The Shaving Thread

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Shaving in Thailand

Post by joelle »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm
Big Boy wrote:It costs an arm and a leg every time I have to replenish, but my only go-to razor is the Gillette Fusion 5. It leaves my face smooth as a baby's bum, and actually works out cheaper than many alternatives because blades easily last 3 months.

I've tried the alternatives, but always come back to to the Fusion 5. Beware, Shopee has some realistic looking alternatives, but they will strip your face of skin.

In normal times I ask friends to bring them from the UK, because savings are considerable.
*I've just seen there was already a Shaving thread ImageAnd a very useful one too! My bad*

That would be my first choice 'money no object' choice too. As you say expensive but very durable and long lasting

I used the Fusion(not 5) for years in UK and brought lots with me over 2+ yrs ago but they've long since run out. And if my son ever comes to visit his suitcase will be full of them!

I've tried cheaper alternatives here and some of them are quite decent, but as you say they last about 5 shaves!

Gillette vector was poor

Gillette?? Blue colour plastic disposable shaves well but for 5/6 shaves only

Might try a Mach 2/3

Where do you buy Fusion 5? Makro? How much incl how many blades?

Thanks

Ps will check out Shavy in Tesco

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk
My husband find Shavy brilliant, has been using it ever since HHTel mentioned it, gets 24 very smooth shaves with one razor and by shaving every other day
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: The Shaving Thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

I use either Gillette Mach 3 or Wilkinson Sword Xtreme 3 which I either buy when I’m in the UK or get visitors to bring out for me. I only shave every other day so a blade will normally last at least two months, so a couple of packs of four will last a year or more, so I normally have a couple of years in reserve.

I’ve also tried the old fashioned safety razor with “Feather” razor blades bought in the UK, but I’ve found that the blades will only last one month. Although the unit cost of these are cheaper, in terms of blade cost per month I reckon the best value is Wilkinson Sword. In terms of performance I’d give Gillette Mach 3 a slight edge - not tried the Fusion 5 so can’t comment on them.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

joelle wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm
Big Boy wrote:It costs an arm and a leg every time I have to replenish, but my only go-to razor is the Gillette Fusion 5. It leaves my face smooth as a baby's bum, and actually works out cheaper than many alternatives because blades easily last 3 months.

I've tried the alternatives, but always come back to to the Fusion 5. Beware, Shopee has some realistic looking alternatives, but they will strip your face of skin.

In normal times I ask friends to bring them from the UK, because savings are considerable.
*I've just seen there was already a Shaving thread ImageAnd a very useful one too! My bad*

That would be my first choice 'money no object' choice too. As you say expensive but very durable and long lasting

I used the Fusion(not 5) for years in UK and brought lots with me over 2+ yrs ago but they've long since run out. And if my son ever comes to visit his suitcase will be full of them!

I've tried cheaper alternatives here and some of them are quite decent, but as you say they last about 5 shaves!

Gillette vector was poor

Might try a Mach 2/3

Thanks

My husband find Shavy brilliant, has been using it ever since HHTel mentioned it, gets 24 very smooth shaves with one razor and by shaving every other day
In Tesco Joelle? Thanks

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just to back up Joelle's husbands 'review'. I've been using Shavy 6 blade for a very long time now and have no complaints. Very cheap and gives an excellent shave and lasts a good time.

I don't see the point of paying big money for Gillette Fusion, Gillette Mach 3 etc etc. I'm sure nobody would ever make the remark "Hey! Look at that guy. He must shave with a Mach 3" ..... lol
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:Just to back up Joelle's husbands 'review'. I've been using Shavy 6 blade for a very long time now and have no complaints. Very cheap and gives an excellent shave and lasts a good time.

