Cambodian tourism will be the “new Thailand”

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Re: Cambodian tourism will be the “new Thailand”

Post by buksida »

sateeb wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:42 pm If I was a newbie considering retirement I wouldn't hesitate to make the move there.

What is the long-term visa situation like? I'm guessing its still much easier than here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

buksida wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:50 pm
sateeb wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:42 pm If I was a newbie considering retirement I wouldn't hesitate to make the move there.

What is the long-term visa situation like? I'm guessing its still much easier than here.
Didn't dig that deep but from what I gathered from previous posts on this thread a yearly visa with no visits to Imm. Office or 90 day reports are available through approved agents + no financial requirement. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PGS

Post by PGS »

Any recommendation for a city in Cambodia with good opportunities for playing golf?
Would prefer it to be a city not to big, more like HH, walking distance to most attractions.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... vince.html

Didn't play any courses but I know that #2 on the list is a fantastic track.
Loved the vibe around Siem Reap and a visit to Angkor Wat is a must.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone been to more off-the-beaten-track places along the river like Kampong Chhnang, Kampong Cham, Kratie province, or Krong Stung Treng up on the Laos border?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I've been to Kratie and Stung Treng - both very interesting - there's not much going on in Kratie town, but the island (Koh Trong) in the Mekong there is worth a visit - no cars on the island, but moto taxis are available. Both Kratie and Stung Treng are home to the last 2 groups of the Mekong Irrawaddy dolphins still in existence and definitely worth going to see, as are the rapids in Stung Treng close the border with Lao. Lao is also spoken there predominantly on the Cambodian side. The drive from there to Preah Vihear is also very scenic, and if you haven't seen the Preah Vihear Temple (dating back to the 11th Century) on the border to Thailand, I would definitely recommend going, the setting is absolutely spectacular

Kampong Chhnang is also worth a visit, being close to the Tonle Sap with its floating village showing how the locals survive from inland fishing. Good place to take a boat tour and have a look round.

I've only every driven through Kampong Cham, so can't really say much about it. The main attraction used to be the long bamboo bridge but I think that's gone now.

If you have any more questions, ask away ...
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

While Thai authorities seek super-rich investors and retirees :? :roll:
hahuahin
buksida

Post by buksida »

barrys wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:33 pm I've been to Kratie and Stung Treng - both very interesting - there's not much going on in Kratie town, but the island (Koh Trong) in the Mekong there is worth a visit - no cars on the island, but moto taxis are available. Both Kratie and Stung Treng are home to the last 2 groups of the Mekong Irrawaddy dolphins still in existence and definitely worth going to see, as are the rapids in Stung Treng close the border with Lao. Lao is also spoken there predominantly on the Cambodian side. The drive from there to Preah Vihear is also very scenic, and if you haven't seen the Preah Vihear Temple (dating back to the 11th Century) on the border to Thailand, I would definitely recommend going, the setting is absolutely spectacular

Kampong Chhnang is also worth a visit, being close to the Tonle Sap with its floating village showing how the locals survive from inland fishing. Good place to take a boat tour and have a look round.

I've only every driven through Kampong Cham, so can't really say much about it. The main attraction used to be the long bamboo bridge but I think that's gone now.

If you have any more questions, ask away ...
Great info, just what I was looking for. A couple more questions:

Are the roads okay between Kampong Cham and Stung Treng near the Laos border? In other words, what is traveling times like between these towns? Can it be done on a bike?

Can you cross into Laos for a day trip to see the waterfalls (Si Phan Don) or are there plenty on the Khmer side?

How easy is it to get to Preah Vihear from Siem Reap? Day trip?

Thx again.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Sorry for the delayed reply:

The roads between the main towns are pretty good now as most of them have been built over the last 8 years or so.
Kampong Cham to Stung Treng should take a bit more than 4 hours
I imagine you could cross into Laos for the day, but you would then have to pay for a new tourist visa to come back into Cambodia because it's a single entry visa.

Not that knowledgeable about waterfalls, but there definitely are some - found this on Google: https://traveltriangle.com/blog/waterfalls-in-cambodia/

Preah Vihear town to Siem Reap takes over 3 hours - Preah Vihear Temple to Siem Reap is a good 4 hours.
Roads are good, also for bikes.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nice one, yeah the roads look pretty good, and travelling times between those Mekong towns aren't long according to Google Maps.

This was the waterfall I was thinking of, its actually all in Laos - https://goo.gl/maps/G84KbovSjSMNDnz37
However, according to Google Maps, you can ride there and view it from the Khmer side but I'll find out more once in Stung Treng.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Another question pls Barry. Do you know if it is possible to open a USD bank account in Cambodia without having an address there (yet)?

Also, I presume Thai debit cards will work in Cambodian ATMs? (otherwise its a bag of cash)
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

buksida wrote: [/color]er_id=8]
Another question pls Barry. Do you know if it is possible to open a USD bank account in Cambodia without having an address there (yet)?

Also, I presume Thai debit cards will work in Cambodian ATMs? (otherwise its a bag of cash)
K Bank ATM card worked for me in Siam Reap recently.

― George Carlin
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

sateeb wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:20 pm
buksida wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:50 pm

Didn't dig that deep but from what I gathered from previous posts on this thread a yearly visa with no visits to Imm. Office or 90 day reports are available through approved agents + no financial requirement. :cheers:
12 month visas are easy to get. You don't visit the immigration office - ever. All done by approved agents, no 90-day reports, no proof of income or financial assets, automatically multi-entry, registration of address via phone app
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:30 am Another question pls Barry. Do you know if it is possible to open a USD bank account in Cambodia without having an address there (yet)?

You need at least a 6-month visa and rental contract to open a bank account.

Yes, Thai debit cards do work here
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Could you let me know how much the 1 year visa cost through an agent ?