Personalised Number Plates

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Personalised Number Plates

Post by Nereus »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:25 pm You can already get personalized number plates. I have seen an MV Augusta with a plate "some Thai text then 1"
I have them on my car, they were on it when I bought it off a hi-so.
But they are not what is being proposed here.
They have 2 Thai letters(characters?) followed by 4 numbers. The Thai seller had the same numbers on several of his cars, just different letters. They are also coloured and have what is supposed to represent the Bangkok skyline.
Nor sure what they cost, but whatever it was he did not want to pay to have them changed before selling the car.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I only have an old pick-up, but even when it was new, it cost a lot less than the starting price for these hi-so numbers. Total madness - a bit like Harry Enfield inviting people to look at the size of his wad.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:53 pm OK, I only have an old pick-up, but even when it was new, it cost a lot less than the starting price for these hi-so numbers. Total madness - a bit like Harry Enfield inviting people to look at the size of his wad.
Why do you care what other people spend their money on?
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^^ Amen. It that kinda sums up the silliness of this entire thread.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I guess we'll never stop fools and their money :?

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I had a personalised car plate in the UK back in 2002 - I can’t remember exactly how much I paid for it but it would have been about £500, so it represented just over 2% of the value of the car, so not exactly a fortune!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

£500 in the UK is peanuts compared to a starting price of ฿1M in Thailand. Yes, a little extravagant, but most definitely not obscene :D.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:27 am I had a personalised car plate in the UK back in 2002 - I can’t remember exactly how much I paid for it but it would have been about £500, so it represented just over 2% of the value of the car, so not exactly a fortune!!
I had them on a restored 1955 Mk1 Ford Zephyr Convertible in Australia. A lot of restored cars in Australia have them that show either the model or year. They may have cost around $100 AUD, I can't really remember, but as there was around $20,000 invested in the car, the cost was hardly noticeable.

There are strict laws on just what you can have written, but again, it is NOT the same as that being proposed here.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There was a personal number on a 2nd hand merc I bought some years ago. Nothing extra for the plate (LJR 69). Transferred it to a banger I had with a hooky MOT and got several thousand for a car that didn't go.

Result!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:There was a personal number on a 2nd hand merc I bought some years ago. Nothing extra for the plate (LJR 69). Transferred it to a banger I had with a hooky MOT and got several thousand for a car that didn't go.

Result!!
You always get more for a soixante neuf!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's exactly what I thought at the time. Eventually sold this wreck to a guy whose initials matched the plate as well. He probably thought the same as me ----- Result!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Lucky licence plate auctions to fetch B300m

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... etch-b300m

Proceeds of sales to high-rolling bidders will go to Road Safety Fund

The Department of Land Transport expects to earn at least 300 million baht from its auction of 82 auspiciously numbered vehicle registration plates, according to director-general Chirute Visalachitra.

The first round of auction sales of plates for personal cars on Thursday drew 287 bidders, while another 308 joined via its tabienrod.com website, Mr Chirute said on Friday.

It is the first time personal vehicle owners have been allowed to bid for special plates, with each comprising a mix of Thai letters, tone marks and numbers not exceeding seven characters.

The department originally planned to auction off 84 plates but was surprised that no one had put down a security deposit or registered a preference.

Then the system operating the auction crashed yesterday, meaning only 63 plates were sold. Another round for the remaining 19 has been set for April 22.

Characters in the top five mostly represented money and beauty. For example, “Ror Wor Yor” reads like ruai, which means to flaunt one’s wealth; “Sor Wor Yor” reads as suai, close to the word for beautiful; and another plate referenced the word sethi or millionaire.

The most expensive plate, “Ror Wor Yor 9999”, sold for 18.5 million baht. It was followed by “Sethi 1” (15.4 million), “Sor Wor Yor 1” (13 million), “Sethi 8” (12.6 million) and “Ror Wor Yor 8888” (11.1 million baht).

All 63 plates sold for 282 million baht. The other 19 may fetch 20-30 million baht, the department believes.

Proceeds from the sales will go to support the Road Safety Fund.

A woman bids on the Ror Wor Yor 9999 licence plate in an auction held by the Department of Land Transport on Thursday. It eventually sold for 18.5 million baht. (Photo: Chanat Katanyu)
A woman bids on the Ror Wor Yor 9999 licence plate in an auction held by the Department of Land Transport on Thursday. It eventually sold for 18.5 million baht. (Photo: Chanat Katanyu)
c1_2292442.jpg (209.91 KiB) Viewed 207 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Words fail me. Meanwhile the gap between the have's and have not's continues to grow.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Providing the money does indeed go towards road safety measures, I don’t see it as a bad thing. We know the world is full of injustices but these people are hardly likely to give their money to good causes, but at least this way, their vanity should do some good!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"Providing the money does indeed go towards road safety measures"

Hands up anyone who believes that!