Plan to send out 1,000 mobile grocery vans

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Plan to send out 1,000 mobile grocery vans

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not sure how this one will work.........

The Cabinet has approved the plan to send out 1,000 mobile grocery vans to sell products at discounts of 20-40%. The vans will be sent out to communities and villages nationwide. This project aims to help the public with daily expenses and to stimulate household consumption across the country, as well as decreasing unnecessary travel to lower the chance of getting an infection. The prices of the products in these mobile grocery vans will be 20-40% cheaper than the market price.
Grocery.png
Grocery.png (356.66 KiB) Viewed 684 times
1,000 vans to reach 66M people across 513,120 km². My career anchor was logistics (sorry DM) - replenishment of 1,000 vans will probably need at least 2,000 more.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Plan to send out 1,000 mobile grocery vans

Post by buksida »

Lemme guess ... CP owns the fleet. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Lemme guess that Best By and Use By dates will take a leading role in this discount price production.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Lemme guess that Best By and Use By dates will take a leading role in this discount price production.
Will it be for Thais only? :tsk:
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:04 am Will it be for Thais only? :tsk:
Do foreigners with 40k or 65k a month income need assistance ? :duck:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It makes no sense at all. It must be being done in conjunction with big business. Save the cost of the fleet of vans and give the people the money weekly or monthly instead.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

KhunLA wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:23 pm
It's not so much a need for assistance, it will become a dual pricing issue again. If a loaf of bread costs a foreigner 100฿ and a Thai can buy it for 60฿, be sure the dual pricing brigade will cry foul.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Maybe pink ID card holders can get discounted bread ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

KhunLA wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:23 pm
Some may, If they have 2 or 3 children that is not a lot of money.

The prism of our own lives is a very small window through which to view the world.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

I guess some folks don't understand the concept of 'family planning'. If only 40k a month, may want stick with 1 kid, maybe 2, if not using private schools. Not much of a planned retirement if living month to month. :shock: Oh well
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

KhunLA wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:42 pm I guess some folks don't understand the concept of 'family planning'. If only 40k a month, may want stick with 1 kid, maybe 2, if not using private schools. Not much of a planned retirement if living month to month. :shock: Oh well
There you go again, projecting your own values and life upon others.

Ok, let's say that 15 yrs. ago 40,000 was enough to support 2 or 3 children and your crystal ball had been stolen by a "golden child" (see Thai mythology) so you couldn't know the future cost of living would severely curtail your ability to support your family comfortably and and now here you are struggling to maintain a decent standard of living and being able to buy food and sundries at a lower than market price would help. Oh, the children don't go to private schools and you have a motorbike instead of a car. But that's ok, you can be right and smug.
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:51 pm The prism of our own lives is a very small window through which to view the world.
I like that thought, but I think we're straying from the topic here. It would make a good subject for a new thread though, there are clearly some strong opinions here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:10 am
handdrummer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:51 pm The prism of our own lives is a very small window through which to view the world.
I like that thought, but I think we're straying from the topic here. It would make a good subject for a new thread though, there are clearly some strong opinions here.
I can agree with that. Excalibur!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Excelsior?
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:49 am But that's ok, you can be right and smug.
I don't know about smug, but what is so hard with living on 40k baht a month. Nobody with that income should need assistance, unless an oops along the way dealt them a bad hand.

My monthly expenses are less than 40k, and I'm a bit frivolous (camera gear, drones w/ out & abouts) with our spending. On a marriage visa, though have monthly income for a ret. visa, but pension is not able to dd in Thai bank. Even having 800k a month, we (wife & I), live on about 30k a month. The kid, just graduated Uni, was going through about 30+k a month, in Krung Thep @ Thammasat Uni. We'll probably still support her for another year, as she took my advice, and passed on being an 'employee', and started her own business.

We rent 6k a month, but building now, and have new MG ZS, both from saving. If renting & scooter with sidecar, then that would be fine also. Dine mostly in, by choice, and have more than enough left over every month.

Who doesn't plan for inflation, as when I got here, I lived on 15k a month. Moving to a 3rd world country, under military junta, then yea, a bit of risk involved, but any research prior to, would help in an educated guess if for you to do. Retirement & family planning, isn't really rocket science. Just ignored by some.

If you can't live here on 40k a month, even with 2 kids, you got some major vices you're supporting. Your income isn't the problem, your spending is. Many Thais do it on much less.
Last edited by KhunLA on Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.