Thai Minimum Wage Increase

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Thai Minimum Wage Increase

Post by Big Boy »

I thought I read it had come into force about 2/3 weeks ago. Or was that just the ruling, with implementation later.

If that is the case. it was just a bit more political propaganda, with no real substance.

There seems to be a lot of we're doing this or doing that, but implementation is incredibly slow, if at all.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Probably happen at the same time as the digital wallet.

Or maybe when a real political diversion is needed.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:44 am I thought I read it had come into force about 2/3 weeks ago. Or was that just the ruling, with implementation later.

If that is the case. it was just a bit more political propaganda, with no real substance.

There seems to be a lot of we're doing this or doing that, but implementation is incredibly slow, if at all.
They’re now saying it might not happen until October!!
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... fore-oct-1
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the problem is somebody has to find this cash, and it won't be the Government's policy makers. We read every few days about Thailand's terrible debt situation, so where will this extra 40฿/day come from? Making headline grabbing policy is simple - executing it is the hard part. Not just in Thailand - ask any retired Civil Servant here. The clowns make the policy, and just walk away, taking the accolades, leaving the Civil Servants with the headaches.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:56 am We read every few days about Thailand's terrible debt situation, so where will this extra 40฿/day come from?
Tax 'em, tax 'em again, then tax 'em some more, something this govt appears pretty adept at.

Higher wages leads to increased costs for staff, services, labour, deliveries, products, food, etc, so nobody ends up any better off in the long run. More money in = more money out.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But the tax isn't paying the wage increases. That extra cash has to be found by the employer, which will be funded by higher prices. If Gov't policy wants a wage increase, they should be funding the difference, but they don't.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Fairplay, but more backing for the argument for price hikes across the board for everything and everyone to cover the increases while the govt hikes taxes. The majority will be worse off at the end of the month which means more debt.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the policies sound great, but are taking the country further and further into the red. Solution to borrow a lorry load of money and give everybody 10,000฿ doesn't seem to be the best answer.

Points 51; Position 21
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

California just mandated that all fast food workers get paid a minimum of $20/hour. Some places are closing, others looking into alternatives like self checkout, robots, etc.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Before anyone gets too upset by minimum wages, don't forget it's International Workers day! ( or Labour day, depending on where you are.)
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

migrant wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:38 am California just mandated that all fast food workers get paid a minimum of $20/hour. Some places are closing, others looking into alternatives like self checkout, robots, etc.
Just under £16 an hour. Looking at studio rentals (the most basic accommodation there is) in California, this affords fast food workers a much better lifestyle than one could find in London serving fast food full time. Comfortable accommodation and a little spending money with no need for benefits (knowing the demographic and rent, I'd imagine only the top 10-20% are living without any sort of tax paid benefits in London).

McDonald's gross profit in 2023 was $3.65 billion.
KFC gross profit in 2023 was $2.83 billion

Burger King, Wendy's etc all massive profits.

Personally, I don't see the problem in making them pay up. If they decide to go non-human, that's a greed problem not a salary problem.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Went off topic there, sorry. But it's all relevant to the cost of living in the area. :D
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.