Changes in the Taste Buds and Sense of Smell

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Changes in the Taste Buds and Sense of Smell

Post by PeteC »

No more food reviews in Feeding Time please by anyone over 60. The information may not be accurate?! :laugh: :duck:

https://www.comfortkeepers.com/info-cen ... e-of-smell

Taste buds: Who really gives them a thought? Once you learned about them in grade school, you likely did not consider them the reason for food tasting good or bad, sweet or salty, spicy or mild. When you eat, you either like foods you are trying, or you do not.

You are born with 9,000 taste buds, which work in tandem with your sense of smell as your sense of taste relies primarily on odors. Your sense of smell and taste change as you age. Between the ages of 40 and 50, the number of taste buds decreases, and the rest begin to shrink, losing mass vital to their operation. After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods. The sense of smell does not begin to fade until after the age of 70; its decrease exacerbates the loss of taste for those affected. The exact cause of these changes is up for debate. However, the actual reason taste and smell decline with age may not be as important as the resulting effects it has on you and your nutritional balance.

For many, losing the senses of taste and smell means diminished appetites. The aroma of a delicious meal is what causes you to long for a taste. If food suddenly does not smell or taste as it once did, you may not eat as much as you should. You may lose interest in fruits, vegetables and other dishes that provide the nourishment critical to maintaining good health. Because saliva production also diminishes with age, you may also experience dry mouth and have difficulty swallowing. If you are elderly, this can sometimes mean that eating becomes more of a chore than an enjoyment, again possibly leading to malnourishment.

An additional factor is that if you do lose your sense of smell, you are at greater risk of failing to detect the scent of rancid food or poisonous gas. However, there are a some steps you can take to overcome these obstacles. If you are losing your sense of smell, install visual gas detection monitors that will alert you if any harmful gas is present in your home. Check the expiration dates on all food before consuming them, and if a container does not list an expiration date, write the date of purchase on it with a permanent marker. Add spices and seasonings to food to enhance flavor. For example, you can add garlic to mashed potatoes or marinate your favorite meat.

Losing your senses of taste and smell may not be fun, but it does not mean that the good life is over. You can prepare yourself for these changes in advance. Be prepared to accept change, adapt, and be aware of potential hazards. By doing so, you can commit to aging gracefull every step of the way.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Changes in the Taste Buds and Sense of Smell

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I think this is a load of rubbish. I am 76 and my sense of taste and smell are stil functioning as well as they have for many years. I would like to know the basics of his research, not one 80 year old in his article.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although there could be some “science” behind the claim, I doubt very much that it’s linear - some will be affected earlier and some later in life, similar to many other aspects of “getting old” - some age better than others!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Take your pick. There are a couple of pages of search results on the subject.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well I'm 75 and I can definitely tell the difference betweeen a Taylor's Port and a Cockburns, or good camembert against a cheap one. A good malt whiskey and a glass of Bell's. Now I couldn't have done that when I was 20, so on that basis, my sense of taste has improved!!

My daughter lost her sense of taste and smell during her bout of Covid. Knowing what it's like, she wouldn't wish it on anyone. She said that at the worst point, she could have chewed on dogshit and would be unable to tell between that and a cookie!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm She said that at the worst point, she could have chewed on dogshit and would be unable to tell between that and a cookie!
I know exactly what that is like. I had a very bad cold a couple of years ago when I lost all sense of taste and smell. Somebody gave me a JUMBO slice of what i thought was the nicest birthday cake I've ever had. Now my body has a very severe reaction to coconut. This was coconut cake. Yes, I was violently ill, in fact I don't ever remember being so ill. Thankfully it all came back pretty quickly, but not as fast as the cake.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

A lack of zinc in your diet will diminish your sense of smell and taste. A blood test will determine your level of zinc. You can look up the foods that contain zinc. If needed, you can take zinc in capsule or tablet form. If you take a multi vitamin with minerals, you're probably getting enough zinc as it's a micro mineral.

At age 82 I can still smell the difference between dog shit and cookies so I must have enough zinc.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm Well I'm 75 and I can definitely tell the difference betweeen a Taylor's Port and a Cockburns, or good camembert against a cheap one. A good malt whiskey and a glass of Bell's. Now I couldn't have done that when I was 20.....
That's because you're older, I've noticed this myself, (late fifties,) when you're younger you can't differentiate a good whisky because the alcohol overwhelms your taste buds, it only becomes enjoyable when you get older.
I remember trying single malts in my twenties and being completely baffled by why any one would bother but now I love the stuff, the same with strong blue cheese.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

handdrummer wrote:A lack of zinc in your diet will diminish your sense of smell and taste. A blood test will determine your level of zinc. You can look up the foods that contain zinc. If needed, you can take zinc in capsule or tablet form. If you take a multi vitamin with minerals, you're probably getting enough zinc as it's a micro mineral.

At age 82 I can still smell the difference between dog shit and cookies so I must have enough zinc.
What about dog shit in cookies? Maybe those weren't chocolate chip cookies Image

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Thailightzone wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:00 am
handdrummer wrote:A lack of zinc in your diet will diminish your sense of smell and taste. A blood test will determine your level of zinc. You can look up the foods that contain zinc. If needed, you can take zinc in capsule or tablet form. If you take a multi vitamin with minerals, you're probably getting enough zinc as it's a micro mineral.

What about dog shit in cookies? Maybe those weren't chocolate chip cookies Image

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
I don't eat the cookies, I only smell them, because you never know what's in a cookie.