I don't see the point of paying big money for Gillette Fusion, Gillette Mach 3 etc etc. I'm sure nobody would ever make the remark "Hey! Look at that guy. He must shave with a Mach 3" ..... lol
In Tesco MV 105 baht for 2 razors

Fusion 5 399 icl 1 blade

Fusion blades 599 for 4 so 150/blade

So F5 total =1000 (5 blades)

Wondering if 1000 baht of fusion 5 might last a year(every other day shave)

Will give Shavy a go first Image

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:42 pm Just to back up Joelle's husbands 'review'. I've been using Shavy 6 blade for a very long time now and have no complaints. Very cheap and gives an excellent shave and lasts a good time.

:thumb: :agree: :cheers: :thumb:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm
joelle wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm *I've just seen there was already a Shaving thread ImageAnd a very useful one too! My bad*

Gillette vector was poor

Might try a Mach 2/3

Thanks

In Tesco Joelle? Thanks

Sorry just saw your post and the answer is yes, but I see you found it
Let us know your verdict :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's no so much the money, or anybody else noticing. I notice the difference, and still feel unshaven with anything else.

Apart from that, my brother gets them heavily discounted in the UK, and I pay <£8 for 20 blades under normal conditions.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

"and I pay <£8 for 20 blades under normal conditions"

Holy Moly, that's an astonishingly low low price, where does he work .. Gillette?!! LoL

Deal of the Century, that's an 88% discount to Thai Tesco price.

A quick look on Tesco uk website say £11 for 4 (495 baht, so the Thai Tesco price of 599 whilst higher is not at a 'crazy' premium IMO)

No wonder you use the Rolls Royce of razors, so would I in your shoes!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Just had my second shave with Shavy!

Yes, quite happy with the end result.

Felt very different but most razors do.
This one felt like it dragged, pulled and scraped a bit compared to say a Fusion. But there's 6 blades at work so maybe it's that.

Certainly wouldn't describe it as a smooth shaving experience but the end result is smooth and very acceptable!

I'm happy to continue and see how many shaves I get from each one(pack of 2) and how they perform toward the end.

Apparently 'Monsieur' Joelle gets 24 shaves (a figure which is rather precis Joelle if you don't mind me saying) per blade, so that's just over 2 baht a shave..... bargain!

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:05 pm Just had my second shave with Shavy!

Yes, quite happy with the end result.

Felt very different but most razors do.
This one felt like it dragged, pulled and scraped a bit compared to say a Fusion. But there's 6 blades at work so maybe it's that.

Certainly wouldn't describe it as a smooth shaving experience but the end result is smooth and very acceptable!

I'm happy to continue and see how many shaves I get from each one(pack of 2) and how they perform toward the end.

Apparently 'Monsieur' Joelle gets 24 shaves (a figure which is rather precis Joelle if you don't mind me sayingImage) per blade, so that's just over 2 baht a shave..... bargain!

:thumb: and to add another positive point he's never cut himself with this razor, unlike many others expensive and less expensive he used previously
:cheers:
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Nothing like a good cut throat shave anybody in HuaHin would make a bomb have a great one in Bangkok .
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Aftershave lotion/balm. Can anyone help a fella out? I have sensitive skin, especially after my razor is on its third or fourth pass across my mug. In the US I could easily buy aftershave balm at any store that sold shaving cream and razors, but I’m not seeing it available in the local stores here, i.e. Big C, Lotus, 7-11, etc. Maybe it is somewhere on the shelf and its unfamiliar packaging is camouflaging. I see that it is available to order via Lazada, and I’ll go that route if I have to. But, do any of you guys know where I can just pop in and grab some off a shelf around here? Thanks in advance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:13 pm Aftershave lotion/balm. Can anyone help a fella out? I have sensitive skin, especially after my razor is on its third or fourth pass across my mug. In the US I could easily buy aftershave balm at any store that sold shaving cream and razors, but I’m not seeing it available in the local stores here, i.e. Big C, Lotus, 7-11, etc. Maybe it is somewhere on the shelf and its unfamiliar packaging is camouflaging. I see that it is available to order via Lazada, and I’ll go that route if I have to. But, do any of you guys know where I can just pop in and grab some off a shelf around here? Thanks in advance.
I don’t know, but if you’re passing one of the Boots stores, you could try there. Hopefully someone will be more specific!!