Binthabat/karaoke Areas

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Big Boy

Binthabat/karaoke Areas

Post by Big Boy »

This will not be news to many of you. I too have watched a few videos about the demise of the area, but comments have always pointed out the bars have never been busy at that time of day anyway.

Preparing for my eye op, I had to refrain from alcohol consumption since before Christmas and last night was my first bar night out of the year. As usual, my choice was Father Teds for Guinness. Teds was as quiet as Ive known it.

About 9:15 my son and I took a short reconnaissance walk up Poonsuk, down Binthabat and back to Teds via the karaoke areas. I found it hard to comprehend what I was seeing.
  • Poonsuk was in darkness apart from the French Bar, which had 2 girls sat outside (assume staff), and three restaurants with lights on, but no customers.
  • Bintabaht, as we approached it was hideously loud, which always puts me right off the place. I turned into the Soi, and first impressions were, nothing has changed i.e. loud music, girls in the soi trying to entice us into their bars. It's always reassuring to have it confirmed that I'm still handsum, and I was very welcome to enter their bar. However, upon close inspection there were very few bums on seats. The most we saw in any bar was 6 punters. As we walked down the Soi, there was very little happening from the square onwards. I noticed King Bar was open on the left, but no punters, and think the same on the right from U Turn (again empty) There was one other bar open on the right (don't know name) which is where we spotted 6 punters.
  • We turned right at the Hilton. There was one bar open on the right with no punters, and the bars that front the karaoke area simply looked abandoned. One bar seemed to have a storm damaged roof where punters should have been enjoying themselves. My son reckoned he could see a light inside SamSam, but there was no other sign of life
Since moving to Thailand, I may have been to Binthablock 30 times in 9 years, but when on holiday, this was always our playground. It was shocking to see the demise.

Will it survive? I honestly think it has gone beyond the point of no return. There are other options available these days, much cheaper, and quite honestly, much nicer bars.

This is entirely my personal view based on a 10 minute walkthrough at about 9:15pm. I was shocked.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Binthabat/karaoke Areas

Post by buksida »

By all accounts it was like this long before Covid hit, only really ramping up for the couple of month high season which was getting shorter every year and now doesn't even exist!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:By all accounts it was like this long before Covid hit, only really ramping up for the couple of month high season which was getting shorter every year and now doesn't even exist!
Yes, it had started to decline from its peak but it was absolutely nothing like it is now(in the 12/18 months pre covid). I lived on its doorstep for many years until quite recently

The problem the area has now is getting the property owners who were enjoying 80,000 month rents(allegedly) to face up to the facts that they will be lucky to get 10% of that now. Or to sell at a low price for redevelopment. Not in the Thai nature

Not sure how compulsory purchases work here but this area has been long earmarked for substantial redevelopment for many years apparently, so I've read on here and heard whispers etc.

The powers that be have wanted the girl bars moved out of town for 10 years or so

Quite what they will put there is debatable. A Central style mall was no doubt mooted at one point but have they missed the boat(Bluport) ?

The only chance Bintablock has got of surviving is if the rents come crashing down AND punters return to Thailand . Even then it's highly debatable.

Moreover, I can forsee further expansion in the 94 area

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Business was bad but I don't think so many places in darkness. The terrace in front of the karaoke places always had decent support. This has to be seen with your own eyes to believe it. Think worst scenario and multiply by 4.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I would imagine the shutdowns are the same in all tourist-related nightlife spots such as Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, etc, where rents are ridiculous. The authorities have been trying to quash nocturnal activities in Hua Hin ever since I've been here, though things were a blast in the 19-naughties when the bars were open 24 hours and everything a kilometer outside town center was jungle!

I spend a lot of time in Kanchanaburi, and although its quieter than usual, all the bars are still open and operating down their little strip.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

things were a blast in the 19-naughties when bars were open 24 hours.
Happy days, sadly gone.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's the same all over the world, I walked past what used to be a very popular bar in Luxembourg yesterday and it's now a pile of rubble with a backhoe on top.
Who is going to invest in an industry where you sign a contract for high rents but then get shut down for months at a time?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You can but hope, that the few that survive will be bending over backwards to attract customers once they’re allowed to return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:You can but hope, that the few that survive will be bending over backwards to attract customers once they’re allowed to return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can recall after the reopening 1 July that the writing was on the wall then for a number of months that followed

It was clear that there were far more customers, atmosphere and girls in Soi 80, where the drinks and bar fines were almost half the price.

But Bintablock still refused to drop prices, still 100 baht a beer or Sangsom 80/90/100.

I'd be interested to know what's happening with London Bar. Last I heard it was getting a major refurb. But if there's no customers......

Theres no doubt that Soi 94 Wonderland is the new Bintablock now(along with 80)

The Question, as BB infers is, is this permanent?

usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Folk are very quick to knock Binta's bar owners for charging 100b for small beers, but when the greedy landlords/landladies are hiking up your rent/key-money every damn year, the bars have no option but to charge these prices.
Yes Soi 80 has cheaper beer etc because many own the bar, or are still paying cheap rent.
As for the loud music down Binta..this is down to Thai Bar girl/Mamasan mentality.. Loud music gives them a sense of cockiness and power. .I've had to witness it 1st hand for 20 years..& this attitude goes hand in hand with the fact that the bar usually has a Farang paying all the monthly bills etc, so the bar does not need customers, and the girls (usually hardened rough cows) do what the hell they want each evening as long as it's not serving/being nice. (pool table, Sangsom/soda/ice, & banging music, you've all seen it) .. :banghead:
Binta's only lifeline over the years has been the fact that it was a shortcut from the Hilton area for tourists heading towards the night-market .All the girls had to do was be sweet and maybe they'd get a family in for 2-3 rounds of drinks..? I spent a long time choosing the music/volume level/minimal bass, and the lighting in our little place, JUST so it was potentially inviting.
BUT now those days are over, A scattering of drinkers, and rents/keymoney that are still sky high, then yes..Binta.. (as we all remember it) is doomed!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

usual suspect wrote:Folk are very quick to knock Binta's bar owners for charging 100b for small beers, but when the greedy landlords/landladies are hiking up your rent/key-money every damn year, the bars have no option but to charge these prices.
Yes Soi 80 has cheaper beer etc because many own the bar, or are still paying cheap rent.
As for the loud music down Binta..this is down to Thai Bar girl/Mamasan mentality.. Loud music gives them a sense of cockiness and power. .I've had to witness it 1st hand for 20 years..& this attitude goes hand in hand with the fact that the bar usually has a Farang paying all the monthly bills etc, so the bar does not need customers, and the girls (usually hardened rough cows) do what the hell they want each evening as long as it's not serving/being nice. (pool table, Sangsom/soda/ice, & banging music, you've all seen it) .. :banghead:
Binta's only lifeline over the years has been the fact that it was a shortcut from the Hilton area for tourists heading towards the night-market .All the girls had to do was be sweet and maybe they'd get a family in for 2-3 rounds of drinks..? I spent a long time choosing the music/volume level/minimal bass, and the lighting in our little place, JUST so it was potentially inviting.
BUT now those days are over, A scattering of drinkers, and rents/keymoney that are still sky high, then yes..Binta.. (as we all remember it) is doomed!
Yes to be fair I meant to make that point(higher rents, higher prices)

The tenants of these bars should send video evidence of Binta on several different evenings to the rich owners in Bangkok and Hong Kong.

Surely the property owners will have to listen to reason...... or get no rent at all.

Based on what I've heard and learned they'll opt for the latter!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know because I rarely drink. However, people are telling me that drinks in the new Wonderland are almost on a par with Binthabat prices. Rents have started fairly cheap at Wonderland, but they will be hiked after a few months. Does that mean Wonderland prices will increase further to pay the increased rents? If so, surely that might make Binthabat a more viable proposition again.

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The rental on the small/round bars in Wonderland were set at 9,000b/month for the 1st 3 months, jumping to 12,000 from then on.. I do not know of any other 'hidden' expenses that may have to be paid..?
IF W/L can keep it's customers, and the bars can thrive (without hiking the prices to much) then these owners are paying less than half what it costs for a single unit on Binta (not inc. those 'expenses' such as key-money and tea money x 2!) Some owners in W/L HAVE thrown the towel in at their long-running Binta-Block bars, & are having a fresh start. Time (& tourist/returnee numbers) will surely tell..??
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What about short time hotels and rooms? Are there any in the proximity?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Talking of Wonderland which is relevant to the main topic of Bintablock dying..... I see that Double Kiss on 94 shut down yesterday. Closed until further notice apparently....

Pressure from Wonderland? Those new bars must be taking business from not only Bintablock but existing 94 bars too

Although Double Kiss certainly seemed busier than some other bars on 94 and with 4 pool tables I thought it had its own niche

Turbulent times in the food and beverage game

I wonder if & when the novelty of Wonderland will wear off???