Tiltrotor Helicopter in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Tiltrotor Helicopter in Hua Hin

Post by Nereus »

Anybody see a Tiltrotor aircraft this morning? (08-02-22)

Around 10-30 am just after leaving Hua Hin heading to Bangkok I could see an aircraft flying low down heading for the coast, but I could not make out what it was as too far away.

Then, just past Thaiwatsudu the bloody thing went hurtling past at about 500 feet heading west! As far as I am aware Thailand military do not own any, and the last ones of any note seen here was in 2013 Cobra Gold.

I think that there is a "mini" Cobra Gold this year, so maybe some lost US pilots looking for Pattaya!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Tiltrotor Helicopter

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:Anybody see a Tiltrotor aircraft this morning? (08-02-22)

Around 10-30 am just after leaving Hua Hin heading to Bangkok I could see an aircraft flying low down heading for the coast, but I could not make out what it was as too far away.

Then, just past Thaiwatsudu the bloody thing went hurtling past at about 500 feet heading west! As far as I am aware Thailand military do not own any, and the last ones of any note seen here was in 2013 Cobra Gold.

I think that there is a "mini" Cobra Gold this year, so maybe some lost US pilots looking for Pattaya!
Not this morning but yesterday and either one or two days before - it was quite low so I assumed it was heading for HH airport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: Tiltrotor Helicopter in Hua Hin

Post by bigston »

yesterday and day before, came in from the south west just shy of pak nam pran
flew right over the top of us
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It has to be a military machine, and as a matter of protocol they do not use civilian airports, unless under duress.
I could not see any markings on it, but then I was driving, and it shot past me like Putin may have chasing it!
It appeared from the west originaly, then returned going in that direction, nowhere near Hua Hin.
the cobra gold 2022 joint exercise will begin from february 20 to march 5, the 41st anniversary of the strengthening of thailand-u.s. relations for 200 years and is a close ally and multidimensional cooperation, including trade, economy, culture, security and military exercises. we are aware of the safety of the public and all parts involved. this year, 3,460 joint training forces have been deployed, two-thirds of the previous exercises.
https://thestandard.co/thai-usa-cobra-g ... statement/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

US aircraft coming in along the east coast to U-Tapao. Either off of a carrier in the gulf, or from Japan/Okinawa etc. The exercise starts on the 20th I think, so fits that equipment coming in now.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

bigston wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:54 pm yesterday and day before, came in from the south west just shy of pak nam pran
flew right over the top of us
Did you happen to notice any markings on it, bigston?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This year, the U.S. Air Force refrained from sending airstrikes to participate in the exercises. While the U.S. Army has 12 V22 Ospreys Black Hawks, the U.S. Navy sends maritime patrol vessels. USS.GREE BAY

https://www.thansettakij.com/general-news/512859
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What I've seen over here is what I used to call MAC aircraft (Military Airlift Command), but I think they are gone replaced by a new branch name. C17 Globemaster type which often brings things in here for exercises like this, and for resupplying the embassy. I haven't seen or heard any fighters, and they definitely make their presence known as compared to Thai Air Force fighter arrivals.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Nereus,
sorry to say i didn't take a lot of notice
i could sort of green / grey colour but i remember now, thats the colour of the food the mrs used to serve up...
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess it can be taken as Gospel that it was a US Military aircraft. I just cannot understand how these things are able to operate more or less as they please. There are no current Notams that I can find advising military operations in any area, but I suppose it is in keeping with everything else done here; nothing to do with the public, so mind your own business!
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

On Monday a Tiltrotor appeared at about 1400 and hovered above where the Police helicopters take off/land opposite my place (very near the 7-11 on the Phet. at Cha Am soi 54) It stayed put for about 20 minutes. Very loud considering it was 500m away! I was either light green or grey.

On Tuesday evening about 2100 more noise. Two helicopters (I assume Tiltrotors) took off from the same place.

All three headed south. No sign on the Flightradar website.

Also, several evenings a week a Thai Air Force Boeing 737 (or similar) Leaves HH and travels north west of BKK. It appear on FR.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

No sign on the Flightradar website.
Flightradar depends on a signal from aircraft equipment, currently ADS-B. Military aircraft may or may not be so equipped, and can also request that a position not be displayed if equipped.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Yes, I assume that military aircraft will keep their transponders switched off nearly all the time to remain anonymous...
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

It has returned to Cha Am soi 54 - Grey colour - currently has been hovering at about 100m for 10 minutes.

Unmissable if you happen to be passing by...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Chazz14 wrote:It has returned to Cha Am soi 54 - Grey colour - currently has been hovering at about 100m for 10 minutes.

Unmissable if you happen to be passing by...
I can hear it but it’s not close enough to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk