Kasikorn K PLUS mobile banking app

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Kasikorn K PLUS mobile banking app

Post by buksida »

For years I have kept mobile banking apps off my phone for security reasons (have already had one phone stolen), but it seems I no longer have a choice.

Since Kasikorn revamped their website, they're now forcing customers to download the K PLUS mobile app to verify any actions that used to require a OTP. My first attempt to do this failed but then I figured, it'll only work in Thailand so disabled the VPN. Then it tells me I can't use WiFi and have to use data, so at extra expense I load some internet onto the phone.

Now comes the hassle of registering it, which it won't allow me to do after rejecting my passport number and date of birth and tells me to physically go to the bank (whats the point of online banking if you have to go to the bank :banghead: )

The reason I need it is to renew the K-bank Web Card because they won't let aliens have a real credit card and their debit card seldom works for overseas payments (I tried that first, also rejected). I've tried to do this on their banking website, but it won't allow it and is forcing me to change the security to K PLUS ... which won't let me register.

Anyone else successfully using K PLUS? Did you have to go to the bank first to get it working?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Kasikorn K PLUS mobile banking app

Post by joelle »

Also had problems with 2 other banks and ended up going there and they sorted it all out for me and for now everything seems ok
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I updated my phone and as such 'lost' the functionality of my Bangkok bank mobile app

Reinstalled it but (despite me filling in paperwork 10 months ago) they still had my old phone number!

So had to do all paperwork again and was told to wait for an SMS in 14 days!

Bloody nuisance. And for some odd reason I cannot pay people using the Web based internet banking in the meantime!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel wrote:I updated my phone and as such 'lost' the functionality of my Bangkok bank mobile app

Reinstalled it but (despite me filling in paperwork 10 months ago) they still had my old phone number! Image

So had to do all paperwork again and was told to wait for an SMS in 14 days!

Bloody nuisance. And for some odd reason I cannot pay people using the Web based internet banking in the meantime!

Ps I know it's not K Bank but.......

to be fair to Bangkok Bank, having criticised them above, they told me 14 days but they did it in less than 48 hours. So I'm up and running again.

Good luck with K Bank

Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

An issue I had with the initial install of Thai banking apps was the presence of a vpn on the phone even if it was not being used. Not sure why but once the vpn was uninstalled from the phone things worked.
Have had online banking both from here and the UK and not had any major issues so far. I also had to go into the banks here to get the online accounts up and running which was a relatively painless although annoying. As far as OTP,s go and two factor authentication where required I hate it as I do not always have access to a phone signal. It has meant that wherever possible I have the phone over internet option active. Some of the passwords expire after a couple of minutes which on many occasions is not long enough so I avoid having to rely on these as much as possible (mainly when I am at work).
The Kasikorn app works well and my wife uses it to pay utilities saving a visit to the office. It is also good when using online shopping apps.
Basically it can be a pain to set up but once running is more helpful than unhelpful. This is based on a few years use from more than one bank.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:For years I have kept mobile banking apps off my phone for security reasons (have already had one phone stolen), but it seems I no longer have a choice.

Since Kasikorn revamped their website, they're now forcing customers to download the K PLUS mobile app to verify any actions that used to require a OTP. My first attempt to do this failed but then I figured, it'll only work in Thailand so disabled the VPN. Then it tells me I can't use WiFi and have to use data, so at extra expense I load some internet onto the phone.

Now comes the hassle of registering it, which it won't allow me to do after rejecting my passport number and date of birth and tells me to physically go to the bank (whats the point of online banking if you have to go to the bank :banghead: )

The reason I need it is to renew the K-bank Web Card because they won't let aliens have a real credit card and their debit card seldom works for overseas payments (I tried that first, also rejected). I've tried to do this on their banking website, but it won't allow it and is forcing me to change the security to K PLUS ... which won't let me register.

Anyone else successfully using K PLUS? Did you have to go to the bank first to get it working?
Yes. I posted on the forum about kplus and the web shopping card when they disallowed using web banking alone with otp. I ended up going to the bank.

It is very strange. You can't modify web card limits on the app, only by web banking. In fact you can't even connect the shopping card with the app. But you can only authenticate the change you made in kplus. Data connection is only required for first time kplus set up.

