New Year Holiday Road Accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

New Year Holiday Road Accidents

Post by PeteC »

It looks like they're going to publish these stats once again this year.

New Year holiday starts with 39 road deaths, 362 injured

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... 62-injured

Traffic accidents caused 39 deaths, with 362 other people injured, on Wednesday, the start of the New Year holiday road safety campaign.

phpLVZSZWAM.jpg
phpLVZSZWAM.jpg (3.82 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Alternative facts: :shock: https://www.thairsc.com/

Boontham Lertsukekasem, director-general of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, said on Thursday that the toll resulted from 362 road accidents.

The most common causes were speeding (34.6% of all accidents) and drink-driving (23.80%), with motorcycles involved in 81.3% of the accidents, he said.

Ratchaburi province recorded the most accidents, 13, Nakhon Ratchasima had the highest death toll, 5, and Loei reported the most injured people, 14.

At 1,875 checkpoints, 62,932 people were ticketed for traffic violations - including 18,142 motorcyclists for not wearing a crash helmet, 7,939 for failing to fasten vehicle seat belts and 5,007 for unsafe motorcycles.

Mr Boontham said the New Year exodus of workers heading to home provinces started on Wednesday, with traffic heavy on main highways, inter-regional routes and bypasses.

Witthawan Soonthornkhajit, director-general of the Probation Department, said that on Wednesday courts ordered probation in 142 cases of driving under the influence of drugs, 108 drink-driving cases and five for reckless driving.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: 2022 New Year Holiday Road Accidents

Post by Dannie Boy »

I noticed that they’ve done their customary closure of every other u-turn on Phetkasem road - this is one of my pet hates as I’m sure it increases the risk of accidents rather than reducing them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:48 pm It looks like they're going to publish these stats once again this year.

Yes, I saw that earlier, and thought what rubbish. The RSC recorded yesterday's deaths as 70, and 3,427 injured. I am inclined to believe the RSC.

https://www.thairsc.com/
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:I noticed that they’ve done their customary closure of every other u-turn on Phetkasem road - this is one of my pet hates as I’m sure it increases the risk of accidents rather than reducing them!!

Obvious really. It means longer queues at what u-turns are open, which means more impatient drivers who can't wait to cause an accident.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:
PeteC wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:48 pm It looks like they're going to publish these stats once again this year.

Yes, I saw that earlier, and thought what rubbish. The RSC recorded yesterday's deaths as 70, and 3,427 injured. I am inclined to believe the RSC.

https://www.thairsc.com/
Already 48 deaths today!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There has to be a reason why the numbers are different. "Boontham Lertsukekasem, director-general of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation" is not going to release information to the Bangkok Post that is wrong and cannot be verified, as he would very quickly be challenged.

For the purpose of this yearly exercise I'm going to stick with the printed story and numbers that they give. I would think their chart should be coming as well soon as part of their articles.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it is way out. Think about it, only 362 injured throughout the whole of Thailand in an entire day just sounds impossible.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think very possible that it's a verification issue before the "Disaster Mitigators" accept it? I don't know, just guessing. I can't find any credentials for this RSC outfit as all in Thai and I'm not going to wade through looking to see who they are and how their numbers are arrived at. Let's see if things are closer in future installments.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Either way stocked the shelves, bar, closing the gates and putting the pit bulls outside until holiday is gone! You won't see migrant on the road (unless mrs migrant makes me).
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I plugged the RSC chart into the OP for comparison.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:04 pm
Dannie Boy wrote:I noticed that they’ve done their customary closure of every other u-turn on Phetkasem road - this is one of my pet hates as I’m sure it increases the risk of accidents rather than reducing them!!

Obvious really. It means longer queues at what u-turns are open, which means more impatient drivers who can't wait to cause an accident.
Obvious to you and me and no doubt most farangs but the Thai authorities insist on doing it - they don’t seem to have a clue about road safety (and many other things I guess) - rant over!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Despite the following, Bangkok right now looks like it did under curfew. So look forward to the usual new year high road toll.

Poll: Most people plan to stay home for New Year

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... r-new-year

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... 62-injured

Northeast-bound traffic builds up on the Mitraphap Highway in Sikhiu district of Nakhon Ratchasima province, the gateway to the Northeast, on Thursday.
c1_2239967.jpg
(170.28 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Thai RSC numbers for Thursday, to be compared to whatever numbers the Government puts out later today. That story and data/chart will be inserted into this post.

php7oSJkJPM.jpg
php7oSJkJPM.jpg (3.73 KiB) Viewed 587 times

New Year road toll reaches 85, most in Korat

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... t-in-korat

Traffic accidents on the first two days of the government's seven-day New Year road safety campaign claimed 85 lives and left 786 others injured, with Nakhon Ratchasima recording the highest death toll.

Nirat Pongsitthithaworn, deputy permanent secretary at the Interior Ministry, said on Friday that on Wednesday and Thursday there were 784 traffic accidents which killed 85 and injured 786.

Chiang Mai recorded the highest accidents at 31, Nakhon Ratchasima had the most deaths at seven and Loei reported the highest number of injured people at 32. Of 77 provinces, 46 remained free of traffic accident fatalities.

The most common cause of traffic accidents was speeding (33.7% of all accidents), followed by drink-driving (26.3%) and poor visibility (17.8%). Motorcycles were involved in 83.1% of all the accidents.

On Thursday, there were 422 traffic accidents, 44 fatalities and 426 injured people. Speeding was the most common cause leading to 33.2% of the accidents, followed by drink-driving (29.6%) and poor visibility (16.4%). Motorcycles were involved in 82.7% of the total accidents.

phpF2Acj1PM.jpg
phpF2Acj1PM.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Chiang Mai had the most accidents at 21 and the highest number of injured people, 19. Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Roi Et reported the most fatalities at three each.

At 1,911 checkpoints, 46,796 people faced legal action for violating traffic rules, including 14,484 who did not wear a crash helmet and 11,866 who drove without driving licences.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see the day 2 figures are ridiculously low again, with about 7 deaths/injuries per province. Methinks a propaganda exercise to make Thailand look good. The RSC figure of almost 60 deaths/injuries per province sounds more feasible.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Will Thialandia go for the record this year, will the yearly totals rival Covid?
It could be a replacement for football because everyone has the opportunity to compete as well as spectate.
You don't have to have a vaccination or a test to enter the contest.
Democracy in action and the return of happiness to the sheeple.