Best long-term "unlimited" internet SIM deals

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Best long-term

Post by buksida »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm I’m new to all of this, but going down the AIS route as per the last details, does that require you to get a new number every time you renew?
Yes, its a throwaway SIM. You can top up the old one but it works out more expensive and cheaper to buy a new one. These are generally used for internet only in tandem with your existing number.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Best long-term "unlimited" internet SIM deals

Post by Dannie Boy »

For me it’s not much of a problem as I hardly ever make or receive calls, but for my wife, it’s a completely different story!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

That's why you keep the original number and use this as an "add-on" in your SIM2 slot!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:35 pm That's why you keep the original number and use this as an "add-on" in your SIM2 slot!
Pity I’m an iPhone fanatic - single SIM!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I use an AIS sim and one thing I find handy now is that you can manage the account via their app so if you're out of the country you can add credit with a credit card to keep the account active. The day before I head to Thailand I buy a 30 day Internet package and then I'm online straight on arrival.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Or, you could buy one of these packages, and for 124฿/month (paid annually) you're set for the whole year, and have unlimited 'decent speed' for all of that year. I have found it better than brilliant.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Has anybody tried buying one of these SIMs off the AIS web page? I tried, and couldn't get past page 3. My daughter-in-law who is normally switched on with online purchasing got a little further, but ended up calling the help desk, who weren't very helpful. Their suggestion was convert the current SIM to a monthly pay SIM. I seem to remember thecolonel getting conned with that one because it cost more.

Plan C is to go to the shop tomorrow to see if they can help. They normally enjoy any challenge that means they don't have to deal with bill payment :D

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know we have another thread about this, but it typifies Thai IT. AIS should be one of the more forward thinking users of technology.

I'm not stupid with IT, but nowhere near as good as I was maybe 20 years ago. My daughter-in-law is very switched on with most things. Neither of us could buy a product from their flagship, front-end web page. My DIL tried to purchase with the help of the AIS online help team - they couldn't do it either. What is the point of a pretty web page that is not fit for purpose i.e. it won't let you buy AIS products.

I guess the likes of Lazada and Shopee have got wind of this and are now selling the exact same items 1200฿ dearer.

Points 48; Position 20
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:55 pm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Has anybody tried buying one of these SIMs off the AIS web page? I tried, and couldn't get past page 3. My daughter-in-law who is normally switched on with online purchasing got a little further, but ended up calling the help desk, who weren't very helpful. Their suggestion was convert the current SIM to a monthly pay SIM. I seem to remember thecolonel getting conned with that one because it cost more.

Plan C is to go to the shop tomorrow to see if they can help. They normally enjoy any challenge that means they don't have to deal with bill payment :D
How would you get the actual sim card anyway if buying online from AIS ? Obviously if Shoppee or Lazada they will mail it but I doubt AIS would have that facility, and if they did you then need to go to the shop to activate it........... :laugh:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Last time it was mailed to me with a receipt from AIS. I had to take the SIM and the receipt to the AIS office, who installed/activated the SIM.

AIS will only sell this package online.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

We bought one of these on the top floor of Market Village, maybe they still have them there at the regular price.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They actually sold it over the counter? They wouldn't do that last year. As that's where I'm going to ask for help today, maybe you've just provided the ideal solution.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

They did a couple of years ago. The second year it came from Lazada, which is now not an option due to the price scammers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Update following AIS shop visit

My opening gambit was I want to buy 2 of these packages - pointing to the web page on my phone. She looked, and said sorry, out of stock.

Plan B - Can I order 2? No, sorry, only available from our online web page.

Plan C - Can you please show me how to order online because I'm too thick to make it work.? She took my phone, and I watched her going through the same initial steps both I and my DIL went through. She then hit the same brick wall, which gave me some satisfaction. After about 15 minutes, she made a phone call and advised it wasn't working because they were out of stock, and unlikely to replenish. Wow - what a brilliant web page that leads everybody on, but doesn't actually deliver.

Plan D - I didn't have a Plan D, so had to think on my feet. I tell her SIM 2 expires on 28 Sept, and ask what can I do? She says you can extend for one more year. Really? says I, how much? (remembering thecolonel had been asked for a lot). She looked it up on her tablet, and said 1800฿. This was just 10฿ more than a new SIM - result (I have the 15Mb version BTW, so a little more expensive). I'm a happy bunny.

Such a shame the package has been discontinued though.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good to know.

It must have been a very popular package which begs the question ... why discontinue it? (I'm not sure "stock" is the right word since they're selling bandwidth which is pretty much unlimited for Thailand's two telecoms monopolies).