Govt approves 120km/h speed limit

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Govt approves 120km/h speed limit

Post by Big Boy »

It will all be down to interpretation. However, it won't matter one bit because since they made it illegal to collect tea money roadside, police don't leave the police station any more.

Funny thing, apart from one photo many years ago where I was caught bang to rights, every speeding fine I've been conned out of has been when I've been sat stationary at a police road block. I most definitely hadn't been speeding when conned, but they always reckoned they had a mate a few miles down the road who had clocked me and phoned them. If I had been speeding, fair enough, but I know it has always been a blatant lie. However I pay the 200฿ toll charge and get on my way again.

Until we get an effective police force, law making is pointless.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The areas where cars would be allowed to legally reach 120kph must at least have four traffic lanes with median barriers and the road must be straight, without junctions or U-turns, he said.
https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand ... eed-limit/

That was reported yesterday.

As I said, no change!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My interpretation is 4 lanes, 2 each way. How many highways have 4 lanes each way, not very many, and the Motorways which do speeds have been 120 for a long time.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Rama II has 4 lanes and currently 90kph

2 lanes with the offside lane with a minimum speed limit of 100 kph. Really?

Also no ground level U-turns. That knocks out most roads doesn't it?

We'll just have to wait for the signage.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/sp ... es-an-hour

It’s official – the maximum speed limit on 4-lane highways in Thailand has been increased to 120 kilometres per hour, with the new regulation published in the Royal Gazette yesterday. Previously 90 kilometres per hour, Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob says the increase in the maximum speed limit is aimed at improving the flow of traffic in line with conditions, while keeping road users safe.

The new limit applies only to highways with 4 lanes or more (at least 2 lanes travelling in each direction, divided by barriers). In the case of roads with traffic signs that indicate minimum and maximum speeds, drivers must adhere to those limits when traffic conditions and other circumstances allow. The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns. Nation Thailand has summarised the speed limit regulations based on vehicle type and taking the new speed limit into account:

Vehicles with fewer than 7 seats: maximum 120 kilometres per hour
Vehicles in the rightmost lane: minimum 100 kilometres per hour
Passenger vehicles of over 7 seats but fewer than 15 seats: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
Vehicles with more than 15 seats or weighing over 2,200 kilograms: maximum 90 kilometres per hour
Tricycles and tow trucks: maximum 65 kilometres per hour
Motorcycles: maximum 80 kilometres per hour
Motorcycles with engines of 400cc or more: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
School buses: maximum 80 kilometres per hour

The increase to 120 kilometres per hour comes a month before the huge holiday getaway that is Songkran, or Thai New Year. This year, the government has announced an extended holiday period from April 10 – April 15, in a bid to boost domestic tourism. To coincide with the holiday, the Department of Land Transport has teamed up with car service centres nationwide to offer free vehicle checks.

Jirut Wisanjit from the DLT is urging drivers to get their cars and motorbikes serviced before setting off in order to ensure their roadworthiness.

“This year’s Songkran holidays start as early as April 10 and last until April 15, and we estimate that a lot of people will travel by road to their hometowns or tourist attractions, which could result in a spike in the number of road accidents. The ‘Free Vehicle Check-up for Road Safety’ activity therefore aims to urge owners to keep their vehicles in the best condition to prevent any accident and promote road safety for all. Under the campaign, vehicle owners can avail of free check-up services at participating service centres nationwide.“

According to the Nation Thailand report, the comprehensive check-up will include brakes, tyres, wiper blades, oil leakage, lighting and signals, and air filters, among others. Jirut says participating auto-service centres will display an advertising banner to advise drivers. The DLT is also advising drivers to adhere to the rules of the road, including the wearing of seat belts, sticking to the speed limit, not drinking and driving and ensuring drivers get the recommended rest time of at least 7 or 8 hours before getting behind the wheel.

SOURCE: Nation Thailand
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmm.......
Vehicles in the rightmost lane: minimum 100 kilometres per hour
I normally travel between 85 and 95 kilometres per hour. In future, I will not be permitted to overtake on a 2 lane dual carriageway :banghead:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure that if you need to overtake, a momentary speed of 95 won’t get you a fine assuming you return to the correct lane - it’s those that insist on stay out there when travelling at 80 (or less) that are the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm also thinking of times I've driven to Bangkok when all 4 lanes have been crawling. Nobody will get a fine because police don't come out since it became illegal to take roadside fines.

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If 4 lanes are at a crawl, then you can bet your bottom dollar that the 'hard shoulder/safety zone" is also being used so police and any other emergency vehicles are unable to get to whereever!
The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns. The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns.
That knocks out many of Thailand's roads.

I wonder how they classify a '7 seater'. Most SUV's are 7 seaters. I have two, both of which seat 7.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:If 4 lanes are at a crawl, then you can bet your bottom dollar that the 'hard shoulder/safety zone" is also being used so police and any other emergency vehicles are unable to get to whereever!
The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns. The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns.
That knocks out many of Thailand's roads.

I wonder how they classify a '7 seater'. Most SUV's are 7 seaters. I have two, both of which seat 7.
They contradict themselves saying less than 7 and then more than 7 and up to 15, so presumably (dangerous I know) they actually mean 7 or less, or more than 7!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's not the vehicles that need to be checked, it's the drivers. Vehicles rarely cause accidents, drivers always cause them.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

But isn't it usually the vehicle at fault here; failing brakes, failing steering, exploding tyres, etc? At least according to reports.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:09 am But isn't it usually the vehicle at fault here; failing brakes, failing steering, exploding tyres, etc? At least according to reports.
Drunk drivers, inexperienced drivers, driving to fast for the road, weather, traffic. I'd trust the vehicle before I'd trust a Thai driver.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Sorry. Must try to be more explicit with sarcasm.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:00 pm ^^ Sorry. Must try to be more explicit with sarcasm.
I have the same fault. Lately, I've been trying to fine emoji's, whatever that means, to define what I'm saying. :rasta: