Cholesterol reduction tips

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
pharvey

Re: Cholesterol reduction tips

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:41 am Maybe a new wife in her mid-20s would help me lower it then ... :duck:
Don't think it would do much for the blood pressure though........
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:54 pm
buksida wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:41 am Maybe a new wife in her mid-20s would help me lower it then ... :duck:
At my age and disability it would be a pleasant way to end it all. :naughty: :lach:

Back to topic. I have been on avorstatins for 10 years having had a high chlolestorol reading 9.2 I have been under 5 for about 6 years. There is no history of it in my family.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:06 pm
At my age and disability it would be a pleasant way to end it all. :naughty: :lach:

Back to topic. I have been on avorstatins for 10 years having had a high chlolestorol reading 9.2 I have been under 5 for about 6 years. There is no history of it in my family.
Have you experienced any muscle weakness or reduced kidney and/or liver function?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Deeeeep breath...

The Armenian Amazon guy (as opposed to the Polish, Slovakian and Lithuanian Amazon guys) has just delivered my ACV with Mother and my Red Yeast Rice capsules! YEEEEAAAAAAAAA!! Here's to a new healthy, cholesterol-free lifestyle! :cheers: :dance:
This is the way
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:06 pm

No everything working well.
buksida

Post by buksida »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:06 pm Back to topic. I have been on avorstatins for 10 years having had a high chlolestorol reading 9.2 I have been under 5 for about 6 years. There is no history of it in my family.
This is the thing ... I did the ratio (total over HDL) and it works out as 4.65 which is within normal boundaries in the west. Thailand, as usual, does things its own way and scares the living daylights out of you with its unique way of counting and generating figures.

I'm theoretically dead already if I believed the Thai way of doing things.

The Buksi diet of pumpkin soup, porridge, ACV, and beetroot juice and rum has worked a treat this week ... down to 78kgs already!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What you say reinforces my belief that the Thai hospitals see foreigners as an ongoing revenue stream. Time and time again it's recheck this and recheck that, and that doesn't look proper. On and on. It's easy to lose faith in the medical profession here unless you're lucky enough to stumble upon a western educated GP or the like where you have a good, honest rapport and you feel comfortable trusting them. It's really uncomfortable and raises one's BP to be in a constant state of alert and on your guard against some form of gouging.

It's possible to be in worse condition after leaving a check up than you were when you arrived! :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 am The Buksi diet of pumpkin soup, porridge, ACV, and beetroot juice and rum has worked a treat this week ... down to 78kgs already!
Hell's teeth, Buksi! I'd need a heck of a lot of rum to get me through that diet! :shock: :laugh:

I've always been a bit sceptical about BMI calculations and height-weight ratios. Just checked my BMI, which as I expected puts me at the top end of overweight verging on obese.

I'm built for rugby rather than football, and definitely not for the marathon! Apparently my ideal weight lies somewhere between 8st 10lbs and 11st 5lbs (72kg). The only time I've ever come anywhere near that weight as an adult was 12st (76kg) after an extended period of amoebic dysentery (in Pakistan) when I was 30, and after several months of chemo aged 56 (in Thailand), and everyone who knew me thought I was on death's doorstep. Even a couple of years ago, after throat cancer and radiotherapy, when I couldn't get much down for a few months, I only got down to 12st 8lbs. I'm 14 stone (89kg) now, and I reckon I'm about 10-14lbs over my ideal weight, but that would still leave me substantially overweight according to the BMI index.

Oh well, I'll just have to live with it, I suppose (hopefully... :D ).
This is the way
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:10 pm
buksida wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 am The Buksi diet of pumpkin soup, porridge, ACV, and beetroot juice and rum has worked a treat this week ... down to 78kgs already!
Hell's teeth, Buksi! I'd need a heck of a lot of rum to get me through that diet! :shock: :laugh:

I've always been a bit sceptical about BMI calculations and height-weight ratios. Just checked my BMI, which as I expected puts me at the top end of overweight verging on obese.

I'm built for rugby rather than football, and definitely not for the marathon! Apparently my ideal weight lies somewhere between 8st 10lbs and 11st 5lbs (72kg). The only time I've ever come anywhere near that weight as an adult was 12st (76kg) after an extended period of amoebic dysentery (in Pakistan) when I was 30, and after several months of chemo aged 56 (in Thailand), and everyone who knew me thought I was on death's doorstep. Even a couple of years ago, after throat cancer and radiotherapy, when I couldn't get much down for a few months, I only got down to 12st 8lbs. I'm 14 stone (89kg) now, and I reckon I'm about 10-14lbs over my ideal weight, but that would still leave me substantially overweight according to the BMI index.

Oh well, I'll just have to live with it, I suppose (hopefully... :D ).
I do not understand this BMI index to me it is illogical. I am 6ft 3 inches and weight of 12 stone, however my bone size is very small. I have a freind who is 6ft 5 inches tall his wrists are a lot bigger than mine and no fat. He is fitter than me and 3 stone heavier but his BMI index is very high. The index does not seem to account for bone weight and size.
Can someone explain this.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:10 pm
Yes, BMI can be total tosh for some people. I decided I wanted to significantly bulk up my muscle mass in 2019 (have since reverted back to lean, I prefer it) which put my BMI count at 'obese'. Even when I'm skinny, my weight is at the top end of 'healthy'. Heavy bones, I guess.

I no longer bother with BMI checks. They're widely regarded as useless when looking at individuals. A measurement of your waistline is a far more accurate indicator for obesity. To be honest, a quick scan of yourself in the mirror should suffice. :laugh:

bmi-fat-and-muscle-same (1).jpeg
bmi-fat-and-muscle-same (1).jpeg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Why BMI is inaccurate and misleading.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Just to add to the body weight issue, as obesity does change the way your body deals with cholesterol, the beauty of the internet means we have personal trainers at our fingertips for free. Loads of good cardio workouts you can follow along with on YouTube from beginner to advanced. Plenty of low impact stuff for those with dodgy knees etc. I try and get 3 or 4 youtube classes in a week.

Whack it on the telly. Drag the family along for the ride, too. :D

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.