Running Ethernet through the house

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
fft100
Professional
Professional

Running Ethernet through the house

Post by fft100 »

Hi,

I have 3BB fibre, but even with extenders their are a number of deadish spots, or where the internet is unstable. I also suspect that conflicts are ocurring on the 2.4ghz band and the distances are too great for 5ghz to work using repeaters.

What i would like to do is introduce mesh. To be precise, a tp-link Deco mesh system. This cant create a mesh with the 3bb router, so the first deco node will be wired to the 3bb router and set up as an access point. I will then disable the wifi in the 3bb router to reduce contention/conflicts.

Because of the size and thickness of the walls/floor it is going to be a lot better to go up a floor using an ethernet cable (cat 5e or cat 6) and then plug that into deco unit no 2 which will be upstairs. This probably wont be trivial given the topography. It will need to kept well away from all the power cables running from the main consumer box .

I think the above is so far so good. I could then scatter more deco boxes around upstairs and that should be fine. But what i have thought would be better is removing the tv sockets in most of the rooms and replacing them with ethernet sockets and also replacing the tv cable that should exist from the socket into the loft space with ethernet cable (cat 5e or cat 6), and then running the ethernet cables over to a switch next to deco unit no 2.

Does the above sound reasonable ? And, if so, does anyone know anyone who can do the actual installation work - including a bit of electrical work putting in a new plug for deco unit no 2.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Running Ethernet through the house

Post by HHTel »

That seems to be a big project.
I have 3BB fibre. My house is 5 bedrooms on 2 floors. I have one extender plugged in on at the top of the stairs. All my walls, both internal and external are double skin.
I'm running 5G on my laptop and it along with the various phones work fine everywhere in the house as well as at the main gate which is probably around 70 metres from the house.