have the lamps and fuel on standby. The Thai word you're looking for is 'num mun gaas' [น้ำมันก๊าด].

This is the stuff we use, can get it at most mom n pop hardware stores locally (though not sure about hua hin). Burns well, bright yellow flame, no soot unless the flame is too large, cheap to buy, does the job, and never had a problem with it.

fuel.jpg
fuel.jpg (122.37 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thanks but I really want to avoid kero again. The difference between that and a good lamp oil is quite amazing. I have two lamps lit together, same brand and same wick and the kero lamp must have the wick lower to avoid smoke, so it puts out much less light as well as heat.

Cheers.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Why are you fiddling with all that flammable stuff? I purchased at Home Pro a very good LED "camping" lamp that has a rechargeable battery. Battery life is extremely long which would more than take it through the evening.
Check them out and I think you will be more than pleased with what you find.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Fairplay, I just use them when the power is out or when we're camping, don't need five-star resort-style fancy illumination, and certainly don't need heat here!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son uses them for emergency lighting. There is certainly nothing 5* about them, but they are cheap, effective and only an on/off switch away you you need them.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

brianks wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:10 am Why are you fiddling with all that flammable stuff? I purchased at Home Pro a very good LED "camping" lamp that has a rechargeable battery. Battery life is extremely long which would more than take it through the evening.
Check them out and I think you will be more than pleased with what you find.
I'm not scared of flammable stuff; I like the authenticity of a real flame in a hurricane lamp; I don't need to bother whether the battery is charged or low, it just works and for several hours if need be; I like the extra heat at this time of year- it's been a few degrees below 30 in the early evening on my pool deck, with an actual chilly wind at times, but I still like to be outside.

After many years in the Middle East my blood is a little thin.

This is not for emergency use, power cuts here are rare and anyway I can use my phone to lay my hand on my lighter....
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Big Boy and I have presented you with a very viable alternative that does NOT have any of the drawbacks you perceive them to have. I have these lights all over my house (and attic) for power outages and none have ever run out of juice. Charge every few months just to be safe though. Be brave and try something new.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

brianks wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:56 am Big Boy and I have presented you with a very viable alternative that does NOT have any of the drawbacks you perceive them to have. I have these lights all over my house (and attic) for power outages and none have ever run out of juice. Charge every few months just to be safe though. Be brave and try something new.
I do NOT appreciate silly sarcasm - bravery? Oh dear.

I told you why I LIKE my style, yet you fail to understand it. This is NOT for power outages and practicality, I thought I made it clear, obviously not.

I came here for an answer to a simple purchasing question. :roll:

Thanks.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

This thread can be closed, I found what I wanted online.