Premier League 2022-23

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: Premier League 2022-23

Post by PeteC »

Concerning Halland, unless there is some unforeseen catastrophe, Manchester City will run away with the league next season, with Liverpool a very distant second.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:56 am Concerning Halland, unless there is some unforeseen catastrophe, Manchester City will run away with the league next season...
They couldn't take a single point from Spurs last season, mind. Let's see if Haaland can make a difference for them. :wink:

It is exciting to have Haaland come play in the premier, though. Great for the league.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:56 am Concerning Halland, unless there is some unforeseen catastrophe, Manchester City will run away with the league next season, with Liverpool a very distant second.
I’d agree that it’s looking like a two-horse race again, but I doubt that the gap will be much more than it was last season - still we’ll know in 10-11 months time!!
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Hope these aren't famous last words but United and Arsenal seem to be sleeping this window. Much like the pre-Conte spurs. Two of the players we've signed already would have improved their squads. And the only competition we've had was a little from Chelsea for Perisic.

25 million for Bissouma may turn out to be an absolute steal. May. Having only a year left on his contract give us that price. He could have walked for free otherwise.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Lost wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 pmAnd the only competition we've had was a little from Chelsea for Perisic.
There was no competition from Chelsea. At the time, the club were barred from the transfer market, we couldnt even offer new contracts to the players we had.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:42 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 pmAnd the only competition we've had was a little from Chelsea for Perisic.
There was no competition from Chelsea. At the time, the club were barred from the transfer market, we couldnt even offer new contracts to the players we had.
I'll admit I may have been influenced by the media with my comment. Perhaps it was all unfounded clickbait, but there was a fair bit of talk linking him to Chelsea.

One example.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/13/chelsea- ... -16638717/

I stand corrected if it was all just rumours

:cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Lost wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:02 pmI stand corrected if it was all just rumours
Not a rumour, just not true. We couldn't sign anyone, or even offer new contracts to current players, even those whose contracts were about to expire. All we coulld do was retain players already under contract. The club was in effect, shut down, apart from playing. We were limited to the number of players that could travel, were not able to sell any home tickets that remained unsold, or even sell any replica kits. The megastore was shut down until the club was in new ownership.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:43 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:02 pmI stand corrected if it was all just rumours
Not a rumour, just not true. We couldn't sign anyone, or even offer new contracts to current players, even those whose contracts were about to expire. All we coulld do was retain players already under contract. The club was in effect, shut down, apart from playing. We were limited to the number of players that could travel, were not able to sell any home tickets that remained unsold, or even sell any replica kits. The megastore was shut down until the club was in new ownership.
*Sigh*

I miss those days, good times. :mrgreen:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Premier League fixtures: Your club-by-club guide to the 2022-23 season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61783101

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61795955

Champions Manchester City face West Ham away on the opening weekend of a 2022-23 Premier League campaign that will include a mid-season break for the World Cup in Qatar.

There will be no top-flight games after the weekend of 12-13 November until 26 December because of the World Cup.

The first fixture takes place on Friday, 5 August when Crystal Palace host Arsenal.

Liverpool play at promoted Fulham, with Nottingham Forest at Newcastle.

Forest are back in the Premier League for the first time since 1998-99.

The World Cup, which will feature both England and Wales, starts on 21 November. The final is on 18 December, eight days before the Premier League season resumes.

There are no meetings between the Premier League's so-called 'big six' on weekend of 12-13 November - the one before the World Cup - following a request by the Football Association.

England will meet up on 14 November before flying to Qatar the following day.

The festive season will see fixtures on 26 December, 31 December and 2 January.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

The £100 million megaflop is returning to inter for a season.

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

He must have taken a hell of a pay cut, as there is no way Inter could have afforded him otherwise. So, Sterling is the target now, according to the media. We are going to have a forward line of false 9's!
Talk is cheap
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Looks like City are getting Kalvin Phillips. Along with Haaland, they're doing pretty well this window.

Other interesting talk in the transfer window I'm aware of is of a possible move to Chelsea for Neymar (though no really reliable sources have confirmed this yet) and that spurs have not followed up on Eriksen after chatting to his agent, and that he's likely to be at either Brentford or United next season.

Oh, and João Félix to Spurs for a possible £80-100 million. :mrgreen:

:cheers:
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Also rumours, Lewandowski to Barca and Ronaldo to Bayern

YNWA

YNWA
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Good signing for Arsenal, this. Talk linking him to Spurs for a while but he wouldn't be offered a place in the starting line-up at Tottenham. He'd be an impact player off the bench (damn good one, too). But... he wants regular first-team football.

Instantly becomes Arsenal's best player.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Christ, what a load of b*ll*cks the above is - nothing compares to the news I hear that BB is moving to Spurs on a 20K (THB) per month contract inclusive of 10 pints of Guinness simply to overlook and select the Front Three!

Things are looking good for Spurs IMHO.... But Hey Ho - Liverpool will do it this time around :D :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.