Ratchaburi enables visitors to experience the lives of its early Chinese settlers

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Ratchaburi enables visitors to experience the lives of its early Chinese settlers

Post by PeteC »

Bib Boy's favourite place in Thailand. :duck:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/2308 ... rlds-apart (Many Photos)

The gentle winds cooled the summer heat as I sat on the bank of the Nakhon Chai Si River, taking in a beautiful view of the waterside hamlet and lush landscapes of the small town of Sam Phran in Nakhon Pathom province. It's only a 90-minute drive from the hustle and bustle of downtown Bangkok in order to breathe in some fresh air on the weekend.

Despite being concealed from the crowds of tourists, this vantage point provides a peaceful haven for worshippers who come to Wat Thampanyaram Bang Muang to pray and participate in traditional Chinese religious rituals. This temple is a mixture of Mahayana and Annam Nikaya beliefs.

In the past, this area was once home to Chinese immigrants who grew coconut, mango and other fruits as far as the eye could see. People and merchants travelled by boat and this place functioned as a stopover for those cruising from Maha Chai, Nakhon Chai Si and Mae Klong to sell their agricultural goods and seafood at Talat Tha Na.

When riding through the waves put them in peril, they built a holy Teochew-style shrine to house a local god and pray for protection and safe sailing between the reigns of King Rama IV and King Rama V. It has undergone several repairs and now houses an original wood carved statue of a local god in warrior costume stepping on a tiger and dragon to protect the neighbourhood and passers-by....

Continued at link.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Ratchaburi enables visitors to experience the lives of its early Chinese settlers

Post by Big Boy »

That confused me a lot. The headline says Ratchaburi, but the article starts 40 minutes away :D.
After recharging our batteries, we travelled for 40 minutes to Ratchaburi's former city hall
I actually go to Ratchaburi a lot, but still have to make a sightseeing trip.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Re: Ratchaburi enables visitors to experience the lives of its early Chinese settlers

Post by PeteC »

Probably the difference between somewhere in Ratchburi Province and Ratchaburi town, the capital.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As far as I can see, the article starts in a completely different province.

Having said that, I was up there 2 weeks ago for something other than football, and our journey took us past some amazing things. We will have to return for a couple of days soon to have a proper look. Unbelievably, there is a lot more to Ratchaburi than Mitr Phol Stadium :D.

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I always forget about the bat cave, which I have been to, and it was a very memorable experience.

I'm not too interested in ceramics, so I'd give that a miss.

The sights we passed en-route to Rajabhat University, Chom Bueng 2 weeks ago included Mountain Snake Stone Park, plus we saw a couple of signs for caves, including BG's Khao Bin Cave, a couple of interesting looking temples worth a look, and a sign for a nice looking waterfall. All together within about 10 to 15 miles driving.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I also forgot the Damnoen Saduak floating market, which is a touch further South, but is authentic as any floating market that I've seen in Thailand. I've taken a few visitors to that one, and a good time has been had by all.

Points 48; Position 20