Buruli ulcer

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Buruli ulcer

Post by PeteC »

A few on here have suffered from a similar problem. Doubtful the article describes the exact cause of what people here in Thailand had, but it's interesting to read the similarities. A long article with many photos and sub-links about the disease.

The mystery of Australia's flesh-eating disease

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2021 ... -australia

Adam Noel thought it was just a mosquito bite. He'd noticed the slightly raised, red mark on the back of his ankle about a week before, but it wasn't getting better. The doctors thought it was some kind of skin irritation. Two more weeks went by, but his heel now had a hole in it. "There is something very strange going on," he thought, so he drove himself to Austin Hospital in Melbourne to have it looked at again.

It was April 2020 and the coronavirus pandemic had a firm grip on Australia. Staff were overwhelmed. The doctors told him the wound would heal up soon enough. Instead, after a few more days, you could see his Achilles tendon through the now table tennis ball-sized hole in his flesh. So back to hospital he went, this time to St Vincent's, one of Australia's leading hospitals. They kept him in for about a week taking biopsies before finally confirming the cause of Noel's ordeal. It was Buruli ulcer: a bacterial disease that can cause large open wounds and, if untreated, lead to permanent disfigurement.

It was about six weeks from Noel noticing the mark to getting a definitive biopsy and taking the right medication. The doctors say he could have lost his foot. (Continued at link)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Buruli ulcer

Post by Big Boy »

I guess I'm one of the few you are referring to :D . The ulcers in the photos are miniature in comparison.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:59 pm I guess I'm one of the few you are referring to :D . The ulcers in the photos are miniature in comparison.
Have you completely healed BB?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh yes, I've been healed for about 7 years now. I get minor outbreaks, but my daughter knows exactly what to do. The original wound has not given me any trouble since healing. Any outbreaks are completely new.

[Edit] Reading that again it must make no sense. Healed, but still getting outbreaks :?

The original problem is fully healed. However, any minor wound can result in a very similar problem, but the ulcer will not be in the same place. Basically, I have to be very aware. My daughter checks my feet and legs every day in case I haven't noticed.

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:57 pm Oh yes, I've been healed for about 7 years now. I get minor outbreaks, but my daughter knows exactly what to do. The original wound has not given me any trouble since healing. Any outbreaks are completely new.

[Edit] Reading that again it must make no sense. Healed, but still getting outbreaks :?

The original problem is fully healed. However, any minor wound can result in a very similar problem, but the ulcer will not be in the same place. Basically, I have to be very aware. My daughter checks my feet and legs every day in case I haven't noticed.
Glad the original malady is over at least!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not as glad as I am. When it goes month after month not getting better, sometimes getting worse, you naturally start worrying about the safety of your leg.

Points 48; Position 20