Lake View golf course rating

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Re: Lake View golf course rating

Post by HarryVardon »

The Course- & Slope Ratings of almost every course in the world are highly disputed amongst members and the people who play them. The rules for calculation are extremely complicated and are contained in a very, very thick book which is only available to certain people within the golf community and certainly not available on internet. The length of a course is only a very small factor in deciding these ratings. The current calculations are based on thousands and thousands of hours work by hundreds of people. If someone thinks they know better and can do a better job then please apply to the R&A, USGA and the many other world golf organizations who may be able to use their enormous talent and know-how.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HarryVardon wrote:The Course- & Slope Ratings of almost every course in the world are highly disputed amongst members and the people who play them. The rules for calculation are extremely complicated and are contained in a very, very thick book which is only available to certain people within the golf community and certainly not available on internet. The length of a course is only a very small factor in deciding these ratings. The current calculations are based on thousands and thousands of hours work by hundreds of people. If someone thinks they know better and can do a better job then please apply to the R&A, USGA and the many other world golf organizations who may be able to use their enormous talent and know-how.
Firstly whilst i think SPR white is a low Course rating i should stress
that i think the True Handicap rating is too high ( ie not 'True' at all!!)

Anyone who has studied Course Ratings(CR)and Slope ratings(SR) will tell you that, whilst there are many factors involved, the most significant factor is length. This is so obvious to see when studying the ratings versus length

As you seem to object to my remarks and defend the True Handicap ratings then...

Does it not even occur to you that the True Handicap CR for Lake View
Yellow(6621 yards) is precisely the same as Lake View White(6195 yards)?

Does that not strike you as odd?

In looking at well over 50 cases of courses i know(and almost in all
cases played)i have NEVER once seen the same CR for a different length
set of tees yet alone ones that differ by over 420 yards(ie the length
of another par 4)

Or the fact that they are both exactly 72.0(that's also very rare as its
based on an average of a group of numbers- average best 50%, so very
unlikely to be an exact number, as almost all are not).

Or the fact that the Springfield ratings are Official Thai Golf
Association ratings but the Lake View courses have never been officially
rated. They are just estimated. Does that not make you question the
alarming difference ?

Finally, what you're suggesting is that Springfield Blue tees at 6695
yds is easier for the Scratch golfer(CR 71.6) than LV White at 6195 yards(CR 72.0).
When there's a difference of fully five hundred yards. That's like having to play 19 holes, ie
an extra par 5 but being expected to shoot a lower score!

When both courses are very similar in topography, wind, grasses, bunkering, water hazards etc

What utter nonsense!

There is an obvious error in the True Handicap recent update and one day
it will be corrected.

Pity you can't see that.

And yes I will be contacting them

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I do not agree or disagree with the TrueHandicap ratings. I accept them because they are much more realistic than they used to be. TrueHandicap says it has received the new ratings from a golf group that regularly plays there (I've no idea who). Unless Lake View invests in proper measurements and ratings for the courses we are never going to see "true" ratings. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the current ratings and do not pretend to have the knowledge to state whether I think they are right or wrong. If anyone thinks they do have the knowledge and experience of rating courses then please get in touch with either Lake View or TrueHandicap. I have only reported what the TrueHandicap ratings are. At no stage have I ever said that I agree or disagree with them. I can only say that the current ratings are better than no ratings at all which is the current real situation.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HarryVardon wrote:I do not agree or disagree with the TrueHandicap ratings. I accept them because they are much more realistic than they used to be. TrueHandicap says it has received the new ratings from a golf group that regularly plays there (I've no idea who). Unless Lake View invests in proper measurements and ratings for the courses we are never going to see "true" ratings. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the current ratings and do not pretend to have the knowledge to state whether I think they are right or wrong. If anyone thinks they do have the knowledge and experience of rating courses then please get in touch with either Lake View or TrueHandicap. I have only reported what the TrueHandicap ratings are. At no stage have I ever said that I agree or disagree with them. I can only say that the current ratings are better than no ratings at all which is the current real situation.
Ok noted. Fair enough

Ps I forgot to mention above that....for the AB White CR, that includes a very short/easy par 5(12) which on most days would be driver + wedge for a scratch player. In fact, driver would probably be too much club at times(water hazard beyond the fairway).

Dont get me wrong, I like that hole as it makes you think about clubbing which many par 5s don't.

Also i can say that if every course in Hua Hin was in very good condition, then I would choose to play Lake View AB almost every time. I just really like the holes.

I will contact True Handicap and let you know their reply.

Thanks

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

So Colonel - did True Handicap reply or are you still waiting?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.