Driving Hua Hin - Rayong return

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Driving Hua Hin - Rayong return

Post by Hahuahin »

Allow me to ask if anyone know if there have been any changes or upgrades the last 10 years, i.e. easier route to get through Bangkok when heading down to the East cost?
Thank you
hahuahin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Driving Hua Hin - Rayong return

Post by HHTel »

If you use google maps, they'll give you a route that bypasses BKK altogether. Same route to the airport then on from there expressway towards Pattaya then Rayong.

Did it a couple of years ago when I decided to go to Koh Samet.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Thanks for replying. I guess I better had asked how to avoid ending up stuck in Bangkok when destination is Rayong / Ban Chang. :? Many moons ago they was talking about making a road linked to the East cost with a bridge so people coming from the South could totally avoid Bangkok when heading down towards the East Cost but that have clearly not materialized.
hahuahin :|

https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/Hua+H ... 2408?hl=en
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hahuahin wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 am Thanks for replying. I guess I better had asked how to avoid ending up stuck in Bangkok when destination is Rayong / Ban Chang. :? Many moons ago they was talking about making a road linked to the East cost with a bridge so people coming from the South could totally avoid Bangkok when heading down towards the East Cost but that have clearly not materialized.
hahuahin :
As posted, you don’t need to go anywhere near Bangkok.

Rama 2 - hwy 35 from Hua Hin

Big interchange at Bang Khun Thian to hwy 9 east, just follow the airport signs.

Interchange at Prawet to hwy 7 east, follow the airport signs and go past it.

Stay on hwy 7 all the way to where it joins hwy 3. There is a big new extension to hwy 7 that takes you within spitting distance of Ban Chang, or the coast.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

On that same map, click the opposite direction icon, for return trip, and you see it using hwy 9, which by-passes downtown. Google picks the 'quickest' at the time searching, which can easily change enroute. Or you can adjust what roads to use yourself. Going to Rayong, may be a few minutes faster by suggested route, and switch it to hwy 9, may add only a few minutes, but makes for a more comfortable, possibly less congestion and stop & go driving.

I would definitely take hwy 9, unless the difference was more than 30 minutes. Simply less congested traffic, less chance of an out of town oops.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Hahuahin wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 am Thanks for replying. I guess I better had asked how to avoid ending up stuck in Bangkok when destination is Rayong / Ban Chang. :? Many moons ago they was talking about making a road linked to the East cost with a bridge so people coming from the South could totally avoid Bangkok when heading down towards the East Cost but that have clearly not materialized.
hahuahin :
That was cancelled way back in 2005 by the old king on concerns of the soft sea bed and the depth required by supports would release mercury into the gulf killing the wildlife. Another project that was never thought through.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Nereus wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:51 am
hahuahin :
As posted, you don’t need to go anywhere near Bangkok.

Rama 2 - hwy 35 from Hua Hin

Big interchange at Bang Khun Thian to hwy 9 east, just follow the airport signs.

Interchange at Prawet to hwy 7 east, follow the airport signs and go past it.

Stay on hwy 7 all the way to where it joins hwy 3. There is a big new extension to hwy 7 that takes you within spitting distance of Ban Chang, or the coast.
Great, will take a picture of this and keep in car.
Thank you
hahuahin
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

HHTel wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:01 pm
hahuahin :
That was cancelled way back in 2005 by the old king on concerns of the soft sea bed and the depth required by supports would release mercury into the gulf killing the wildlife. Another project that was never thought through.
That can fit in with last trip down there which I think was around that time.
hahuahin