Vaccines - Covid 19

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.

Full time or part time foreign residents of Thailand which vaccine(s) have you or will you receive?

______First__________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
15%
Johnson & Johnson
1%
Moderna
1%
Pfizer
18%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
14%
Other
No votes
______Second________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
25%
Moderna
3%
Pfizer
20%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 79

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Vaccines - Covid 19

Post by hhinner »

The article says it's a treatment, so not a vaccine.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I beg to differ - I have no medical knowledge other than what I read, but the article includes the two following points,which suggests to me that it’s not just a treatment.

“The findings further support Evusheld as a potential important option to help protect vulnerable patients such as the immunocompromised who could face poor outcomes if they were to become infected with COVID-19."

“In February, the FDA revised the emergency use authorization for Evusheld, changing its initial dose for the authorized use as a prevention against COVID-19 in certain cases.”
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Seems to be more treatment than vaccine to me.

Pre-exposure prevention with Evusheld is not a substitute for vaccination in individuals for whom COVID-19 vaccination is recommended.
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... e-exposure

It is important to remember this medication is not a substitute for the COVID-19 vaccine.

https://primaryimmune.org/news/update-a ... ompromised
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure if you look hard enough you’ll find data to support both sides of any argument (not that we’re having an argument).

An extract from the following article,

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/evus ... se-is-poor

Dr June Raine, MHRA Chief Executive said:
“After a careful review of the data, I am pleased to confirm that we have authorised another medicine to help protect against the effects of COVID-19.

“Evusheld is a “pre-exposure prophylaxis” treatment, meaning it is taken to prevent COVID-19 before the risk of acquiring infection. One dose has been found to provide long-lasting protection against this disease for up to 6 months.

“While the COVID-19 vaccines continue to be the first-line defence against COVID-19, we know that some people may not respond adequately to these vaccines and for a small number of individuals COVID-19 vaccines may not be recommended for other reasons, such as a previous allergic reaction to one of the vaccine ingredients.

“For these people, Evusheld could provide effective protection against COVID-19.”
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

OK, not a treatment, but a preventative "pre-exposure prophylaxis" (does that make it a vaccine?).
AstraZeneca's Evusheld (tixagevimab co-packaged with cilgavimab), a long-acting antibody (LAAB) combination, has received emergency use authorisation (EUA) in the US for the pre-exposure prophylaxis (prevention) of COVID-19, with first doses expected to become available very soon.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted the EUA for Evusheld for pre-exposure prophylaxis of COVID-19 in adults and adolescents (aged 12 and older who weigh 40kg or more) with moderate to severe immune compromise due to a medical condition or immunosuppressive medications and who may not mount an adequate immune response to COVID-19 vaccination, as well as those individuals for whom COVID-19 vaccination is not recommended. Recipients should not be currently infected with or had recent known exposure to a person infected with SARS-CoV-2.
Link: https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centr ... id-19.html
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hopefully GHW will join in and put us all right!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:clap: :clap:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

278444487_352514760244674_6058581205003113171_n.jpg
278444487_352514760244674_6058581205003113171_n.jpg (116.8 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Just saw the discussion about Evusheld and since the question was asked, I feel I should just point out that it's not a vaccine.

A vaccine is a medical product that contains antigens from a disease-causing pathogen. Upon exposure to the antigens the body's immune system produces antibodies in response.

Evusheld contains antibodies not antigens, so it can't be classified as a vaccine. It appears it is used as a prophylaxis rather than a treatment but that still doesn't make it a vaccine.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Siriraj Hospital offering walk-in Moderna vaccine service

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ne-service

The Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital is offering free walk-in Moderna Covid-19 vaccination for 1,400 people a day this Thursday, and on May 20, May 27, June 1 and June 8.

The announcement said the faculty earlier opened online Moderna vaccination bookings for its hospital personnel, with registration via QR Code. As there was an adequate supply of Moderna vaccine, it was now being offered to the general public, including relatives of faculty personnel.

A staff member who answered a phone call to the hospital said there was no charge.

Dates to get a full or half dose of vaccine are as follows:

- A full dose of Moderna vaccine available on May 12, May 20, May 27 and June 8.

- Half doses of Moderna vaccine available on June 1.

The walk-in vaccination service is available for 1,400 people a day from 8.30am to 2.30pm on the above-dates at Rajapattayalai Auditorium in Bangkok's Bangkok Noi district, Siriraj Hospital said on its sirirajpr Facebook page.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:25 pm Just saw the discussion about Evusheld and since the question was asked, I feel I should just point out that it's not a vaccine.

A vaccine is a medical product that contains antigens from a disease-causing pathogen. Upon exposure to the antigens the body's immune system produces antibodies in response.

Evusheld contains antibodies not antigens, so it can't be classified as a vaccine. It appears it is used as a prophylaxis rather than a treatment but that still doesn't make it a vaccine.
Not quite true for MRNA vaccines, but I take your point.
Pre-exposure prevention with Evusheld is not a substitute for vaccination in individuals for whom COVID-19 vaccination is recommended.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

HHTel wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:10 am
Not quite true for MRNA vaccines, but I take your point.
Well yes - I thought that after writing it and realised I should have said something like "introduces antigens from a disease-causing pathogen into the body" in order to cover mRNA (and DNA) vaccines which don't contain the actual antigens but rather the instructions for creating them. It's a somewhat esoteric but technically valid distinction.

By the time I realised that, it was too late to change it though.
buksida

Post by buksida »

People who got Sinovac vaccine nearly 5 times more likely to develop severe COVID-19 than Pfizer: Singapore study
People who took Sinovac’s CoronaVac vaccine are nearly five times more likely to develop severe symptoms from COVID-19 than those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine, a Singapore study has found.

The study, published on Tuesday (Apr 12), involved about 2.7 million people in Singapore aged 20 and above who received two doses under the national vaccination programme.

It covered a seven-week period in 2021 from Oct 1 to Nov 21, when cases in Singapore surged due to the Delta variant.

The team, which included infectious diseases experts from the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) and the Ministry of Health (MOH), observed a lower relative effectiveness of the two inactivated whole virus vaccines - Sinovac and Sinopharm - against COVID-19 infection compared to the mRNA vaccines - Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

Those who received the Sinovac vaccine were 4.59 times more likely to have severe COVID-19 compared to those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. They were also 2.37 times more likely to be infected, compared to those who took the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... dy-2625511
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Could be part or all of the reason that China is so spooked.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think this is anything new. Many countries that opted for just Sinovac have had similar problem.

Is this not why Thailand moved towards the the sino-cocktails?

Personally, I live in a household that has been hit by Covid twice, but my sino-cocktail has kept me safe.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: