The Shaving Thread

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Re: The Shaving Thread

Post by Jack_Batty »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:13 pm Aftershave lotion/balm. Can anyone help a fella out? I have sensitive skin, especially after my razor is on its third or fourth pass across my mug. In the US I could easily buy aftershave balm at any store that sold shaving cream and razors, but I’m not seeing it available in the local stores here, i.e. Big C, Lotus, 7-11, etc. Maybe it is somewhere on the shelf and its unfamiliar packaging is camouflaging. I see that it is available to order via Lazada, and I’ll go that route if I have to. But, do any of you guys know where I can just pop in and grab some off a shelf around here? Thanks in advance.
I don’t know, but if you’re passing one of the Boots stores, you could try there. Hopefully someone will be more specific!!
I ended up buying a splash. I wanted lotion, but it was the only thing I could find.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I ended up buying a splash. I wanted lotion, but it was the only thing I could find.
I use this, much better than an aftershave:

https://www.cosmenet.in.th/product/1323 ... loe-soothe

I buy it at BigC Supermarket
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Nereus wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:18 pm
I use this, much better than an aftershave:

https://www.cosmenet.in.th/product/1323 ... loe-soothe

I buy it at BigC Supermarket
That’s actually a good idea. I do use a daily moisturizer on my face and arms, but it isn’t aloe-based. I’ll buy a bottle when I run out of my current lotion.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Boots sells a balm, it's called Freahwood aftershave Balm. It's a white cream in a bottle. There's no scent and it takes very little to cover your whole face and neck. Soothing and pleasant & inexpensive.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:22 pm Boots sells a balm, it's called Freahwood aftershave Balm. It's a white cream in a bottle. There's no scent and it takes very little to cover your whole face and neck. Soothing and pleasant & inexpensive.
I went to the Boots at Market Village and they only had some liquid stuff in a clear bottle. I didn’t catch the name. At that point I was only looking for some lotion or gel, like Gillette and Nivea has. I ended up finding a bottle of something from Gillette at Lotus. I got it because of the name recognition, even though it was a liquid. I will check into Freahwood at other Boots locations.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Typo. should of written FRESHWOOD. If the liquid was white that was probably it. It's a lotion.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:Boots sells a balm, it's called Freahwood aftershave Balm. It's a white cream in a bottle. There's no scent and it takes very little to cover your whole face and neck. Soothing and pleasant & inexpensive.
I disagree that Freshwood has no scent

I bought it a few years ago on your recommendation (when I was looking for nivea balm) but I didn't like the smell

That's not to say I don't appreciate the tip, I'm all for swapping ideas on shaving matters...

It just wasn't for me that's all

Ps incidentally I can get the Nivea stuff I wanted via lazada(or i herb) but I just refuse to pay the extortionate price versus what I used to pay in the UK! Haha

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:36 pm
handdrummer wrote:Boots sells a balm, it's called Freahwood aftershave Balm. It's a white cream in a bottle. There's no scent and it takes very little to cover your whole face and neck. Soothing and pleasant & inexpensive.
I disagree that Freshwood has no scent

I bought it a few years ago on your recommendation (when I was looking for nivea balm) but I didn't like the smell

That's not to say I don't appreciate the tip, I'm all for swapping ideas on shaving matters...

It just wasn't for me that's all

Ps incidentally I can get the Nivea stuff I wanted via lazada(or i herb) but I just refuse to pay the extortionate price versus what I used to pay in the UK! Haha

Perhaps my sniffer has lost some of its discernment.

I just had a sniff and could detect a slight smell. Nothing to annoy me though and I don't care for scents.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I bought another two Shavy razors the other day

I'm really quite happy with them although I don't get quite as many shaves as Monsieur Joelle! He gets 24 but I think I get about 18.

Only issue I have is that it doesn't get those annoying under the nose hairs so I have to use another razor for that part!

Just need to find an equivalent bargain shaving gel/foam now!

I spent 330 baht on some gillette stuff (fusion pro glide + 195 g) I must have had a weak moment!

buksida

Post by buksida »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:58 am Just need to find an equivalent bargain shaving gel/foam now!
Look for Barbasol - does exactly the same as Gillette foam, but half the price.

barba.jpg
barba.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:16 am
thecolonel wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:58 am Just need to find an equivalent bargain shaving gel/foam now!

barba.jpg
I buy Barbasol at Villa.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

barba.jpg
Gilette and Barbasol same price, Barbasol has a little more foam, but not handy.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

europtimiste wrote:

barba.jpg
Gilette and Barbasol same price, Barbasol has a little more foam, but not handy.
Not 'handy' ???

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

europtimiste wrote:

barba.jpg
I know I said gel/foam but actually I'm a gel guy for 20+ years now so would prefer gel

I might give Barbasol foam a go next time, after my new expensive gel has run out!

I say expensive, because it's around 3 times what I'd pay in Tesco UK for an almost identical Gillette gel

However it's actually same price per gram as what I've been paying for 6/9 months in 7 11.

They have a small 70g Gillette Series gel(green top). Perfectly good stuff for 120 baht.(Previously it was on special at 99 baht for about a year, wished I'd known I'd have stocked up on it). It's just that now I'm not getting the usual discount for buying a much bigger size(330 baht for 195g)

Btw that Barbasol is in Tesco Lotus in MV, I'll try to remember to price check in both Villa and TLMV(surely the latter must be cheaper??)

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You can buy it from Lazada at 249 Baht but there’s another 32 baht for delivery
Attachments
A712A294-0505-490F-BE6C-50581B110E36.jpeg
(206.09 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times