I think SCB also has one of these web shopping cards and I almost thought about looking into using that bank. Don't know if any other bank has such a service.

I do like the fact that if you only allow funds when buying something and immediately afterwards set available funds to zero that's quite a nice safety feature.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Gregjam wrote:An issue I had with the initial install of Thai banking apps was the presence of a vpn on the phone even if it was not being used. Not sure why but once the vpn was uninstalled from the phone things worked.
Have had online banking both from here and the UK and not had any major issues so far. I also had to go into the banks here to get the online accounts up and running which was a relatively painless although annoying. As far as OTP,s go and two factor authentication where required I hate it as I do not always have access to a phone signal. It has meant that wherever possible I have the phone over internet option active. Some of the passwords expire after a couple of minutes which on many occasions is not long enough so I avoid having to rely on these as much as possible (mainly when I am at work).
The Kasikorn app works well and my wife uses it to pay utilities saving a visit to the office. It is also good when using online shopping apps.
Basically it can be a pain to set up but once running is more helpful than unhelpful. This is based on a few years use from more than one bank.
My Bangkok bank mobile app has failed again after just one transaction and about 1 hour of time.

I have removed a VPN app(even though it wasn't in use) rebooted and the app still doesn't work

A visit to the branch now seems essential

Odd as this app worked seamlessly for over a year

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Off subject a little, but reading the above, it all sounds like just another Thai app (I'll bet money it is reliant upon QR Codes :shock:). I have avoided it so far, not wanting to put my money's management into the hands of Thai technology.

Everything I'm reading just sounds so familiar e.g. will only work with human intervention, works when it feels like working, etc.

I may be a dinosaur, but I'll stick to old fashioned paper money as long as it is possible.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't have a choice BB, what I want to achieve cannot be done without this app now. It all sounds like another Thailand 4.0 story; "using tech to make your life harder."

Off to the bank it is then, to grapple with trying to describe the issue to some airhead dollybird who would rather be playing with her phone. :banghead:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:I don't have a choice BB, what I want to achieve cannot be done without this app now. It all sounds like another Thailand 4.0 story; "using tech to make your life harder."

Off to the bank it is then, to grapple with trying to describe the issue to some airhead dollybird who would rather be playing with her phone. :banghead:
Have you tried the help desk? They do speak good English.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:50 am I don't have a choice BB, what I want to achieve cannot be done without this app now. It all sounds like another Thailand 4.0 story; "using tech to make your life harder."
I fully understand, and I know they'll probably suck me in one day. I will resist as long as I can.

Already, I can no longer go to the cinema because I don't have mobile banking to scan their QR Code :cuss: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

buksida wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:33 pm Anyone else successfully using K PLUS? Did you have to go to the bank first to get it working?
I've been using it (and it's predecessor app) for over five years now. At the time I started using it I didn't have to go to the bank to get it working, as far as I can recall.

On the thing about using cell data, I only had to use cell data the first time I used it and after that it allowed me to switch back to WiFi.

In the past it used to ask me to switch to cell data once in a while (something about verifying I was still using the same phone SIM, I believe) but it seems to have stopped doing that now.

In all the time I've used the app it's always worked seamlessly. Never had a problem with it that I can remember.

I particularly like the way I can use it to get "cardless cash" from ATM's, especially because between my wife and myself we've had about 3 cards that have stopped working and that the ATM's have refused to accept at different times.

There have also been times when I've forgotten my wallet but since I always carry my phone with me, I was still able to get cash, no problem.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Finally managed to get this to work by going into the bank and getting the girl to phone someone in Bangkok who wanted me to verify I was me before they let the app register to my phone number and passport number. Then there was much faffing about at the ATM to get it to actually function (which it does now).

Also enquired about a credit card and was told I could have one because I had money in the account, but come back another day because it takes time and nobody is in the mood to do their jobs today.

Thailand 4.0 at its best!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:47 am Also enquired about a credit card and was told I could have one because I had money in the account, but come back another day because it takes time and nobody is in the mood to do their jobs today.
Please keep us updated on this one.

Points 48; Position 20
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I got a debit card from Kasikorn, which is accepted in most places just like a credit card. But to get a real credit card, I should buy an unnecessary and expensive life insurance.