Oscars

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Oscars

Post by Lost »

I never watch the annual narcissists patronising snooze fest anymore, but at least something interesting happened this year. Will Smith unhappy about a joke at his wife's expense. Not staged apparently.

Moments later he was back on stage collecting the best actor award for King Richard (excellent movie) 😁
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Oscars

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

It doesn't excuse what he did but it's worth noting that his wife's baldness (which was the target of jokes by Chris Rock before before Smith slapped him) is due to a medical condition, not some kind of fashion choice.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:26 am It doesn't excuse what he did but it's worth noting that his wife's baldness (which was the target of jokes by Chris Rock before before Smith slapped him) is due to a medical condition, not some kind of fashion choice.
Totally disagree Chris Rock made jokes about his wife who had alopecia. Some said that about anybody who has any disease is a cretin and deserves everything he gets. It is not humor.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:14 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:26 am It doesn't excuse what he did but it's worth noting that his wife's baldness (which was the target of jokes by Chris Rock before before Smith slapped him) is due to a medical condition, not some kind of fashion choice.
Totally disagree Chris Rock made jokes about his wife who had alopecia. Some said that about anybody who has any disease is a cretin and deserves everything he gets. It is not humor.
Rock said he did not know that Mrs. Smith had alopecia. The couple has for years been the butt of jokes about their open marriage. You may want to read what Karim Jabbar said about the incident.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

putin.jpg
putin.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 264 times
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I had to look up who or what Karim Jabbar is. So I have now seen what he has said. The usual piffle. I thought it was going to be something of value.

Or have I got the wrong person? :(

Talk is cheap
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:17 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:14 pm
Rock said he did not know that Mrs. Smith had alopecia. The couple has for years been the butt of jokes about their open marriage. You may want to read what Karim Jabbar said about the incident.
If he genuinely did not know he should have apologised, the man (a term used loosely) is a twunt. As for karim jabbar howw deep did you dig for that. The gossip about them is irrelevant.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

277081277_501779621555532_4894305751749116469_n.jpg
277081277_501779621555532_4894305751749116469_n.jpg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 243 times
YNWA
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:14 pm Totally disagree Chris Rock made jokes about his wife who had alopecia.
That's exactly the same thing that I said. You might like to read my post again. You're agreeing with me, not disagreeing.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Anyone else think it was staged?, like someone I know. Then again he is/was a Covid denier, Anti-vaxxing Trumper, Russia the saviour of Ukraine yada yada yada(yes I'm watching Seinfeld again).
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:37 pm Anyone else think it was staged?, like someone I know. Then again he is/was a Covid denier, Anti-vaxxing Trumper, Russia the saviour of Ukraine yada yada yada(yes I'm watching Seinfeld again).
I don't think it was staged, but worth noting Will Smith was initially laughing - shown on numerous clips. Mrs Smith's face however says it all.

Chris Rock is an obnoxious character quite frankly - Will Smith a decent actor at times. What I do find bizzare with the whole thing though is how some are perceiving/using this as a racial/sexist act! FFS, all 3 are black - 2 males and 1 woman, 1 male defending his wife...........
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

pharvey wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:34 pm1 male defending his wife...........
That is a sign of hegemonic masculinity apparently. Especially the way he went about it. Naughty man, he's obviously not aware it's not allowed anymore. Being a man, I mean. So passe' :D
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Will Smith has resigned from the academy following the assault of Chris Rock.

"I have directly responded to the Academy's disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate. Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason."

After this little drama, I'm guessing Will Smith won't be making any bald jokes anymore to the 1 in 3 males who are afflicted with life-threatening hair loss.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Wake me when it's over.